Maximum protection is not ensured - HTTP / POP3 / Firewall

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by adza, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adza

adza Registered Member

Hi,

In the last two days I've come across this problem twice, on two different clients computers.

One was running EAV, the other ESS.

Trying to recall on EAV I believe it said something about POP3 and HTTP filtering not active.

On ESS it says that Eset Personal Firewall is disabled.

After running numerous scans (including malwarebytes) no infections are found.

After a lot of digging, I've found that this is NOT an Eset Smart Security problem. The problem lies deeper within Windows itself!

Looking into services - I see that Windows Firewall Service, and Base Filtering Engine Service are gone completely! Not just disabled - but deleted completely from the services list!

I believe having at least BFE and Windows Firewall gone is the cause to this Eset Error.

The solution I found to the first problem was to run a few .reg files I found on the internet to restore both BFE and Windows Firewall back into Service. Once done, open up regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE. Add Everyone to the list of user permissions.

And after that, then reboot the computer, open up services, and start those services. Once done you may need to reboot a second time also had EAV come back up again.

The reg files can be downloaded from:

http://www.mediafire.com/?317ea53a883288d

http://www.mediafire.com/?z6aw8j7997qa7j9

Unfortunately I have not found an all-round easy 'fix' for it yet. (ie, an application made to repair the computer. Windows fix it appears useless in this instance). While the above appears to have fixed the problem - I don't like telling clients to modify their registry. I'm also concerned that there may be other changes made to the computer to reduce the security that I'm not aware of.

Has anyone else come across the same problem and can offer any advise?

Cheers

Adza

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.