Maximum disc space and control of archives

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by blazer, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blazer

blazer Registered Member

First attempt at backing up my system.....using B&R 10 Free edition....
    Have accomplished two full backups and have not graduated into diff or increm quite yet.....
    Backing up data to an external USB drive, which already contains test backups from another PC.....
    How can I control the number of full backups? I would like to be able to schedule only full backups, for the moment, and would like to use some of the space on the external HD for other data as well.....
    I've been through a lot of this forum and have already gone through the user's manual more than once without finding but only one reference and that was in cyclic backups and the software doesn't sync with it.....

Appreciate any assistance......blazer

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Cyclic backup doesn't control max size, but you can specify the number of full backups to save:
    Cyclic Backup Wizard.jpg

Additionally you can create second partition on external drive for full backups only. Then cyclic backup size will be limited by partition capacity.

3. blazer

blazer Registered Member

Appreciate your reply and it's primed another question.....
    Seems like I discounted the cyclic option since it didn't allow to "check" the Basic Disk box, which gives me the impression that it wasn't a "full" capture....
    see the attachments.......if you attempt to check the Basic box, or "full" in the standard Backup option, it will allow you to but it won't ungray the Next button in the cyclic option. If you proceed further, just by checking the C: drive only, the size of the backup is exactly the same in the cyclic as it is in the basic backup.....why doesn't it allow you to check the same boxes in cyclic.....gives me the impression that I wouldn't be able to completely restore my entire drive with the cyclic data.....cannot determine if there is any difference in the data that is backed up.......can you see any?.........blazer

Attached Files:

4. Mech_An

In the Help section of Paragon product there is a warning:
    The current version of the program enables to make a cyclic backup of only one partition at a time.
    So you can use cyclic backup for one partition only.

In general, there is no need to backup MBR and First Hard Disk Track each time. You can backup it once, save, and restore is needed after System Partition restore.

If you restore partition to the original location, MBR restore in not usually required.

5. blazer

blazer Registered Member

Thank you Mech An, you have solved my problems with B&R10 Free.....
    I've also been looking at Sys BU 2010, as it seems more simplified....I am also scoping these out for a few that have considerably less PC knowledge than I and Sys BU looks to be more user friendly......I wonder if it's more versatile.... ........what're your thoughts on it versus B&R10 Free? .......blazer

6. Mech_An

In my private opinion, B&R10 Free is more flexible and it doesn't need specific backup storage (Backup Capsule) as System Backup.

New System Backup is almost the same as Cyclic Backup, but has less settings.

I think, System Backup appears to be more user-friendly for not too experienced users.

7. blazer

blazer Registered Member

Yes, I think I will give Sys BU 2010 a try for now......
    Thanking you again, Mech An......
    You've been a big help........

blazer

8. Mech_An

I'm glad to know that. Thank you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.