Maverick Meerkat on a Mac Machine - Lots of M!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Something rather unusual for today: A short review and a screenshot tour of Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat on a Mac, including phenomenal hardware detection with Wireless adapters and graphics card via Additional drivers, Bluetooth devices, USB and FireWire external storage formatted with HFS, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-maverick-mac.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Cool. I've just resurrected an eMac, gave it 1Gb ram, popped in a wireless card and over-clocked it with one solder joint. I needed to replace Panther and install Tiger or Leopard (it will not take Snow Leopard) to get pages such as youtube to work...but now you've made me think and will play with some distros.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Inspired, no doubt, by my Natty Narwhal nixes Gnome ;) ;)

4. Mrkvonic

I wrote this about a week, a week-and-a-half ago, when did you post yours? :)
    Mrk

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

And they say Linux has trouble detecting hardware, LOLOL! understatement and FUD galore, good review Mrk, nice take on those looking to try out Ubuntu on Mac.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi Mrk,

nice review again, as usual. However, this was only a live cd test, was it not, so even though it detected the hardware and even offered up some drivers, how can this conclusively determine Mac hardware support without actually attempting to install it on the machine, then test further for proper functionality? Please elucidate me if I'm misunderstanding things here, but a live cd tour just doesn't seem a thorough enough test for compatibility on the Mac hardware.

7. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Except the ATI driver, which needs a reboot, everything was configured and working properly. Everything. The fact you also have drivers for your ATI card indicates that after the installation, you would get a prompt for the same, install it and enjoy full 3D accelleration to the best capabilities of your card and programs supporting its use.

So, the live CD is as indicative as possible - when things work.
    When they don't, they might work after the installation, but not vice versa.
    So in fact, the live CD is the most modest subset there is; in fact, you may get even more functionality after you install, especially if some drivers need a reboot.

Mrk

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I wonder whether Mrk, by utilising his persuasive powers, would be able to coax his brother into installing Ubuntu for keeps ?
    When that happens it will surely be newsworthy ? :argh:

PS. Thanks for the review - very enlightening.

9. Mrkvonic

My brother is almost as geek as me. However, for him Mac is a tool. It's not that he dislikes Windows or Ubuntu or anything, he just uses the best tools for the job. As I do. Very simple. If and when I decide that Mac is what I need to do, I will buy and use one, or two, or five.

P.S. He may have an Ubuntu installed as a virtual machine.

Mrk

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

thanks god my brother is not a geek when he was sleeping i make ubuntu dual boot with its xp and tweak every thing including making all media files play in vlc.auto updates...etc

now he is using ubuntu only :D

11. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

one thing very good thing about your tutorial mrk

you can recommend old mac users like meriadoc say to look at ubuntu as option as well before spending few more $$$$ :D

thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.