Matousec`s Tests (2011-06-20)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by flaubert71, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Sorry my message was for alex_s not for you, I made a mistake with the quote.

About what you are saying you are just getting the popups that your software is able to control, if without whitelist and installer mode you get less popups that other products without whitelist and installer mode is because your product control less stuff.

2. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

In this case product MUST be tested with these settings. This is what most people use, but almost nobody knows what REAL security level this mode provides.

In reality we have situation where people see a product being top-rated and use it in default mode thinking that they are top-protected. Don't you see a trap here?
    And then they are very surprised when their configuration fails CLT (if it is only CLT then they are really lucky, for it could be something more evil) :)

3. guest

guest Guest

Most people dont read matousec test, most people don't even know what an HIPS is and most people don't want popups. This is not a test for "most people"

No I don't see a trap for the people interest in an HIPS test. Matousec say in the intro that the products are configured with the max settings, there is no trap.

4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

LOL. Most people do not read intros. End of the story :)

In any case matousec results are useless for most people and have nothing to do with product real usage. Unfortunately, people do not understand it, as a rule.

5. guest

guest Guest

That's right :D Everybody just jump to read the results ;)

Because:
    :D

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I think they should change the colours, ZoneAlarm's green makes it stand out and look better than the blues.

McAfee is giving Matousec a red rating, while the same is happening the other way around.

7. guest

guest Guest

It's because you can download the tester tools from his website, and they are consider dangerous

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/matousec.com/downloads/

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't mind prompts as long as rules can be created so I don't get the same prompts repeatedly. It all makes me very tempted to dust off the Outpost Security Suite license I have and install it.

I'm also anxious to see how ESET Smart Security 5 will do as I have a license for that as well.

9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I agree Jack. One time prompts are not a big deal.

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

So?
    AV Testing organizations,
    like av-comparatives and av-test,
    demand from their Test Participants (= Software Vendors)
    to pay to get their products tested.

When av-comparatives and av-test do it, it is right
    BUT when Matousec does the same, it is wrong ??

Is it a crime that Matousec (a Firewall/HIPS Testing organization) asks for a fee?

11. Hungry Man

Even if Matousec were the only company to charge... how does that effect any one of their tests?

12. carat

carat Guest

If you pay more your product will be tested again and again (until it's the best of all) :gack:

13. guest

guest Guest

If you pay more, no, If you pay for testing your product.

If it's the best is because you have improve it. If the other vendors don't pay for test their products is because they have not improve it and they are going to score the same.

Do you think that AV-Comparatives is free? or Av-test? or any other tester? probably they request 100 times more money than Matousec, and if you don't pay your product is not tested.

14. Hungry Man

Aha... I don't think that's how it works...

15. carat

carat Guest

No - but they don't retest your product 15 times :) That's a "small" difference ... ;)

16. Hungry Man

I don't see what retesting will do if it's the same test and the same product. Unless they outright pay them off to change the results.

17. carat

carat Guest

If you pay again you are allowed to fine-tune your product before it will be retested :rolleyes:

Matousec is rubbish ...

18. Hungry Man

Fine-tune as in turn up the safety levels or what-not?

19. Hungry Man

20. carat

carat Guest

Fine-tune to block 20 special samples from Matousec - but only if you pay :D

There are several threads about this issue - enjoy it :thumb:

21. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

Why do Companies send their hipsless products and pay for it? Don't they know that they will not be recommended?

22. guest

guest Guest

Of course not, they retest the av's several times a year with different malware (only a stupid person would do it with the same files) because the malware is dynamic, the malware change over the time, and the HIPS protection is quite static, if you don't see the difference...

Obviously you don't know what are you talking about.

Special samples? so special that they can be found all over the internet and they can damage your computer. The purpose of an HIPS is detect any action able to do this, but probably you don't know what an HIPS is.
    You are allowed not to fine tune but to fix the bug of your HIPS, does not matter if you pay or not, and then you can test yourself if you have fixed the bugs using the suite for free.
    The suite used to test the HIPS is available for free in matousec website.

Matousec update the whole test for free 1 time a year or less, if you want your product to be retested before you have to pay.
    Probably he should remove all the products that does not have an specific HIPS or doesn't have any kind of program control according to their websites, but is not that bad to know how good is the program control of different security software even if they don't specifically say that they include an HIPS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
  23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Remember that Matousec tests are more like a HIPS test :D

24. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Aren't all products initially tested for free? From Matousec FAQ/product requirements link;

'Question: How can I request a testing of my favorite product?
    Answer: Simply visit our contact us form and send us names of the products you would like us to test. Your votes for testing these products will be added to our database. When we receive a significant number of votes for a single product, we will include it in our tests.
    '

It doesn't say; 'When we get enough votes for a certain product, we will ask the vendor to pay us to have it tested'.

And if memory serves me right, it's only the follow-up tests that cost money.
    I.e, those companies that fix 'bugs'/tune their product for Matousec's specific leaktests and opt for a follow-up test, can get a higher score.
    Afaik, that's the 'business model'.
    Read the vendor responses beneath the test results. link
    Some write; 'Thank you for including our product in your test'.
    Not one vendor is gonna thank a test organization if they had paid upfront; 'Well, thank you so much for testing our product, after we already paid you for it...:rolleyes:'

25. carat

carat Guest

Exactly - if you have enough money they will retest your product until you're the winner :)

There is no reason to trust this "business model" - it's just irrelevant ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.