Matousec Firewall Challenge = new Test

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by GES/POR, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lisalus

lisalus Registered Member

I don't know why nobody has mentioned this, but Matousec shouldn't have updated the results of OA! It really undermined their credibility.

Since OA 2.1.0.119 came out after the initial test, it's cheating!:mad:

Besides, the developer of OA paid for the new test. :mad: Take a look at what Matousec says:

I liked OA and I trusted Matousec's tests, which convinced me that OA was the best firewall available ... but not any more!:thumbd:

2. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

The main mistake people do about this testing they do not understand what these tests are about and what are they performed for.

The main thing to remember N1:

Matousec runs his private service and thus he is free to pick up whatever tests, criterias and priorities he personally wishes for his testing.

The main thing to remember N2:

Matousec is not idiot, he is clever man who wants to get money of the work he does.

The main thing to remember N3:

Matousec makes a great work for vendors looking for the holes in their products. And as far as he is not idiot he naturally wants to have some outcome.

The main thing to remember N4:

if you are not IT professional you'd better not to visit Matousec at all. Otherwise you are in a great risk of making wrong conclusions.

The main thing to remember N5:

complaining Matousec you help him to get more power and more popularity and make more money with less work. Think about it.

PS. As for OA. I see nothing wrong with paid testing which should reflect the current situation. Any vendor can submit paid testing every day. Twice a year Matousec runs free testing. This info is published on his site and is avilable to everybody who wish to play his game. The vendor of your favourite product can submit testing and get the results right now.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hopefully some of you are not losing sight of the fact these tests are run under an admin account. If they were run under limited accounts, these POC tests would not even get off the ground, let alone cause failed results. If write rights (no pun intended, heh, heh :) ) are removed from key directories, then there is no threat to even worry about.

4. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

I checked with Comcast tech support and they are working on it. Said he could access from Canada and may just local DNS problem. On Comcast forum other people are having accessing various sites. You would think they could figure something is wrong and fix quickly.

5. lisalus

C'mon! We don't have to be an IT professional to find the tests untrustworthy because they are biased and unfair. (LOL)
    Anyway, these responses don't make sense and sound a bit awkward to me. I mean, I am not sure how they are related to my comments.o_O

BTW, I am very surprised to hear that you like their tests now.
    As far as I read your posts before 3/25, you seemed skeptical of them.:eek:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  6. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Then you have missed the clue. I like the technical side of the tests, but I do not like how the rating figures are calculated. These are two completely different things. For example, you may like how your car keeps a road, but can dislike its color or how noisy its engeen is. Does it make a sense ? Can you say the total yes or total no in every case ?

As for the worthy or unworthy, I dunno. I think they are worthy for the vendors in case the vendors address security holes or bugs revealed by the tests, not sure about fanboys. Do fanboys really need any results except "Program A is best forever" ?

Edit: BTW, if you are not satisfied with Matousec you have an excellent option. Go to testmysecurity and be happy.

7. pitzelberger

pitzelberger Registered Member

Can I also pay him to not publish results on my firewall? In case that I am vendor of firewall which does not preform good in leaktest.

8. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Yes, you can, but only in case you paid for the test. The test that are run for free do not have this option. Another question. Are you sure you know what vendor used and what vendor didn't use this option ? It may appear, that your favourite vendor used this option.

9. lisalus

Well, I guess you know the answer. Obviously you are a kind of person who wants OA to be always on the top.

10. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

You do realise that all of the top 3 vendors - Outpost, Comodo and Online Armor have requested retests of their products as they improved, don't you?

What is so bad about asking for the latest version of your product to be retested after putting in work to correct bugs?

11. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

You are right. The only mistake is it is not because I'm fanboy, but because I paid for the product and excellent score is a witness I made my investment right. This is why I care only of the excellent score, but I don't care how many other products have excellent score too. Let Outpost, Comodo, Jetico, Kaspersky get an excellent score and I will be the first who will say congratulations to the users and show respect to the vendors.

Edit: OK. may be I will not be the first :) But I will not surely bush the top-rated product and its vendor. I'll bush my vendor, rather, that he scrored excellent result. And may be I'll make my own technical research and point out why I think some tests are incorrect. This is also possible.

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Well now it seems we got Mike upset over this stupid Matousec Firewall Challenge. I hope we're satisfied. Next thing you know Melih will be in here, and after the Scott Finney thing, we know how he can get. LOL. I just had to add that I doubt many of us even need a software firewall/HIPS let alone worry about all of this testing. A good AV and perhaps a router firewall would most likely do fine. The reason I mentioned an AV is that I actually uninstalled AVG 8.0 because of problems with it, and now use 7.5. It doesn't have the best detection but it runs well on my PC and I like it. My point is that because it "runs well" on my PC I would purchase it over an AV with better protection rates that doesn't. Same goes for a Firewall/HIPS program. So again my thing is, since both Comodo and OA already do well in these tests, how about fixing things that prevent some us from using the one we like most? I really don't wish to disparage this Matousec. But I have used and liked PC Tools Firewall which while doesn't do bad, isn't nearly as good as Comodo or OA according to his tests. So what? Add ThreatFire Free and you have decent protection. One last example here. I like using Avast Home with OA Free, but guess what? I can't use OA because of explorer exe problems. Understand now why I could care a less about Matousec's tests?

13. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

Well i would say it's clever marketing!! after seeing this in your sig one would have to ask is this why OA paid for the retest? ;)

14. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

As noted in my original post, I personally see nothing wrong with
    Matousec and the vendors helping each other make money. However,
    it seems clear that Matousec derives a significant portion of his
    revenues from vendor fees, which, to my mind, makes him something
    less than independent. That needs to be made abundantly clear in
    big bold letters somewhere. When vendors, the PC media, and fanboys
    constantly cite his work as authoritative, the buying public is
    easily mislead to the contrary.

15. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Will it satisfy you if you know that OA users requsted Tall Emu to retest OA to be sure OA addressed the holes Matousec has found ?

Yes, this is marketing. But this is civilized marketing, this is normal marketing. You make something better and you want that the public new about it. What is wrong here ?

There is dirty marketing, though. It is when you bush your competitors instead of addressing the holes.

16. HyperFlow

With All Do Respect It's not about if i'm satisfied if the users had to push OA to pay for a test in witch it failed. than it seems that the OA users did not fully trust there software! that they paid!! for or was using the free version. I do not see any of the other FW company that was tested along side OA making the same request.

17. pitzelberger

Comodo just did it. :p

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thats right, but fact is you don't know if it happened or not. Mike Nash is open enough to come in here and say it.

19. HyperFlow

well some time a person has to eat there words and now it's my turn comodo did pay for a retest
    but it was not user driven it was CEO driven. I know it's one in the same.

20. pitzelberger

It was posted on matousec's page. *puppy*

21. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

My opinion is they (other vendors) either are not sure in the score, they (other vendors) are not so fast in fixing the holes or they just don't care about the tests. Anybody is free to take either option.

As for your psychoanalizis .. I dunno. I'm not psychoanalitic, I'm just tech person and only can talk about technical things.

22. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Ya, but Melih had a good reason. Tallemu did it just for marketing since they have a paid product it will do way more for them, then it will do for comodo.

23. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

Two years ago, Comodo was a name nearly unknown to the general public.
    All its freeware promotional efforts have garnered it greatly
    increased name recognition. In a well run company, that kind of
    public awareness can be worth millions in revenues in the long run.
    The execs at Comodo are smart folks.

24. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This is really great news. From link provided most of all I liked this statement:

===
    I do believe David is honest and credible and will do the right thing and improve his services.

thanks

Melih
    ===

I vote for this statement by my two hands and I hope that in the future no user of no product will be unhappy with success another product achieved.

25. minoka

minoka Registered Member

Maybe there was...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.