Matousec Firewall Challenge = new Test

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by GES/POR, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Coolio, you are missing me again :(

In case we don't count execution alerts Comodo fails the test, because this is the only alert Comodo pops. But OA passes, because AFTER execution alert OA shows ANOTHER alert where you can see WHAT THE TEST TRIES ACTUALLY DO. OA shows the URL where test tries to connect and gives you another chance to stop it being more aware of what does it do.

No offence. You are not technical guy. Right ? (I mean IT professional)

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Attention. I just got an email from Melih(CEO of Comodo) . There will be a new release coming out tomorrow that is 100% Matousec test worthy. All it took was a 40 minute fix.

3. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Amen to that. I hope with this news Comodo fanboys will get calmed down and we will be able to continue the thoughful discussions :)

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Wow, if this is "thoughtful discussion", we are doomed :rolleyes: :)

5. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Hey, didn't you notice a shadow of irony in my words ? :)

6. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Give up now...........
    Those settings were the antileak mode. If the full D+ was activated than.......

Attached Files:

7. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

Looks like D+ is showing it's power once more. ;)

8. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

You are kidding ? I was talking about wallbreaker3 from ssts. You show me something else.

9. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Looks like Coolio is cheating. I say walbreaker3, he shows I don't know what :)

10. noway

noway Registered Member

I've been trying for days to get through without success. I use Rogers Cable in Ontario, Canada. You are not alone. I'm going to assume I'm not missing much and give up.

11. Shotwick

Shotwick Suspended Member

Well now, It's only a matter of time for another 'Holey site' to come up with another test of 60 undocumented windows features where current top security products score a nice 5% at best. :rolleyes:

12. subset

subset Registered Member

..and give again many users of the 4.9% and 5.0% app the sufficient opportunity to make a fool of themself. o_O

Cheers

13. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I would like to see more competition where "all" the bugs some people are still experiencing with either program get worked out. While these Matousec tests may be important to some people and make the product appear better than another. I believe it ends interfering in the fixes some us are waiting for. If I or someone else can't use Comodo or OA because some bug prevents us from doing so. Then it obviously doesn't matter which product gets the best "Matousec" rating, at least to me. Besides I am personally still not 100% sure that Matousec's tests are anything more than a way to... Well you can be your own judge to his true motivation. Seems both products are good enough now and I'm hoping both companies soon stop being a slave to this Firewall Challenge. From what I have read in the Comodo forums, although a fix has already been made to correct the current Matousec Comodo "failure" . I believe Melih is getting a little fed up with it all and will start focusing more on other improvements. From what I have read in the OA forums, this is important to Mike as well. So let the real competition begin where what ever product one chooses, it runs well on our Computers.

14. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Seconding every word, but the whole picture needs some additions. Dreaming of the ideal world one should not forget that:

1.) the main goal of any product is market success, either it is paid or free doesn't matter, I mean users' choice.

2.) to achive it you cannot ignore just a single marketing factor (these includes stability, tests results, functionality, usability, human factor etc etc etc).

3.) as far as the resources are always limited any vendor always faces a need to distribute it. In case he moves all the resource to stability ignoring marketing he follows OS/2 vs Windows way. Buggy Windows succeeded in the end.

4.) The true success formula is known to nobody. Though, some users think they know it, relying on their personal limited needs and experience.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  15. subset

subset Registered Member

Hm... sober-minded Comodo and OA users should host a site like "The Matousec Aggrieved Party" and publish all known bugs, issues, glitches, incompatibilities, feature requests etc. for both apps. :cautious:

Cheers

16. Coolio10

That was wallbreaker Test 3. What is SSTS?

17. Coolio10

Please don't make me create a video....it is an awful waste of time.

18. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

SSTS is " Security Software Testing Suite", and it can be found here:
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/security-software-testing-suite/
    This is the set of the tests Matousec worked out for his new testing program. They come with the sources. And I can say thank him for the sources, because they are very interesting :)

19. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I mean you performed not that test I talk about. Your wallbreaker is outdated ancient test that was included in the old testing program. Not a surprise that any developing product passes it quite well.

And sorry. I see you are not cheating, but just not too familiar with the context of the current testing. BTW, The number and (which is important for me) content of the alerts OA pops with this old test is not a bit less impressive. I'd say it is more impressive, but as long as this is outdated and simple test I don't care much in comparison. New tests Matousec developed are much more interesting and sneaky. You see from the results that Jetico performed them not too good, while it was on the top according to the old set.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  20. Coolio10

I cannot access matousecs site. I have rogers cable like the guy above which blocks it or something.

21. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Hm .. What can I do ? The site is accessible from here right now. I think you can ask somebody from Comodo guys to provide it for you. I'm sure they use it in their testing.

22. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Jetico failed the termination tests, not the leaktests (except SSS2). However I'm not denying that self-protection is important for people that don't use a HIPS.

23. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Then take, please, my apologies. I'm far from bushing Jetico. Jetico is great firewall. While I like the new tests set as they use quite real malware techniques and developed in very decent way I'm not happy with the methodology itself Matousec uses. Product may accidentally fail level 1 and all the rest is not taken in account. As a user I want to know the results of resisting to all the techniques, not only who is winner today.

24. Coolio10

Not sure if matousec allows uploading it somewhere else.

25. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Matousec allows download of this pack, sure. I have it in my inbound downloaded from there since the first day they published this new project. And if you wish I can send it to you (and to everybody else who is interested in technical details but have the problems connecting Matousec web site).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.