Master Browser stopped??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Marja, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

HI! OK, I don't know what this error means? Do they mean the Browser service? It's fine,it says? The default browser? And why does my computer insist it is a server?

I just got dsl,(a week ago) but last night I timed out here, there and everywhere until finally my computer said it couldn't find the internet! The connection said it was good, no problems, but the EventViewer is the only place I found any clue?

Did all my scans, with McAfeeVS, A2, Spybot, bazooka, have SpyG, SpywB, nothing showed up. Have PG free, also. Have winSP2 updated, with Firefox. (cleaned out cache, too.)

Thanks for any help in advance!

Marja:cool:

Attached Files:

2. Marja

Also, I just got this a few minutes ago. Is that about what it should be? I never had it until today.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

3. Marja

I looked in MS Knowledge it has none, most of these questions are for servers.

I don't know what will help, but this is all I found about the type of error.

Attached Files:

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi Marja, sounds like it's network related. first thing I would do is to check if you have the latest drivers for your network card. (hence your change to adsl, maybe it's good to reinstall the driver completely)
    http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/driver-sla.php?driver=4401-XP

that's the latest version of your network driver...install it and see if it fixes the prob?
    Thanx

5. Marja

I installed a new driver last week but I will check and make sure, Thanks, Infinity!:)

6. Infinity

what is your default browser Marja?
    I would try to change your network settings to half duplex to see if that's the problem.

next I would do is to check upon the services to see if some of them are disabled (webserver, terminal services, netbios protocol is disabled Marja?)

Andy

7. Marja

Checkin all that, Inf!

8. Infinity

just don't worry Marja, I don't think you need to format your puter ;) ...

9. Marja

The services are disabled, except is that Net Bios Helper what you are referring to as the net bios protocol?

I have Yahoo, but I have been using Firefox, instead of Yahoo's IE browser, does that conflict?

Haven't changed the net/settings, will do that. Thanks!

10. Marja

Duh! Where do I change it from? Sorry!!

11. Marja

OMG!! I wasn't even thinking that, don't say it, I think my computer likes being formattedo_O

12. Marja

I just tried to use that Help and Support that will tell you the general status of you computer, and it just blinked off?

Should I keep those services disabled?

Thanks Andy!

13. Infinity

Hi, I don't know what exactly is causing the error messages. I am affraid that "the master browser" can be translated many different ways and can be interpretated differently...to many possibilities at this moment...

Either way it is you don't have a default browser: this can be enabled/checked in your browser settings (make this browser as your default browser)
    Another reason could be there's something wrong with your network (the change to adsl can be causing this IF this hasn't happend before...) or your services settings.
    I don't think it's spyware related (that would be too easy ;))

if you want an detailed description on what services should be enabled:
    http://www.dead-eye.net/Windows XP Professional Services Details.htm#Terminal Services

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm and I guess you can take the column: default pro

14. Marja

I checked that box for it to notify me when the connection was limited or lost and it didn't notify me, either.
    I am looking in Yahoo's Help Section, but alot of stuff there, but I am here.

15. Marja

OK! Andy, thanks for the help!

Have a great day!

16. Infinity

mine too :) the relationship is deeper then we sometimes think

if you follow the list: default pro you will get your services like when you installed your machine some time ago...that should enable everything as supposed...

another thing is open command prompt (start - all programs - accessories - promt/dos)

then type:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE (watch the space between ipconfi"G" and "/" ) that should reset your IP

then type:
    ICPONFIG /RENEW (again the space between G and / ) that will create a fresh IP

that could help too :) I still don't know exactly what is causing this Marja so for what is worth I hope it's helping anyway

17. Infinity

have you tried system restore to go back in time when you didn't had that error? I don't like it but sometimes it is the only way to go

18. Marja

I think I will try the command prompt first, it usually helps me figure stuff out, I am with you, System Restore doesn't solve the problem, but if the choice is no internet,,, no choice, right?!?LOL!

Thanks!

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

First and foremost....Master Browser in this case is not referring to the Browser you surf the Internet with.

"I just got dsl,(a week ago)"

Tell us a little more about your setup Please....are you using a router, other Home PC's connected to a home network....etc.

20. Marja

No other computers and it's a "2wire" home portal monitor that comes with the package deal? It says it's status is OK. No problem, but that is what it said last night too.

I knew that wasn't what Master Browser meant, but can't find anything about it?

Thanks, Bubba!

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  21. Marja

What other info would help?

22. Marja

Since I am on the internet now, should I be changing anything? I just want to know what to do, in case it does it again? The notifier for the connection sure didn't tell me anything.

Thanks!

23. Marja

OK, Yahoo says if the limited connection status shows up - turn off the notifier o_O

OH! that's a big help! LOL!So, they want you to ignore the message I guesso_O Weird!

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  24. Infinity

lol I would find that very weird too :) it's kinda hard to find out what exactly is causing this...whenever I find something like this, most of the time I had installed something the day before :) I hope it will get solved Marja

25. Marja

THANKS! Andy!! Yes I thought that was a very dumb answer! I mean - "Oh! just ignore all those warning lights, that's the way!" They must get alot of laughs over some of those packaged answers they have!

I am going to DSL forum, there might even be someone with the same prob!

Thanks though! Have a great day!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.