massive page file usage run amok

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by amok, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amok

amok Guest

I'm having a problem with computer occasionally using massive pagefile - over 2gb and taskinfo reports it while computer is so hard to control as everything runs is slow motion. I don't see anything in taskmanager using a lot of memory but I can hear my HD and see the light is constantly on. No scan is being performed and no defragment is either. I found this - maybe it relates because it's new. I have never seen it before. any thoughts on this. Thanks for your help and time.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4654/yahoo3dj.gif

2. amok

amok Guest

3. amok

amok Guest

problem remains

4. amok

amok Guest

5. Alec

Alec Registered Member

In Task Manager are you just checking the default "Memory Usage"? You may also want to check out "Page Faults", "Page Faults Delta", "Virtual Memory Size", "I/O Reads", and/or "I/O Writes". Something has to be using it, and unless it's a rootkit or a bad driver as you alluded to... then it will show up somewhere. You might also want to play around with Performance Monitor ("perfmon"). If it's a kernel-mode driver or rootkit, you might be able to use the Driver Verifier ("verifier") to monitor pool & resource usage to see if you can track anything down.

BTW, what utility did you use for that screenshot? Rootkit Hook Analyzer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.