Mapped drives disconnecting

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Warmart, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warmart

Warmart Registered Member

Hello,

Over the weekend I converted our LAN (15 boxes so far) to ESS 3.0.669.0. Since then we are having mapped network drives "disconnecting" at random.

We have many apps that expect the drives to be active, yet we have to go in Windows Explorer and physically click on the drive letter, and then retry the app (which then works).

It's seems to be random, but perhaps there is a config item somewhere within ESS that I could change to prevent this? Did not happen with our old NOD32.

Thanks for any help.

2. Warmart

Found another post directing to disable "Reverse TCP Desynch." on all workstations, so I'm trying that.

Fingers crossed.

3. Warmart

That didn't work. Might've "delayed" it a tiny bit, but not enough.

I am having people lose data now. Databases that expect a mapped drive to immediately respond are failing, and archived Outlook .pst files on a mapped drive are failing randomly - causing emails to get deleted but not archived.

I need a response on this very soon. I can not accept an impact like this.

4. KarlBeer

KarlBeer Registered Member

Oh Man! I feel for you.

Make sure the LOCAL HOST isn't blocked on the Server....

5. clyde123

clyde123 Registered Member

Hi Warmart
    I have what is probably a similar problem at a customer site. A number of PCs using one file server computer, all using ESS. After a short period - maybe half an hour - some or all of the PCs lose the connection to the server.
    I've had this problem since March. Yesterday I opened another thread to see if anyone had found a solution, but no repsonse on that.
    There were a few threads back at that time (March) about similar problems.
    Sorry but I don't think this has been fixed.

6. Warmart

Yes, this is not a good thing. Real nice of ESET to respond, greatly appreciated guys. On my 3rd year of being a business customer, and I'm seeing how important my 25 licenses are to ESET. Either you guys know all about this (how couldn't you - as mentioned there are other threads about this) and choose to ignore it, or you think everyone will forget about it and go away?

This is MAJOR guys - 'cmon, how about an official stance?

This is just one of those bugs that should've been found and squashed while in BETA. Pretty serious implications when shared drives disconnect. I would imagine many other users on a LAN w/servers and/or shares have this problem. If they don't have "behind the scenes" systems that expect these drives then they may not ever notice it as the drives always reconnect if you manually click in Win. Explorer.

I've tried to disable everything I could in the firewall, I wish it were easy to disable subsets of the system, as in past NOD32 editions. LOCALHOST isn't blocked that I can see.

7. Warmart

Put in an official support request, via the ESS app itself, and get a "canned" (probably automated) response. They didn't read what I said, they didn't look at the config I sent (as requested).

Well we really like the Anti-Spam features of ESS - but the support is terrible. Must be nice to be a big company and not have to worry about *little* issues like mine.

8. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

This is one of the problems that caused me to eventually remove ESS from our Network. I reverted back to EAV for all work stations and this problem and several other issues have disappeared. Further info below for anyone bored enough for a rant.

Our biggest issue was intermittent corrupt databases from MYOB, Access and ANZ online, which were all using mapped drives. After recovering files from backups and losing data for the third time, I removed ESS about two months ago and we haven't had a single issue since. I persevered with ESS for the first four months of this year. At one stage one of our Access backends would go corrupt several times a day but a simple compact and repair would fix it - I even taught one of the users how to repair it as it happened so often. This Access backend will be on SQL Server in a few days but it hasn't gone corrupt even once since reverting back to EAV.

A few of the other issues that magically disappeared were intermittent BSODs, persistent hangs at applying computer settings, the infamous Event 6004, general slowdowns, slow surfing, some sites like Adobe not loading at all, unexplained loss of Internet access for several minutes, conflicts with ISA 2004 Firewall Client, Outlook data file closed incorrectly (we don't use PSTs), Incorrect TCP Packet Checksums, Skype disconnecting mid call, corrupt firewall settings, virtual machines not working and above all, user complaints. I tried many uninstall, clean, reinstall and retrain but eventually simply gave up.

We run SBS2003 and EAV V2.7 with XMON on the server and a mix of Vista and XP clients all on EAV V3. I'm more than happy with EAV and have been for years but ESS was a dog's breakfast for us. I still run ESS on my development machine because I would like to reinstall it on our Notebooks one of these days.

It's also fair to note I haven't had any issues for ages on my work machine or my home computer both running Vista 32 and ESS V3.0.669. :)

All my issues may well have been as a result of running the ISA 2004 Firewall Client (FWC), which we need for Skype. According to this thread, it's a known issue.

So, in answer to your problem and much as I hate long rants, I resolved the issue by removing ESS. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.