Maplestory- Same story as Gunbound?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by nadirah, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Let's talk about another multiplayer online game called Maplestory.
    With reference to a thread posted back in 2004 about gunbound:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=47827&highlight=softnyx

Recently, the South East Asian version of the multiplayer online game Maplestory from www.maplesea.com has implemented a 3rd-party protection program called nProtect Gameguard to prevent players from running external cheating programs in the game client. Note this from the author's website:

With the introduction of the nprotect gameguard software, will this in any way have the same problem as the one in the thread about gunbound?
    It seems that Asiasoft, the author of the South east Asian version of Maplestory, has resorted to using programs like these to fend off players' cheating mechanisms.

I myself am using ProcessGuard and I would like to hear everybody's opinions about whether using ProcessGuard will prevent gameguard from working properly. From my own analysis, any game that uses nprotect gameguard will not work if the user uses Processguard to prevent gameguard from working.

Also, from my processguard logfiles, it seems that PG has prevented the nprotect gameguard from terminating smss.exe on my system.

So, the question is, is nprotect gameguard helpful or harmful? It prevents players from hacking/cheating in the game client, but at the same time will it interfere with the processes belongning to other security programs on the computer? It seems that what this gameguard program does is to prevent players from cheating in the game and the program itself ATTEMPTS TO TERMINATE ANY PROGRAMS ON THE COMPUTER IT DEEMS AS CHEATING PROGRAMS AS DEFINED BY THE GAME'S AUTHOR. So, I would like everybody's opinions on this nprotect gameguard and whether it is good at all in any way.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    You will most likely not be able to use PG and the game.
    The same goes for CounterStrike, America's Army, WoW, and such. All these games use anti-cheat software that needs to scan system files. PG will not allow that. Even if disabled, you might have troubles.
    I think you will be forced to choose.

Personally, I play games with PunkBuster anti-cheat software. The software usually does not collide with security thingies. I did have one pc that did have trouble with PunkBuster, due to high security, but the affected software was the game and not the security.

Mrk

3. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I personally think nProtect to be one annoying piece of software. It has so many conflicts that I would dump Gunbound if it was not so addictive when playing with friends.

And I believe even if you disable nprotect's access to physical memory it would prevent the guard and the game from working. I had problems with Antihook for this reason.

I remember that Ewido also called nProtect a trojan. If this is a falsepositive or not, I do not know, but it does not bode well for these games just because they do not want "cheaters".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.