mandriva linux powerpack

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    i was gonna get windows xp with the pc im gonna build soon but...
    windows pc oem costs £50.
    mandriva linux power pack costs £40 and has lindvd and wmware
    there is only one program that i use everyday that i cant use in windows which is sony sonicstage.
    can i use wine or wmware to emulate windows just to use sonicstage?
    and for that do i have to buy another license for windows xp?
    because it has everything i would want to run.
    if i need another license for windows xp i could always usen that windows license in wmware in linux to test secuirty software as well as using it for sonicstage.
    ive heard of a pogram called parallel something. it can visalise windows i think but i dont know much about it. any links will help
    thanks in advance
    lodore

2. malformed

malformed Former Poster

Why buy the powerpack? There isn't a need unless you're doing so to support Mandriva. DL the free 2007 version and install what you need. I don't know what sonicstage is? But it may run under wine (no license needed). LinDVD isn't required either; download the dvdcss and you can play DVDs with any media player. Use http://mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php and add the repos you desire (PLF).

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I thought the power pack had more features that you had to pay for.
    where do i get dvdcs?
    and i dont get what i do on that link you gave me.
    also you dont get cedega with the free version.
    if i was to buy the pc with windows xp i wouldnt need the paid version but if i used mandriva solo i would need the extra features in the paid version.
    lodore

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  4. malformed

malformed Former Poster

I can't imagine the Cedega included with the powerpack isn't any more than some sort of trial, they're a subscription service $5/month or $55/year.

The features of the Powerpack are
    that's about it. The Vmware included likely would be the freely available server edition and support and troubleshooting can be had for free at http://mandrivausers.org/

Easy Urpmi is used for adding repo sources, select your version, architecture, and package manager. Select the mirrors for each source you want. Hit the proceed to step three button, then copy n paste the output into console as r00t. You'll be interested in the PLF (Penguin Liberation Front) sources, where you'll find things like the DVDcss packages.

If you want the latest packages which can be and often are unstable, select 'cooker' for the version on Easy Urpmi, which I wouldn't recommend to a new user, I suggest you use just the 2007 sources.

There isn't any real need to 'buy' anything, but if you're a gamer Cedega and/or CrossOver Office may be considered necessary. CrossOver doesn't do as much on the game end, but could be handy for those that insist on MS Office rather than OpenOffice.

For what it's worth, and while I'm not a huge gamer, I haven't ever shelled anything other than a few donations for anything Linux.

5. malformed

malformed Former Poster

I guess that answered your questions then lodore?

Please BEFORE you go out and make your purchase (PC), download all the top distros and give them a try on your current box (Dual boot), take the time to get comfortable and find the distro that best suits your needs. You can do it without spending a dime, I'd like you to save the 40 pounds.

Best Wishes :)

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes it does.
    i could eiether buy windows for it for £40 or just buy the pc itself without windows and just test the best linux distros on it.
    i could just test out some more live cd's
    lodore

7. malformed

malformed Former Poster

You can always buy an OEM copy of XP at a later date, it only takes the purchase of a hardware component to qualify : such as a hard drive - although many small business will sell an OEM copy without meeting that requirement. I hope your experience with Linux is great and that you save yourself some money. :) Mrkvonic is a good resource here, and there's tons of help available on Linux forums, Wikis, and IRC channels. While the learning curve may seem difficult at first, it doesn't take long to 'get it' if you stick with it - stranding yourself without a copy of XP will help facilitate that. You'll be thankfully that you did, if you do. Personal growth and acquisition of knowledge makes life more fulfilling and enjoyable, the freedom you'll gain is priceless. :)

I wish you the most success.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thank you.
    all i would need really is wmware or wine to run sonicstage then im sorted.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.