Mamutu

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by rollers, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollers

rollers Registered Member

If running mamutu, do I still need to run a software firewall as well? I am behind a router with built in firewall for incoming.

Thanks Rollers

2. Matern

Matern Registered Member

IMO Mamutu and a Router is enough protection, because Mamutu can detect Malware that tries to go outside.
    If you dont install Malware at yourselve, with ignoring the Mamutu Popups, and your machine is hardened, you will have no problems.

3. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Mamutu should alert you if a program is acting like a Backdoor, so no.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Your router will provide protection from incoming malware, but not from outgoing. IMO you need a security app to monitor & alert you to outgoing connections under certain circumstances such as...

1- If malware somehow sneaked past your security wall and installed itself on your computer, you would want to be alerted if that malware tries to connect out (especially if it is a keylogger). If you are notified when an application tries to connect out, that will give you yet another chance to spot malware & put an end to its dirty work.

2- Sometimes even NON-malware apps will try to call home, without asking your permission to do so. If you are notified when they try to connect out, that puts YOU back in control over who & what initiates connections.

It isn't necessary to have a full-on software firewall to monitor outgoing connections. For example Dynamic Security Agent (it's free!) will do the job, as will System Saftey Monitor (paid version).

5. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Many thanks for that. I have enough paid for software these days, its always a job to draw the line somewhere, so I have opted for the PC Tools free offering, light, simple and the traffic icon reminds me of the early zonealarm offerings.
    Running fine here with Nod32 av, mamutu and admuncher.

Regards Rollers

6. bellgamin

You made a good choice. The PCT firewall has many satisfied users here at Wilders, as manifested by topics such as THIS one.

Mamutu just did a nice upgrade to its main engine. Mamu-san just keeps getting better & better WITHOUT getting bigger & bigger.

By the way -- Christian has indicated that they plan to add the capability for advanced users to set additional rules -- optional, of course. I, for one, look forward to that ( I loooove to tinker).

7. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

That's true:thumb: :thumb:

8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Do someone uses Mamutu with DriveSentry ? Any problems ?

9. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Is it necessary to run Mamutu w/the 'community' on? I ask this because I have read some disparaging comments about their community resposnes.
    Can Mamutu be easily setup tp prevent outbound 'leaks'? If yes, how?
    Thanks.
    Hugger

10. bellgamin

No, not at all necessary. It is totally YOUR option to use (or not use) the community.

Yes, it is easy to prevent community &/or all other automatic connections by Mamutu. When installing Mamutu, the "install wizard" ask very clear questions in order to give you the opportunity to accept or decline use of community, automatic updates, etc. Those same settings can also be easily changed AFTER installing Mamutu.

Mamutu is already installed on my computer, so I will only provide screenshots (SS) to illustrate "how to's" for use AFTER installing Mamutu...

On SS#1, note that I chose NOT to enable auto updates. I prefer to do it manually.

As to opting "in" or "out" for community, click the "Configure" link as shown on SS#1. Doing so will take you to SS#2, where you can check (or uncheck) the community-use box. If you choose to use community, you can also select the percentage of users who must agree before their choice will be used by you. I chose NOT to use community. Therefore, Mamutu NEVER connects out unless I initiate it.

HTH! Aloha... bellgamin
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SS#1
    ScrHunt01 05-Oct-08.gif
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SS#2
    ScrHunt02 05-Oct-08.gif

11. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

bellgamin,
    Thanks for your reply.
    However, I didn't phrase my question properly.
    I thought I had read somewhere that Mamutu could be used in place of an outbound firewall/hips program. And if it can be used that way, how do I set it up?
    Perhaps I misread.
    Hugger

12. bellgamin

I do not know of any way whereby Mamutu can be configured to alert about outgoing connections.

If you want to monitor outgoing connections without using a firewall to do so...

+By user-specified advanced rules, Threatfire (a behavior blocker) can be configured to monitor connections.

+System Safety Monitor (a classical HIPS) will monitor connections by virtue of simply adding a checkmark to activate its network rule.

+Dynamic Security Agent (a special kind of HIPS) also will do that job.

13. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

bellgamin,
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Hugger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.