"Mamutu: The end of an era"

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ichito, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Or even $40 price tag and a lifetime license. This would pay the bills for at least the 3 months of work and give you a greater user base for your products.

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wait what, did he mention EAM 9.0? :argh:

3. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Even if everyone who is actively using Mamutu right now, including all trials and free licenses, would pay $100 it wouldn't pay the costs of turning Mamutu into Freeware and compensate the loss caused by delaying all other products by at least 3 months.

4. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

I did ;).

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Never knew Mamutu was basically built for the cloud. Correct me if I'm wrong, but error messages aside, it still works adequately offline in the current version right?

Both are suggested for your educated opinion. I think neither updates or a default whitelist are necessary, but the latter shouldn't require much effort. If the former is approved, then the update process should only modify the default rules or new rules. How it updates doesn't really matter to me, it could simply be providing a download link with a date stamp, if that's the most efficient for the company.

Anyways, since Emsisoft decided only the cloud data would make it a worthwhile endeavour, you can just make the freeware upload votes, yes/no, and maybe other choices that won't change in the future.

6. manolito

manolito Registered Member

Since my current computer has very limited resources (1.1 GHz cpu, 576 MB of RAM) a pure BB has always been a godsend for me. Even A/V software with a reputation to be very light on your system (Panda Cloud or BitDefender free) do slow down my computer considerably.

My solution right now is to continue using the latest version of ThreatFire with added custom rules (provided by Kees1958 ). Zero system slowdown, still adequate security. In addition I do an on demand scan (Malwarebytes) at least once a week, and yes, I do take my backups seriously.

So far I have never been in serious trouble with this approach...:isay:

Cheers
    manolito

7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Hmmm. NVT ERP seems to thrive on this model. Their license is $19.99. But Im sure you guys know what you are doing.

8. TF's kernel code hooks file and registry api's. So when you run into a TF targetted malware (disabling its medium rights/non-admin processes), your custom rules protecting registry startups and windows/program file directory will still be active. Also TF being an abandonned program with little users, makes it unlikely it will be used in anti-security kits (of malware writers).

9. guest

guest Guest

what's that suppose to meano_O

10. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I think Fabian Wosar made VERY clear already that they won't be giving away Mamutu for free. Deal with it.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Any info you want to share about it? :argh:

12. Ripcord

Ripcord Registered Member

Just me but EAM 9.0 = Antimalware and Online Armor under one hood....AWESOME....:thumb:

13. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Originally Posted by justenough
    A small point: Fabian Wosar said views on this thread, not replies.

Fabian Wosar: "Delaying EAM 9.0 and some other not yet announced products for at least 3 months to turn a product that had less users over the past couple of years than there are views on this thread right now, simply isn't worth it."

guest: "After hearing that you have less users than reply's in this thread I understand why, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, but that is life, waiting to see what you may have in the wings coming out"

Views at the moment: 2160
    Replies at the moment: 61

These numbers are a bit more than at the time of the posts.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well then to add the proverbial nail in the coffin to yet again another once-upon-a-time popular security program, good riddance and R.I.P. along with Novatix's CyberHawk turned PC Tools Threatfire.

A single ironic. lol

15. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMHHHHHHHHHHH, IMAGINE ......:cool: EAM 9.0

OA component
    Builds a whitelist, guards intrusions, runs internet facing software in SAFER-container :thumb:

A2 component
    ONLY checks non-whitelisted binaries (fast . . .), filters out malware with two engines :thumb:

Mamutu/IDS component
    First checks reputation in the cloud (what did other users do?). When new sample, tracks behaviour of this unknown binaries (for a compete-de-install when it turns out to be a maleware), sends data to cloud servers where binary is analysed off-line :thumb:

Blitzblank component
    When malware, the quarantaine/uninstall script for Blitzblank is downloaded from the server, after reboot infection gone completely :thumb:

Nice Good, bad, unkown and the ugly combo IMO

16. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Mamutu wasn't built for the cloud. Mamutu was built because several years ago almost no AV had a built in behavior blocker and people wanted to use a behavior blocker alongside their AV. Nowadays almost every AV at least advertises built in behavior blockers. Whether or not they actually have a behavior blocker or whether or not the advertised one is any good, doesn't really matter. Same thing with firewalls really. People know their AV/IS has a firewall integrated and everything else doesn't really matter. In their mind, that checkpoint is off the list. Add the fact that there are no tests for behavior blockers, so you can't just point users to some objective results, and you end up in a situation where you try to sell a product to people that they think they already have and you have no objective way to convince them otherwise.

Whether or not Mamutu would function adequately offline greatly depends on your definition of adequately and how much popups you can handle. Personally I would take a classical HIPS like OA Free over Mamutu at that point. But that is just me.

Actually, what I did try to make clear is that we tried for a long time to find a model to make it Freeware but couldn't come up with one even after months of going through possible solutions. They either end up with a product that simply doesn't meet our quality standards or those changes quickly amount to such a large resource investments that the benefits will never outweigh the costs.

Yes, the ETA: When it's done ;).

The number of views at the time of my post was around 800.

17. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

That is actually what the new cleaning engine in EAM 8.0 already does. Well, it doesn't contact the cloud for removal information. But instead it analyzes several hundred possible loading points on the system to be able to cleanly cut out all references to malicious files and remove/quarantine them.

18. guest

guest Guest

I understand now:D

19. From malware analysis, you problably would know what consequetive malware was downloaded. When malware uses random names, it would be a static analysis whether or not an unknown loading point is malware or not.

With the IDS component tracing down all file/registry changes of suspicious (grey category unknown installation/execution), blitzblank would have more reference information. For most up to date anti-dote script the cloud mechansme would be ideal, falling back to existing analysis of all load points when no internet connection would be available.

No comment on other three "imagine ..." components, means I am wrong, off by far or will be included ;)

20. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

You could make it open-source with a GPL :D

21. Hefaistos22

Hefaistos22 Registered Member

i read somewhere that i can migrate from my mamutu licence to EAM , and get the new licence key with the remaining time from my mamutu licence. is that true? because i wrote to emsisoft support but i havent heard anything back from them yet :doubt:

22. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

How did you contact our support? By email, ticket or forum? Can you please PM me your Mamutu key then I'll get you the correct EAM license information asap.

23. Hefaistos22

Hefaistos22 Registered Member

i contacted them by email, but i recieved my answer today already :thumb: things like this makes my happy, that i am emsisoft customer :)

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, top notch support!

25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

R.I.P. Mamutu.:( Best BB ever. Great thing it's now integrated into EAM.:D:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.