"Mamutu: The end of an era"

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ichito, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichito

ichito Registered Member

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software...ontent=onlineversion&utm_campaign=offer130624

Probably the latest standalone BB on the world was dead :oops:

2. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Great product yes but this decision makes a lot of commercial sense.
    More power to Emsisoft :thumb:
    Hopefully it brings us closer to the all in one suite now.

3. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Perhaps you are right but...

I don't like IS :doubt:

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

R.I.P. :(

Btw, for people who still have licenses and want to keep it installed:

5. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

This saddens me. I would nevrr buy mamutu (i dont belidve in oaying for software) but first threatfire and now this? Why is the security world aiming at taking out true BB? Oh well, atleast comodo BB is on the distant horizon:)

6. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Rest in peace Mamutu. :doubt:

7. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

But Comodo bb will be same as Mamutu, i.e only integrated in to the suite.

8. spywar

spywar Registered Member

We don't know. Do you know ? :D
    Maybe a single product and also integrated within the suite. Maybe it will also be available in CFW as well as CIS. But it's sad to see Mamutu disappearing..

9. ZeroDay

Comodo bb will not be stand alone, is it stand alone now? No.

10. ZeroDay

Mamutu will still be around you'll just have to install EAM to use it :)

11. ichito

ichito Registered Member

@Breakfastofchumps
    Comodo's "BB" is not BB in fact...
    Of course we can have Mamutu in EAM but is not the same...I think many of us prefer standalone tools to build own layers of protection and that move of Emsi is something like killing famous software even if it will exist as the module in other apps...no matters. The title of Emsi article is the sign of the time...this the end of some important era in security developing...the era of HIPS/blocker/monitor...Mamutu was the latest...as I remember...such app...the latest living/surviving representative of the "species". BoClean - in Comodo...DSA in Privatefirewall...ThreatFire already in some apps from Symantec...Mamutu in EAM...and there is no other "the next"

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I hate that well respected apps get killed off, but I'd be all too happy to see the end of the "era" of HIPS (even though I'm actually not expecting that. Someone else will bring a product to the table). They were never good for anyone except the technically inclined and babysitter-types who liked dealing with it. For the rest of consumers, the ones who really needed good protection, they're convoluted and often do more damage with wrong configurations and misunderstanding than they actually prevent.

We need more effective, yet completely out of sight solutions. No one needs to be asked what their computer or a program should or should not do. That's a completely backwards method of security.

13. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Comodo's BB coming with V7.

14. itman

itman Registered Member

From a marketing point of view, this makes sense. I suspect Emsisoft is trying to keep EAM prices in the range they presently are. Very tough given the recent "fire sales" all the big name AVs has been having lately.

15. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Comodo BB as is is not a BB just a renamed sandbox. When I am reffering to a BB.i am talking about products such as Threatfire and Mamutu.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It feels like this is a good decision in the long run. :)

17. guest

guest Guest

Well, they will never get another penny from me:thumbd:

18. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I will miss Mamutu, a long-time favorite of mine to pair with Sandboxie. Thank you Emsisoft for having provided and maintained this nice little Behavior Blocker. But things change, and Emsisoft has already converted my Mamutu into a couple of years of EAM. Seems more than fair.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

If Emsisoft feels the need to retire the standalone Mamutu. version and end support for it completely then it seems to me it would be in their interest to throw it away as FREEWARE now. Such a move could only serve to better advance their image globally IMHO.

20. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Well that would be pretty awesome, but why would one use a product that is no longer (or will soon no longer be) supported?

21. ZeroDay

I was referring to the upcoming full bb.

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The point exactly, thanks.

As one of those rare oddity programs that was initially designed to help prevent Zero Day malwares uniquely by intercepting/suspending their action in pre-path entry, the so called Behavior Blocker added another useful layer to MS windows systems and was seen as a compliment to your more common security solutions such as AntiVirus and AntiSpyware programs.

Just because vendors as well as freelance & independent developers either end or abandon their programs and support doesn't necessarily end their usefulness. Some programs are strangely timeless.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I still think Mamutu needs a lot of improvements . . . oh well. :D

24. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

I believe I remember correctly the only reason to have "support" for Mamutu is updating the white/black lists and to query the "community" servers for the percentage of users who chose an action when a behavior took a hit (both of which could be disabled). Updates in recent past for the app itself were minor maintenance as Mamutu is certainly a mature product.

Mamutu could very well be good for quite some time yet. At least for Win7 and previous.

Emsisoft would get some real community kudos if they'd bow out of this by publishing a perpetual license.

Yes, I know. No commercial sense...

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I wonder if they feel too restricted to just release the solo Mamutu. to the freeware scene because it's still integrated in their flagship product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.