Mamutu or ThreatFire or PrevXEdge with a free Antivirus?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rivalen, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I don't see a problem with PrevxHelp responding to topics which mention 'prevx' in the title because he's not starting the threads, users are. However, some users do get carried away with posting a new topic instead of reading through detailed information which already exists.

I think for comparisons, it needs to be in a separate thread, like this one, otherwise users of say DefenseWall or ThreatFire might not be able to give their opinions, as they might not even read the prevx thread, assuming, it's only about prevx.

Back on topic! :)

DefenseWall + (anything) = solid protection. Anything added on top is a bonus.

DefenseWall + avira was mentioned in the first response. Sounds good for checking any files you want to keep.If you're using DSA and enjoy it, I think you'd prefer Mamutu. But if you don't want to shell-out more dough ($$), go ThreatFire.

If you want something light, I'm yet to try it, but am thinking of trying only DW and prevx. DefenseWall on its own, plus common sense, is basically enough.

2. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

The topic names 3 different products and asks for feedback.
    All of the company reps have the opportunity to give their feedback.
    Unfortunately some people appear to enjoy being bleeding deacons.
    That's unfortunate to see in such a good forum.
    Hugger

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

All I'm trying to do is clarify things about our products - this is technically a thread which is putting various products head-to-head so I wanted to make sure that all of the information presented was accurate. It is not my intention to try and peddle products around, I'm merely looking to help users (not a sales person at all :))

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

My comments were not directed at you.
    I was aiming for the poster who seems to have a problem with your participation in this thread.
    Hugger

5. PrevxHelp

(Yes, sorry about that - I clarified my direction by quoting the post :))

6. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

This thread was started to get a comparision-discussion. So explaining how Edge works is OK to me.

I am leaning towards Antivir - DW - DSA, but has decided to give PrevX Edge another chance because I believe communitybased is interesting for personal use, but dont know if companies will want this interaction. I have uninstalled and cleanup and defragged my PC and have installed Antivir + Edge in that order and DefenseWall will be installed last to see if that makes a difference to compatability.

So I ask;

- Whats the difference between Edge payed and Edge trial when it comes to - monitoring realtime or not - pls compare to evaluation monitoring.

- Am i right believing that I will get a warning about malware with trial evaluation monitoring, but will not get any blocking or removal until I pay?

- Normally you should not run two AVs alongside oneanother. Can Edge and Antivir enhance protection when both are active together or should I disable one or the other to use as scanners only?

- Has PrevXEdge ever been tested at ie AV-omparatives?

For me Mamutu was not smooth so I uninstalled.

Best Regards

7. PrevxHelp

This is correct and this is the primary difference - paid Edge gives you cleanup and actual protection against malware (system load is the same).

We have made Edge compatible with other AVs and a number of users here are using Antivir alongside Edge without problems :)

No it hasn't, and it is a bit conceptually incompatible with how AV-comparatives and other test organizations test antivirus software as its focus is in behavioral monitoring and it requires analysis over the internet (which many testers do not want to give us).

Let me know if you have any further questions :)

8. Rivalen

Installed DW last of the 3 - its seems its fast. If it keeps on beeing fast thiswill be my setup forquite a while.

Virtumonde! Romanian fotball team is blue and yellow - right? So is the swedish one. So why not have the same security setup? :)

Its early yet, but I hope this holds what it promises. Edit: Sofar its really fast, so I must believe that cleanup plus installing DW last was a good move.

Best Regards

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  9. Rivalen

Kees, I am not sure I understand. I have activated outbound in TF and it pops as it should - even its own updates and notofications gets a pop.

Should I see anything about TF in resource protection in DW?

(So I landed whit the same three proggies I started out with. Hope I learned something during the process:cool: .)

Best Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.