Mamutu and ThreatFire make a nice couple.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

If Comodo Firewall Pro and ThreatFire is a good idea. Why wouldn't Mamutu and ThreatFire be too? I have had them running together now for several hours and so far everything has been speedy with my PC and Internet browsing. Not that Comodo slowed it down any. But since I'm behind a router firewall and want something more conducive for the average PC user. Wouldn't unchecking some of Mamutu's protection that overlaps with TF and using them together be all right? I know they are both behavior blockers, but I read they use different technology. Also Mamutu shows what applications are trying to connect out, and both have the Community Protection that Comodo doesn't have just yet. I like Comodo, but for an easy to use and informative set up. I think Mamutu and Threatfire make a nice couple. Of course Mamutu has a price tag, but it seems to be a very stable and reliable software. Just curious about this is all.

2. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

You should give it a month or two and then post your results about how well they make a nice couple. :)

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

are you talking about the newest TF 3.5 with Manutu ?

I have had bad experience trying to match TF 3.0 with Mamutu, each try ended in BSOD, but have not tested the combination involving TF 3.5 yet.

Please let us post after few days of time, can you ?

4. duke1959

Are you saying there is something I should know? LOL.

5. duke1959

Uh oh. What was your bad experience? A few months ago I had ThreatFire 3.0 and a-squared Anti-Malware with it's IDS enabled running together for several weeks, but didn't have any troubles. ( Yes I actually kept them on my PC that long. LOL. ) Maybe if one detects something there could be a problem though? I was just thinking if ThreatFire can be used with Comodo why not Mamutu. I'm on Windows XP and have the XP Firewall enabled. I also have Avira Premium with the Web Guard installed. I realize anyone of the three software's is plenty of protection along with Avira. But so far TF and Mamutu have been getting along and I guess time will tell.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Anyone know how well Mamutu does on leak tests?

7. duke1959

I doubt it would do as well as OA or Comodo, but I'm not personally that worried about a firewall's leaktest abilities. Also my PC seems to run better with Mamutu and TF than it did with TF or Mamutu and any of the software firewall's I tried.

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yeah, you should know that using two similar software that digs so deep into windows as this type of software does, is asking for trouble.
    I wouldnt be surprised if you after a couple of weeks start to complain about false positives for example. ;)

9. duke1959

I understand what your saying. I know Kees1958 has stated that TF hooks deep into the system. I just think the two different technologies and the Community Protection they have would help make them compatible and a safer combination than using either one with Comodo Firewall Pro. I know Comodo has a lot of users, but there are less problems posted in the Mamutu and ThreatFire forums combined than I see in Comodo's.

10. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

I don't get these newer threads trying to tell people to use two hips programs together. It doesn't make sense.

11. duke1959

I'm not trying to tell anyone to run two HIPS together. I'm trying to talk myself out of doing it. I could install a third party software firewall, but if Mamutu is running well with TF why do that? I'm behind a router firewall and as I mentioned there have been plenty of posts in the Comodo forums about problems with it. Actually I wish I knew which one of the two (Mamutu and ThreatFire) truly offers the best protection.

12. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Just pick one and go with it. Then install a software firewall. That's the best advice you'll get.

13. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

duke1959 likes a light set-up, and TF can be config'd with advanced rule-set to replace the firewall with no additional hit on resources. Don't get him started on another firewall-kick, he's busy enough trying out HIPS-combos as it is. lol :argh:

14. duke1959

Yeah listen to 19monty64 he knows me. LOL. Besides I'm happy so far with TF and Avira and Comodo Firewall Pro. Whoops. Ok I installed Comodo to see which runs better with it. Mamutu or ThreatFire. Mamutu can be shut down and has the more polished GUI, but TF is suppose to be the more advanced protection. I may just keep Mamutu and TF. We'll see though. TICK TOCK.

15. 19monty64

:ninja: I'll be waiting...

16. duke1959

OK. I ran Comodo Firewall Pro with Mamutu before installing TF and everything was fine. I just recently used Comodo with Threatfire and everything was fine. The thing is that my PC and browsing is a little faster with TF and Mamutu together than it is when using either one with Comodo. Since I am behind a wireless router firewall and have Avira Premium installed I think either TF or Mamutu would be plenty of added protection. However, after running Mamutu and TF together again today. I still think they make a nice couple. So I guess you didn't have to wait too long huh 19monty64? LOL.

17. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

The problem is running two behavior blockers at the same time is like running two anti virus at the same. It results in unexpected behaviors and you cant be 100% sure that they will work right if they detect something malicious. Just my two cents.

18. 19monty64

I worry about running TF with AntiVir, as BelArc says that I have 2 AV's with active-scanner on. Caught me off guard at first. Running 2 HIPS would cause me the same concern, at first... Let us know how the combo goes, for as long as you keep them both installed. lol

19. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

No need to worry about TF and Antivir. I have been running them together for about 6 months without any issues whatsoever. I now have TF 3.5 level 3 and Antivir 8.0 High hueristics and they run great together. I also use Geswall for the browser.

20. 19monty64

I'm wondering if AntiVir could (or should) be used for on-demand scans since TF's shield is AV-enabled. It's running fine on this pc (many months) but with the AV-sigs now added to TF, it just sounds like a conflict waiting to happen...

21. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Well I guess it depends on which version of TF we are talking about. I believe TF 3.5 free only uses the AV definitions with on-demand or scheduled scans if selected in the menu. I think the freeware version on level 3 is more a malicious behavior tool. I think the paid for one includes the virus definitions in real-time. I could be wrong but like I said before, I have never experienced any conflicts with the 2 security apps.

Al

22. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Working fine here also. Avira and TF.
    There should be no conflicts.
    From TF web site.............

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  23. duke1959

Nice post LoneWolf. I would think other security programs would include Mamutu. I have read that Mamutu and TF use different technologies for their behavior based detection. Realizing however that I don't really need both programs I guess it just boils down to which one I should keep. It's hard though because Mamutu has an Application Rules monitor and logs any Malware-IDS actions which are basically just Firefox accesses and the TF updates that I originally allowed. On the other hand I think that TF has the bigger Community Base and the better overall protection.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  24. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I'm running TF Pro 3.5 at level 4 with APSS 8. I've run Mamutu previously. I have to say that at this time TF is the stronger of the two. It simply offers more usable features (IMHO) than Mamutu.

25. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Why would you get more false positives this way?

Doesn't this depend on the exact things that are monitered by both programs? I reckon that not all behavior blockers monitor things in the same way? How would one notice any conflicts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.