Malwarebytes vs SUPERAntiSpyware vs Prevx vs.... vs 1000 samples

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You make some valid points, Daveski17, and I appreciate that you can listen to mine.
    I'm glad you are here learning along with the rest of us. :)

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well, security is just so important now, especially on Windows. When I get my desktop up & running I will run Ubuntu.

It's been good talking to you. ;)

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I've downloaded many portable programs, some not easy to find, that have been packed 'like malware'. Keep in mind, if a program such as Prevx, MBAM, or others report on a safe file, the person writing the software might have coded it 'like' malware.

Something to consider before dismissing a product based on a few FPs. Ask yourself how widely available the program is, and is it one author (new to programming) or many.

4. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

What this shows is that a single solution is not enough. No single product can catch everything on a given day.

Bottom line, you need more than one product to provide any sort of protection these days.

By the way, for those situations where you can't install a scanner, you can use SUPERAntiSpyware Portable which can run from a USB drive or network location and does not need to be installed or uninstalled:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/portable

5. progress

progress Guest

That's great, how often do you update SAS Portable? :)

6. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Ance:

For what it is worth,I downloaded my copy of SAS Portable on January 20th of this year.
    It updates deadly quick from its GUI exactly like regular SuperAntiSpyWare.

(although I appreciate this would be of no service without an internet connection)

When I downloaded a new example today,central standard time 2:17am,March 4th 2010,
    the definition numbers were Core:4637 and trace:2449 version 4637 dated 03/03/10

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  7. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Prevx has consistently stated that the true results of Prevx are shown against LIVE malware. The only tests I've ever seen with Prevx against live malware, have been very good....certainly much better than the figures MRG come up with.

8. guest

guest Guest

So what is the point? beacuse Prevx is not as good on demand scan than in live detection they must not test it on demand? :blink:

9. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

well....prevx's strength is on execution scan....HMP/mbam free is basically an on demand scanner.....so to bring them on a test table with one of them having its hands tied(read prevx) errr...is not justifiable.....is it ?

10. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

I have the full PrevX+SafeOnline and am happy with it.
    So I comment due to accuracy problems I see.

PrevX has a buy option of 'Malware Clean up' only, no real time!
    In which case it is valid for PrevX to be tested 'on-demand'

IMHO the value of having many and varied tests is that they can keep our favorite vendors on their toes.

11. guest

guest Guest

This is the worst justification that I ever read.
    The test is ON DEMAND so prevx got a score, what is the problem? Prevx have a button for ON demand scanner, is a feature of the program and they tested it thats all. Now you dont like the tests and they dont know how to test it (poor noobs) just because prevx do not score as you want?

As I said before they will repeat the testing but on execution, so them the MBAM fans could come here and say that is unfair because MBAM is better on demand and Prevx is cheatting...

12. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

well there is always a first....worst:D :D :D

no problem.....

well no.....imho....hitman is probably the best on demand scanner today....and prevx is probably one of the best cloud based am....some use both as a layered setup too;)

well....well.... test do test for there are not many for prevx/A2 etc...but ideally(my subjectivity:p ) test dr web cureit,HMP,mbam free,SAS free together and test mbam pro,prevx,sas pro together.....

A2 is an exception though.....its good in both

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  13. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

The portable is updated each and every time we do a definition release, so 3-5 times per DAY.

14. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Hi Nick/mr. Skrepetos, would you care to give your opinion on this test by MRG and/or especially the result?

Not to validate (or the opposite) their test(ing procedures) but there aren't that much comparative reviews for the tested programs.

If you don't want to, I can appreciate that because one way or the other, you might end up in something that ranges from a heated debate to a full blown trollfest. (not meant as criticism, mods)
    Still, if you'd share your thoughts on the result, I'd be much obliged.

15. onigen

onigen Registered Member

That's impressive. I'll put that in my tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.