Malwarebytes v1.19 - differences in exe file size and md5 hash

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by quadrophonic, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

I just downloaded Malwarebytes v 1.19 from Majorgeeks.com, and just to compare I also downloaded it from the other links provided on the Malwarebytes.org website (see below). The Majorgeeks file is 1,665k while the others are 1,666k. The md5 hash is also different in the Majorgeeks file.

http://www.brothersoft.com/download-malwarebytes.-anti-malware-71406.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/mbam.jsp

http://www.malwaresupport.com/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe

Two other questions. Why does the Malwarebytes use Brothersoft as its default download site when the Siteadvisor reviews are so questionable?

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/brothersoft.com/msgpage?page=1#reviews

Is Brothersoft as problematic with pop-ups as one reviewer states? I didn't seee any but then again Firefox is blocking pop-ups as is Adblock Plus and my firewall.

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

3. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Thanks but that doesn't answer why Malwarebytes.org would use Brothersoft.com for their default download option! Considering its past history, a respected anti-malware program would want to point to other download sites.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can,t do it. Developer,s site is the one who redirects to brothersoft.

5. LoneWolf

if that was not possiable Majorgeeks would be my second choice.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The original Q remain there, unanswered.

7. LoneWolf

Yes it does.
    Perhaps nosirrah or RubbbeR Ducky will show up and answer this.
    One can always ask here also.......Malwarebytes Anti-Malware forum

8. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Let me clear up a few of these questions.

1. The reason MD5 and filesize is different is because affiliate codes are built into the program. If you download from MajorGeeks and purchase the product, MajorGeeks will get commission.

2. Why Brothersoft? Because they offered to host our file for free. I followed through the exact steps to download and no malicious content is offered to users. They can download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware unharmed. MajorGeeks and even a direct download are available if you do not wish to proceed through Brothersoft.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks to clear it up.

10. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

I'm sorry, but that's not an acceptable reason. Brothersoft is an absolute scam, hosting tons of virii and malware. Check SiteAdvisor and the user comments there or check WOT Security Scorecard. :mad: :ouch: o_O

Pointing a primary download to this site means I've totally lost trust in your product! :mad:

11. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

12. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

I've examined the URL I point my users to myself and found nothing wrong with the page. I am pointing users to a page that simply shows a download link to our product.

I have been in close contact with an editor from BrotherSoft and have asked them to delist one or two rogue products already. Do you have any others you want gone, because I can make sure that happens.

13. doktornotor

I beg your pardon - you don't see anything wrong with pointing potential users of an antimalware product to a site that itself hosts/offers hundreds of products that are virus-infected or bundled with malware?! I guess you don't care too much about trust in your product in that case - helping rogue sites' reputation is that last thing any honest antimalware vendor should thing about! :blink: o_O :thumbd:

14. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

I am not pointing users toward a site that distributes malware, I am pointing them to a page that has a link to our download and a few Google ads, that is it. I see those on many sites.

If you have any concerns about any products on their website, that is your choice to visit their site and you should notify them about those products.

I have a contact at Brothersoft that I can forward all of your concerns too. Give me an exact list of URL's you want removed.

15. doktornotor

You - on your own website - are promoting their scam via pointing your primary download link to their horrible web. You still don't see anything wrong with that?! o_O :blink:

Yeah, you can start w/ about first 500 items of virus-plagued junk listed here. Now seriously - stop distributing serious antimalware products via such ridiculous scam sites! :thumbd:

16. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Personally, I have no respect for SiteAdvisor. I bet that list of downloads hasn't been updated in a few months.

I will look for an alternative mirror and see if anybody is willing.

17. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

OK, I have made alterations to the mirror list :).

18. doktornotor

Much appreciated! :thumb: If I come across a trustworthy site willing to mirror your products, I'll keep you informed. :cool:

19. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Why would remove the Brothersoft mirror from your website when you approve of them hosting your files with affiliate id's?

20. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

a. If my users do not approve of them, I will do everything in my power to make my users happy. Done!
    b. They are not an affiliate.

21. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

First class response. :thumb:

I stand corrected. :)

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,
    We as MBAM users are happy to hear this, but..

if you are going to make any adjustments due to any feed backs
    from users, you will make your own head spinning most of the time.; you must set your own visions higher and further than all these feed backs. :)

23. doktornotor

User feedback is important, I really appreciate the issue has been solved quickly. Vendors do benefit from listening to their customers' reasonable concerns and feedback, unfortunately such attitude seems rare among the big players - e.g. Symantec is wiping posts from their frustrated, annoyed customers and even banning them regularly from their forums (and note I'm talking about products that cost $$$$ yet they never worked properly).

So, :thumb: to MBAM from me. :cool:

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Malwarebytes has updated to v1.20. FYI:D

25. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I think you mean 1.2.1?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.