Malwarebytes uninstall problem

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Firebytes, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I know most of you probably don't uninstall Malwarebytes since it is a very good antimalware but I did temporarily on one of my systems and had a problem with it. After I uninstalled it and rebooted I was presented with a pop-up from Windows that said something like "Windows could not find C:\Program" or something pretty close to that. I reinstalled Malwarebytes and rebooted again and the problem was gone.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this or if it is a glitch specific to my system. What could have caused it? What could I do to fix it in the future should I ever decide to uninstall MBAM permanently (doubtful).

Thanks

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I've had that same notification.

It appears if you remove MBAM right after installation/upgrade, w/o rebooting before. It adds some key to RunOnce which is still present. And Windows faithfully tries to run that key :)

3. Firebytes

Ahhh, thank you so much for that info...I had indeed just updated the program before the uninstall without a reboot in between. Thanks again.

4. Firebytes

Couldn't they have the uninstall routine remove the RunOnce entry, just in case someone does uninstall after an upgrade?

5. lordpake

6. Firebytes

Thanks again lordpake. I really appreciate the help. It's nice to see that MBAM developers were so open to the suggestion too. MBAM is back on both my systems again but I am sure having the uninstall routine remove the RunOnce key will keep a few others from worrying in the future.

7. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Why update then remove the program?

8. lordpake

If you don't need it anymore? I do know people, myself included, who in general don't necessarily keep programs installed just for the sake of it :)

Besides, I can easily see someone using MBAM just to quickly check a system and then removing it ASAP.

9. Firebytes

I received a pop up, just after the program had reported it updated successfully, stating that the update did not complete successfully so I was going to uninstall/reinstall just in case the bungled update could cause a problem. Later I figured out it wasn't even the program update that had failed. It was just the signature update that failed when MBAM started up again. It defaults to securitywonks website for updates and they were having problems with tat site I guess. I usually always use malwarebytes site for updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.