MalWareBytes Real Time Test :)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

normally it is! but some do really stupid* and that needed to stop somehow.
    (*they cant do better cause they dont know or they wont do better)
    but MBAM (and other) is from my point of view always the second solution.
    LUA is the first switch to turn of - whether they like it or not.

2. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

I did home user/small office IT for 7 years before this and I can say with absolute certainty that users want to turn on their PC and use it . As soon as you start bringing up anything like HIPS and LUA the vast majority fall into 1 of 3 categories :

beyond their understanding
    no desire to learn something new
    go back to what they were doing before 5 seconds after you walk out the door

Just because HIPS and LUA are far more bullet proof than any definition based software does not mean that people want them . If it does not involve just using it to do anything they want whenever they want they will reject it in most cases .

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Nothing you stated here can, imo, be proven wrong. It especially boils down to your statement:

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And in all honesty, it SHOULD be that way. God knows the vast majority of us don't spend hundreds of dollars on a computer and then a monthly ISP payment to screw around with security software. Most people don't mind and, indeed, WANT to secure their systems. But, as long as that involves cryptic pop-ups demanding a reply, FPs that cause havoc on legitimate files and "behavior analysis" that cries foul every time a program tries to access anything but the My Documents folder, you're not going to sell the average user on security software beyond the faithful old AV and maybe stand alone, simple anti-spyware app.

The more complicated security programs become and the more they "do it all", the less secure users are going to end up being, imho.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

One of the best post I have ever seen on this subject. :thumb: :thumb:

I don't think that many here, because of their knowledge and interest, can relate to the average user. It certainly reflect my own attitudes, and that I why I don't even consider sandboxes, cloud stuff (whatever that is) and am not excited by HIPS, although I think Kaspersky uses it.

A computer is just a tool, and not an instrument of pleasure for most of us.

Thanks for articulating the thinking of most of us average users.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.