Malwarebytes Free vs. Premium

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Uitlander, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

I have had the free version for about a year now, but with the recent upgrade to version 3.5.1.2522, I been thinking of going with the paid (Premium) version. I'd like to hear any opinions on whether or not the paid version is worth the $40 yearly price, or should I just stay with the free one?

2. guest

guest Guest

I would put my 40$ elsewhere personally, MBAM is not what it was.
    I have a premium lifetime license and I don't use it since ages because I have way better solutions.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  3. Bill K

Bill K Registered Member

Similarly I have a lifetime premium license to MB and haven't used it in quite some time, finding it too buggy and inconsistent in performance. It's a good second opinion scanner which is in the free version, but the real time protection of the premium version seems to have continual problems which are well documented on their own user forum.

4. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

It was buggy when version 3 first came out, but has been performing very well on my rig for months now, seems like they've gotten rid of most of the bugs.

He is right, there are better options out there but if you just want a reliable second layer of protection with minimal pop ups and runs well in the default settings then it serves that purpose.

Latest version is 3.6.1.2711

5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Same thing, for me, too.

6. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Has anyone tested old builds (v1 or v2) on W10?

7. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

Why would you use those?

8. atomomega

Because those were the ones that made Malwarebytes so famous and gave it it's reputation

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Going back in time to use older builds doesn't make sense. Having said that I'd opt for the free version.

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Version 2 still has its signatures updated. Upon launch it offers the option to update, but it can be skipped, so free version can be used just fine for scanning.

Attached Files:

11. atomomega

How so? It's just a second-opinion scanner in the end

12. The Hammer

It's just a second opinion scanner that will do an inferior job to the present build in the end. Security products such as this are not static. They are ever evolving things, they have to be in order to keep pace with ever changing evolving malware.

13. Floyd 57

Idk about malwarebytes cuz I don't use it, but isn't the newest version with the same sigs

14. The Hammer

I'm sure there are other aspects to improved security other than signatures. I'm talking in general terms here.

15. kenw

kenw Registered Member

I use Zemana on two machines (Malwarebytes Paid Lifetime ) on two. Just renewed and got a VERY nice price. Searched for 'Zemana Coupons' and got some good hits.

16. Floyd 57

You'd be surprised

I'm not saying there are or aren't new features, just that I wouldn't blindly trust a company to have new features just cuz it's a new version

17. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Newer release do provide better malware detection. I just had a very quick look at the changelogs for v3 releases of Malwarebytes at Softpedia. The following are some of the improvements implemented in v3 releases.
    So it would be better to use version 3, rather than v2. Based on my personal experience using v3 of Malwarebytes solely as on on-demand scanner, I see no reason to use an older version. Early releases of v3 did have some serious bugs, but in time Malwarebytes fixed them and I no longer have any issues.

18. Floyd 57

Idk, for second-opinion scanning specifically, I think the only way to be 100% sure is to make custom tests. Get latest version 2 and 3, get at least a few thousand samples with varying freshness, at least some near-zero days, and varying types of malware, maybe version 3 is only better vs some malware than version 2, who knows, and only then when we do tests we can be 100% certain that version 3 is indeed necessarily better as 2nd opinion scanner. Cuz any1 can type any bullshit into the logs "we improved X and Y", but whether it's true and whether scanning has better heurestics or w/e they use for scanning is to be tested, and we also know sigs are the same

19. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Floyd 57 I don't believe that Malwarebytes would lie. I would actually expect major new releases of security software to increase detection rates. In any case, I don't see any reason to use v2, as v3 is stable and works well.

20. Willpower

Willpower Registered Member

Yeh I've used Mbam for probably 10-12+ years on all my Machines.
    Have 2 Lifetime licenses and keep Mbam Premium installed but disabled from starting on system startup. If I'm negotiating somewhere on the dangerous side I'll enable and run it for extra layer until I quit. Always installed, not running real time until needed.
    I also will use for On deman scans.
    Got no problem using.

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Didn't also release a version of v3 to fix a known vulnerability? That vulnerability would most likely remain in v2 and v1, or maybe not. Maybe it was only found in v3.

22. fossewayfella

fossewayfella Registered Member

You have to realise the the free version is not live. You use it to check if there are any PUPs, etc, in your system whereas, the paid version is live and ticks along in the background like an AV (but is not to be used alone, without an AV), detecting and blocking "nasties" coming down the line into the computer.

So it is a case of if you have the "free" version and you regular checks using MWB, when you detect something you need to remove it, whereas the paid for version will have or should have already eliminated it.
    It's a matter of personal choice on what sort of protection you want, and you will get so many replies all in variance on this MWB question, that you will be more confused than when you first asked the question.
    Use the free first, and then pay if you feel you would be safer to have the paid for version.Peace of mind is sometimes worth a little cost.
    Hope this helps you.

fosseway

23. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hi, I am using the latest version of MBAM Premium for the last few months without any issues whatsoever. I started using it after a gap of few years, so I hope I fortunately missed the bitter experiences of early v3 bugs.

24. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I'm running Malwarebytes Premium on both Win 7 computers and also on the Mac. Also on the Mac I have Malwarebytes browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome. Running good, no problems.

25. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Aren't you bothered by the fact that Malwarebytes often comes in last with AV tests? I haven't got anything against them, and I'm sure the anti-exploit and anti-ransomware components are pretty good, but they are just bad in blocking malware on execute.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.