Malwarebytes Copyright Policy

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mirimir, Mar 9, 2017.

1. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Krusty, I know this. lol! And what else? I'm gonna ask them, OK? At least it'll be a refreshing change from all the stuff they hear about the latest version woes. Besides, it's turning out to be an intriguing topic after all and I'm tired of software companies saying something and there's more they're not saying. It doesn't hurt to ask.

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

3. guest

guest Guest

Exactly:

4. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Yes, mood. But that's not the issue. The issue is what Malwarebytes is doing, if anything, with user information under the guise of its copyright policy. It's an avenue to explore, maybe because I have nothing better to do right now. Privacy leaks are rampant--remember WebOfTrust? I personally don't care because I don't use MB. It's more the principle of the thing.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Right, and they encrypt stuff. Which is a good thing, but makes it hard to know what's happening.

6. mirimir

Right. And in https://www.malwarebytes.com/privacy/ there is the language: "We may disclose PII to government agencies, law enforcement officials, and private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary ... to prevent or stop activity we consider to be illegal or unethical." That goes a lot farther than refusing to provide help on the forum.

7. guest

guest Guest

Indeed, that goes a lot farther.
    Btw. about the issue in the MB-forum: "Your topic has been referred to Malwarebytes' upper management."

8. mirimir

Malwarebytes isn't alone with the "software police patrol" attitude:
    https://www.eset.com/us/privacy/

9. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

OK, so the idea is whether security software and more forensic software like Farbar can be used as instruments of telemetry without the user's knowledge, and for what purposes. You wonder about the less publicly appealing ideas, like getting a bounty for every disclosure, in addition to the more publicly appealing morality and uploading the laws. The mind-numbing legalese and vague terminology in the wall-o'-texts, aka Terms of Service/various policies, are the perfect screens.

10. mirimir

11. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

It leaves me wondering just how intrusive their detecting activities are and what information they are collating.

12. clubhouse1

13. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Here you go - https://forums.malwarebytes.com/top...ut-copyrights/?do=findComment&comment=1108095

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Their answers make sense. I was already 99% sure they wouldn't be scanning systems for pirated software, and then taking further action. Not that I use pirated software myself or condone piracy, but the idea seemed a bit ridiculous.

15. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Have to admit, a very readable and understandable response. My curiosity is satisfied, hopefully others' also.

Edit: Just a little too much PR at the end. :cautious:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2017
  16. mirimir

@plat1098 -- Congratulations on getting a substantive response :thumb:

It's reassuring to see this: "It really all comes down to integrity. We believe that our users'/customers' privacy is a sacred thing to be guarded ferociously against anyone who might attempt to exploit, harass or otherwise abuse any of our users/customers and their private information."

But https://www.malwarebytes.com/privacy/ still includes this: "We may disclose PII to government agencies, law enforcement officials, and private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary: (1) to satisfy or comply with any applicable law, regulation or legal process; (2) to respond to lawful requests, including subpoenas, warrants or court orders; (3) to protect our property, rights and safety and the rights, property and safety of third parties or the public in general; and (4) to prevent or stop activity we consider to be illegal or unethical."

So it's arguable that exile360's responses gloss over some exceptions to "privacy is a sacred thing to be guarded ferociously". Some firms say explicitly in their policies that they'll never share PII with third parties. But maybe they're also glossing over exceptions. It's the same issue that we deal with about Microsoft, Google, VPN providers, etc. Knowing who to trust, and how far, is entirely nontrivial.

17. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Actually, I stopped at the first sentence: "I'll answer the questions I can to the best of my ability based on what I know." Yes, there was gloss and a whopper of public relations. But the answer was very good and had the strong ring of sincerity, because exile360 believes in these principles, not me or anyone else.

Clearly I didn't pursue the matter thoroughly because I'm a novice and there's an intuition that there are barriers to these matters, particularly when it concerns the ear of the government. Is Malwarebytes gonna spill it on a public forum? :ninja: Therefore, if anyone is seriously and strongly inclined to pursue the matter, please add to that thread. But I'm good.

18. mirimir

Right. Who is exile360, anyway? Employee or volunteer? And anyway, I'd say that the privacy policy trumps forum comments.

19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

20. clubhouse1

Ironic that a software that is supposed to protect you from spyware appears to be spyware itself...Given the V3 fiasco I think I'll use ZAM.

21. mirimir

That is a strange meander between "us (Malwarebytes)" and uncertainty about stuff.

22. entropism

entropism Registered Member

I moved to ZAM (well, ZAL) months ago when the MBAM services didn't start with Windows. No idea if this is still a thing or not, because I've been more than happy with Zemana. Considering I have a free lifetime license, and a paid lifetime to MBAM, maybe I'll revisit when they get their crap together.

23. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

Not new, they have been at this for a while, Windows 10 is joining in too, I love it,
    I think software theft stunts the growth of a very important sector.
    More power to em'

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.