Malwarebytes Copyright Policy

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mirimir, Mar 9, 2017.

1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

https://www.malwarebytes.com/copyright/

Could someone please ELI5?

What would trigger this? It can't be stuff detected by Malwarebytes, because how could rights holders know about that to report it. So is this about https://forums.malwarebytes.com/ o_O

2. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

If this popped up via your installed MB software, was it supposed to do this or is it a glitch? I recall MB had serious issues involving iObit, right? I'd maybe ask on MB forum because speculation, though potentially fun, might lead to more questions rather than explanations (like you're 5 :)). It's definitely intriguing.

3. mirimir

No, it didn't pop up. I just found that link somewhere.

4. itman

itman Registered Member

This would be the posting of any copyrighted material on their forum. I believe Wilders has a similar policy.

Also MBAM has always scanned for bootlegged software on a user's PC. Thought everyone knew that.

5. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Oh, OK. I didn't know any of this. Why would MB provide a separate link instead of making it prominent on its forum? Just wondering. Anyway, thanks for the information.

6. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

yeah Malwarebytes is the new software police patrol

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Correct. Re: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/help/terms

8. mirimir

Yes, of course. Makes total sense, and required by law.
    OK, so this is what I was wondering about. If anyone has URLs for that assertion, please post, or PM or email me. I'm also interested in such URLs about other AV apps.

More generally, I'm wondering whether AV makers report detections of interesting stuff to organizations that are interested in that stuff. I'm thinking of Geek Squad, here. I mean, major AV makers have intimate access to far more machines than Geek Squad does. The fact that I find nothing online about it suggests that it's not prevalent. But, on the other hand, there are only about three well-known examples of VPN providers outing their users. So maybe this evidence gets buried by parallel construction, to protect reputations of AV makers.

Edit: It also strikes me that AVs may pwn Tor browser in Windows. The AV is presumably looking at disk I/O, so anything that Tor browser downloads could get reported or uploaded. I see nothing definitive on Tor.SE [0,1] but the answer re Malwarebytes is chilling.[2]

0) https://tor.stackexchange.com/quest...tible-antivirus-software-and-or-tool-availabl
    1) https://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/7592/is-it-safe-to-run-avast-with-tor
    2) https://tor.stackexchange.com/quest...o-use-tor-with-malwarebytes-anti-exploit?rq=1

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  9. itman

itman Registered Member

I haven't used MBAM in a while although I have multiple Pro ver. licenses for it. When I did have it installed, it would perform a full hidden HDD scan at boot time. Didn't matter if free or paid ver. was used or realtime scanning was disabled. It still scanned the entire drive. It wasn't looking for "URLs" per se, it was looking for pirated/cracked software and God knows what else.

10. mirimir

@itman -- OK, but scanning stuff is what AV do. The question is how much they respect users' privacy.

This doesn't sound good:
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/privacy/

But is Malwarebytes just more rabid than most?

11. itman

itman Registered Member

It wasn't doing an "AV scan." Like I stated previously, the same activity would occur on the free ver. which is an on-demand scanner only.

12. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Avast seem to upload other software files too,

This from me in the avast! thread...

13. boredog

boredog Registered Member

If your AV is not using the cloud, couldn't you just block it from dialing out with a firewall?

14. itman

itman Registered Member

Yes. But you have to be able to differentiate legit update activity from nefarious activity. Many vendors use the same servers i.e. IP addresses for both.

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Looks like my 2 lifetime licenses for this will sit and collect dust. If I want spyware on my machine I can get it for free.

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This is the fisrt I've heard of this. I'be been using MBAM both as a free and pro user ever since the original beta version was released over 9 years ago. I always have realtime scanning disabled, and it has never done a startup scan. Also, I'm not aware of it scanning for pirated software. In fact I'm sure it doesn't scan for pirated software. Have you got any links to back up your claims, or is it speculation on your part?

17. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Hmm, I think the Farbar scan tool used in malware analysis can pick up pirated software. But, I didn't know MB did this also.

18. itman

itman Registered Member

Like I said, it was accessing my HDD for extended periods of time after every boot and it did not matter if it was the free or pro version.

19. roger_m

How do you know it was doing a full scan of your hard drive, or that it was checking for pirated software?

20. itman

itman Registered Member

I watched it doing so in Process Explorer.

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I've never had MBAM / MB do a boot time scan on my machines. I have read on their forums that if you are looking for help and submit logs from for example FRST and it shows pirated or otherwise illegal software they will tell you to remove it or they will not provide any help.

22. roger_m

Okay. As a far as I'm aware nothing like that has happened on any of my computers. I've never actually checked with Process Explorer, but I've never seen significant disk usage at startup from Malwarebytes.

23. itman

itman Registered Member

Again I haven't used MBAM in at least a year nor have I used it on Win 10. The behavior I described occurred on Win 7. I do know the last time I downloaded MBAM for a quick malware scan around a year ago, the same extended scanning behavior was still present upon subsequent re-boots and persisted until I removed all traces of MBAM using both Revo Uninstaller Pro and manually cleaning the disk and registry.

BTW - Win 10 scans for pirated software: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-windows-10-scans-for-pirated-games-2015-8

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  24. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

So, let's say a Malwarebytes helper discovers an infected user has illegal software like cracked Adobe, and discovers this via a Farbar scan, NOT an MB one. With this "copyright" thing, what is Malwarebytes legally entitled to do with this information? Farbar records information about the user's computer. Maybe that was the original concern--what rights does Malwarebytes have and does it tattle on users when it's discovered they have software that breaks the copyright laws? Or, it's back to square one--meaning no one posting on the forums is allowed to use copyrighted material without permission and that's it. If that's the case, again, why not just sticky it on its own forum?

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

As I said above, if illegal software is detected they will tell you to remove it if you want their help. This isn't uncommon for malware removal forums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.