Malwarebytes claim: IObit is stealing signature databases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by webster, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malkiller

Malkiller Registered Member

2. ePost

ePost Registered Member

All this commotion gave MBAM forums a new user record. :D From the MBAM forum's main page:

Most users ever online was 876 on Today, 12:21 AM

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

good :thumb:

4. Malkiller

Malkiller Registered Member

I am giving serious consideration to buying MBAM now cos i need a good anti malware program ////////...

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

i bought one about a month ago. They have a lifetime license, and it is cheap.

6. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

are there malware which are caught by MBAM and not by iobit360 sigs?
    yes, two weeks ago, watch here - http://www.youtube.com/user/languy99#p/u/18/3ZDOiOftwgs
    one more thing, is it even possible to steal sigs, aren't they protected somehow by MBAM crew, if not you should ask yourself how they protecting their intellectual properties...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well,

IOBit 360 positioned themselves as an ultra light HIPS and small blacklist data base like MBAM.

Many users may have thought, nice but "like" is not the "same as". The claim of MBAM surely beats that assumption. IObit is now 10th most popular downloaded application om CNET.

So send those email when you really want to help MBAM, otherwsie this claim might be a trivial unintended endorsement for IObit, becasue lots of PC users are looking for bargains.

8. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

The evidence that the Malwarebytes people have is concrete to my mind. Any 'explanation' that Iobits may come up with will be horse crap at this point. Wouldn't be the first time something like this has gone down with competing authors of security software, nor will it be the last.

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

From the iobit forum- "Our database is from the online submission form: http://db.iobit.com/deal/sdsubmit/index.php"

The iobit database is mainly derived from an online submission form?

10. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

@ 333halfevil

In July I tested IObit and expressed my opinion about the program. Among other things, you were told me that for two months IObit will significantly improve detection, and that something big is planned. Would you be so kind to explain what you mean? I do not want to imply that you have any connection with those for which the IObit is accused, just think it would be good to clarify this statement.

the source

11. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

That explanation doesn't makes sense to me since how could a user scan the file when the file didn't even exist in the public domain? It was a dummy detection created as a trap.:rolleyes:

12. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

IOBit's explanation is very thin to say the least. Surely they'd have a solid explanation to send to users the second the issue was raised.

13. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

They'd have been better saying nothing rather than insulting everyone's intelligence with that response.

In effect what they're saying is that some user performed a scan with MBAM and detected this file (even though it didn't actually exist).Then they scanned with 360 and got no detection and so they submitted this imaginary file to IOBit using the same malware name given to it by MBAM...yeah that clears it all up for me now,storm in a teacup.:rolleyes:

14. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Well, moral of the story, slow and steady (building up satisfied customers) wins the race (solid reputation and sales).

If the allegations are true, I feel sorry for those that worked with/on the program and weren't aware of the 'borrowing' going on. These people being the loyal users, the moderators, support staff, all who wouldn't feel too good right now.

And Malwarebytes, I don't think I can understand how upset they must be, spending night after night working hard improving their program, and the thought of others benefiting from their hard work.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is cheap and do the job very well:thumb:

16. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

ROFL! That's a good one! :D

IMHO this is as close as one can get into verifying a conspiracy theory in the internet.

Even if the IoBit's -improbable- explanation is true and some dumb employee simply added the fake sample to their database not bothering to verify if it's real malware or to change the name, this is shooting yourself on the foot as far as reputation of the company goes. Basically they add anything you upload to them without testing to see if it's actual malware? :eek: :D

Anyway, probably the luck of IoBit, is that they are in China and opening a legal battle for MBAM will probably be a very costly business , which in a time of global crisis i don't know how realistic is.

But, what we can all do about this, is spread the word.

17. ePost

ePost Registered Member

SiteAdvisor, WOT and the likes are suddenly funny tools now. It's a bit like the paper/pencil game "sinking battleships". Only we know who wins. :D

Remember to clik IObit red and MBAM green, folks. :thumb:

18. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

The main reason that I never recommend WOT, etc.
    What exactly has to do the MB database theft with blacklisting a website as potential malicious,etc.? :rolleyes: :cautious: :gack: :thumbd:

Panagiotis.

19. ePost

ePost Registered Member

Your sense of fairness and the law leaves much to be desired. It is illegal to use stolen goods even if you did not steal them yourself. It's called fencing. Using WOT to warn people is exactly what should be done.

20. pandlouk

I thank god that it is. I not condemn anyone just on accusation and before he has a chance to respond to those accusations.

Law and fairness? Don't make me laugh. What is this, a new internet medieval attitude? :blink: :gack:

Panagiotis

21. ePost

ePost Registered Member

No. It's normal behavior. IObit cracked MBAM's database. Sold thousands of copies of the stolen goods. And gave even more away.

The wast majority of users do not want cracked or stolen software on their computers.

22. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I have 2 free keys for IOBit, and have it installed on both of my win 7 laptops. Apparently its time to uninstall and never return.

23. pandlouk

I guess people really like being judge, jury and executioner.
    WOT stands for "Web of Trust".
    WOT does not stand for "Web of Trial".

Panagiotis

24. ePost

ePost Registered Member

But WOT is the sum of the users judgement. Always was. Thanks heaven for that. Wouldn't like to rely on "experts" such as yourself...

25. pandlouk

The reason that I never reccommend it.
    Some of its users are "experts" like yourself. ;)
    Pretty funny that www.iobit.com was green until yesterday. :D :D :D

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.