Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ZeroVulnLabs, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have been using MBARW for 2 days now, and I have not experienced any problems. I'm using Windows 7X64 Ultimate. One thing I have noticed though is MBARW is already opened, and minimized to the taskbar at system start. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

2. atunis5804

atunis5804 Registered Member

I began using MBARWalmost the day it came out. It seems well polished for beta software. My only concern is that it uses 125MB when running, although I did read a bug was fixed to reduce the use of resources while running - I see no evidence of that at this point.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

It's not using that much memory on my Windows 7X64 Ultimate. It's only using 19,584 k for mbarw.exe. I don't see any other processes belonging to MBARW. Maybe you have a memory leak.

Attached Files:

4. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Temporarily this is normal behavior even with beta5 and will not be present when MBARW is rolled into MBAM.

At the completion of a system start, you may open the MBARW GUI, from the taskbar icon, to insure that MBARW's protection is active. Then the GUI may be dismissed.

5. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Mine acts the same way and I dismiss it, runs great so far . Also check out this new youtube video on this product www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR4YTsHnCZc

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
  6. haakon

haakon Guest

mbarw.exe launches via a Shortcut in the Startup folder and is subject to the Run Minimized setting under the Shortcut tab in Properties. You might prefer to change Minimized to Normal.

Removal of the Shortcut will end any "this behavior" but the total consequence of doing so and then starting mbarw.exe manually upon the completion of a system start has, to my knowledge, not yet been discussed.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, thank you for the info!

8. Cutting_Edgetech

If I disable MBARW protection by right clicking on the tray icon the tray icon does not change. It's stays the same color. Is this expected behavior?

9. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello Cutting_Edgetech:

Yes - that is current expected behavior.

Unlike other Malwarebytes' products, no obvious warnings/changes occur to MBARW's system tray icon when its protection is disabled.

HTH

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, thank you! I hope they changed this behavior soon. It's definitely not ideal.

11. Cutting_Edgetech

I have noticed that since installing MBARW it takes my machine nearly a minute to shut down. I'm using Windows 7X64 Ultimate.

12. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

I think that seeing it will be incorporated into MBAM eventually, that fixing the icon to blink now is not at the top of their "to do" list.

13. Cutting_Edgetech

True, I guess it want matter soon.

14. PeZzy

PeZzy Registered Member

Look for "MBAM Service" or "MB3Service". It's running from the MBARW folder and takes up about 72MB on my Win10Pro computer. If you have MBAM, there will be another separate service called "MBAMService". I assume these services will be combined when MBARW is included in MBAM.

15. PeZzy

PeZzy Registered Member

Add file exclusions to MBARW for your antivirus/security software. If that doesn't work, uninstall, reboot, and then reinstall.

16. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

It's already reported at MBAM, I posted about the problem I had a wile back there working on it I guess, there's another thread about it too.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/177943-long-shut-down-times/

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/178868-long-startupshutdown-times-even-under-beta5/

To combat this issue until fixed before you shut down your PC turn off protection PC will shut down normally then.

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, thank you for letting me know!

18. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

19. ZeroVulnLabs

ZeroVulnLabs Developer (aka "pbust")

20. Rasheed187

Can you give some more info? Will it block MS Word from performing the encryption?

21. ZeroVulnLabs

ZeroVulnLabs Developer (aka "pbust")

The article is wrong when it states MBARW didn't detect and block. We stop Locky and have tested numerous variants.

From https://forums.malwarebytes.org/ind...somware-locky-blocked/?p=1020234#entry1020234

22. Rasheed187

23. SIR****TMG

Is 9.14.361 the new beta? Thats what I'm running, if not were can I get the newest download?

24. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

yes .361 is current.

25. SIR****TMG

THANK YOU

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.