Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by puff-m-d, Nov 14, 2016.

1. ZeroVulnLabs

ZeroVulnLabs Developer (aka "pbust")

We did some improvements in application load time but we're still working on that front. Expect improvements soon on this front.

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

The other annoyance is it appears near impossible to uninstall completely. I even used another programs tool to try to delete the remnants, but no luck. How do I get rid of mbae64.dll and it's folders?

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

It still took 3 goes before the program would go past the UAC prompt. Eventually installed and Restarted.

The Protection shows Ransomware Protection is Off and I've tried enabling it but it says "Starting..." and nothing is happening. I'll try another Restart.

The scan schedule is still in US format.

Thanks.

Oh, still seeing a warning that Exploit Protection is disabled.

4. ZeroVulnLabs

That's a known issue from the DLL injection part of the anti-exploit technology. Reboot and you should be able to remove it.

5. ZeroVulnLabs

You got 3 UAC prompts to launch the installer??

Did you disable it beforehand?

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I right-clicked the installer, got a prompt, then nothing. (Voodooshield had been Exited) I had to Restart Windows Explorer. Tried again, got a prompt, then Norton prompted, then nothing. The third go was finally successful.

Huh? How do I disable it before installing? I did disable {Exploit Protection, not Ransomware Protection) as soon as I installed beta 2, then Restarted.

After another Restart I could enable Ransomware Protection.

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

There's no setting for it (that I can find) so does that mean the update notifications are no longer included with MBAM 3?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I tried @Peter2150 's work-around of enabling Exploit Protection but disabling all applications, which seems to work. Interestingly I can only disable protection from half the programs, which I guess is the x64 versions (the machine is x64), but I can't tell for sure. In any case, MBAM is happy and not prompting now and the machine has settled down quite nicely.

I'll stick to MBAM 3.x Beta 2 on this machine for the time being. :)

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I installed the new beta as an upgrade to v2, as I had to restore my system from an image since installing the first beta. After the install finished, the installer window reamained open, and the CPU use from MBAMService stayed at 25%. I disabled all protection, as I don't won't to use it anyway, but the CPU use reamained, but was fixed by rebooting.

The slow scan times issues has been fixed in this update. A Threat scan took just over 30 minutes, which is twice as fast as the last beta. I am using a faster computer this time, but I am using the same install of Windows as last time. A Hyper Scan took just 35 seconds, which is impressive consdering how many programs I've got installed.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Another Restart another warning that not all protection was enabled... except it is, as was shown on the GUI when I opened it. o_O

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I ran a second Theat Scan, which hung before finishing. Also, no log file was saved.

When runninng a scan, CPU use was very high, reaching 90% at times. Once a scan completes (it did complete the first time I ran a scan), there is a big problem in my opinion with the UI design when it comes to selecting what you want to remove and keep (just like in 2.x releases). MBAM detects lots of files and registry keys that I actually want to keep, and also a lot I want to remove. The problem is that there is no way to select a particular threat or PUP detected as a whole, which means that if there are things you want to keep, you need to uncheck every single file and registry key. This is certainly no an issue if it's just a few items. But, when there are hundreds of items, this is simply not practical. As a result, I just clicked on cancel, as I did not want to spend the time to uncheck hundreds of items. It would make things much easier if you could check or uncheck every single file and registry key belonging to one threat with just one click.

12. NiteRanger

NiteRanger Registered Member

With this new beta is there still a clash between HMPA's exploit feature or do I still need to turn one (Malwarebytes or HMPA) off?

Thanks

13. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I don't know if anyone has done any thorough testing yet but the potential for conflict is there. I've enabled the Exploit Protection in MBAM 3 to stop the warning that you're not protected by MBAM, but have disabled anti-exploit protection for all programs in the settings. So far my machine is running OK.

14. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

IIRC, according to the devs these two will conflict. Sounds like the solution above is OK if running HMPA.

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Should MBAM register in "Windows Action Center" with Norton installed?

Installed virus protection.PNG

Windows Action Center.PNG

Thanks.

16. Marcelo

Marcelo Registered Member

Just installed the update. On the first reboot my computer completely froze. Boot completed on second attempt. My system feels a little faster than with previous version when all protection is on but the slowdown is still noticeable. I'll just turn off the real-time protection and wait for the next version.

17. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Installed alongside EIS . Still lag while opening things . Also like the first beta , even the 2nd one uses 90% of my cpu while doing a scan and slows down the system during that time . Other than that haven't noticed any problems

18. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

MB3 3.0.3.1245 CPU / RAM usage:

IDLE
    Malwarebytes Service cpu 1.4% ram 199.0 MB
    Malwarebytes Tray App (32-bit) cpu 0% ram 7.2 MB
    Malwarebytes (32-bit) cpu 0% ram 38.2 MB

SCAN
    Malwarebytes Service cpu 90.7% ram 302.5 MB
    Malwarebytes Tray App (32-bit) cpu 0% ram 7.2 MB
    Malwarebytes (32-bit) cpu 8% ram 39.4 MB

This time is a bit less but it is high still.

19. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

CPU usage during a scan is not a priority for us before the release, but is something we'll look at after. Most users run this at night or while they're infected.

What is a priority for us is any sluggishness, slowness, etc. while booting the machine or while it runs in realtime protection mode. If you're having any symptoms like that, could you send me your MBAMService log from the Programdata folder as well as what OS and security software you have.

EDIT: It is important that you cleanly uninstalled beta 1 before installing beta 2 as there were bugs with the uninstaller.

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

2nd beta looks good so far here.

21. Influenza

Influenza Registered Member

Beta 2 installed with Avast Internet Security.
    No issue so far, only a little slowdown on opening programs.

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I've rebooted several times. I'll look for a third party app to unlock/delete it.

23. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

That's the number one thing we're focused on right now. The system impact should be near zero, but it's not.

24. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

You can download Autoruns, run it as admin, and delete any Malwarebytes load points. After reboot then it should be gone. Sorry for the trouble!

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

So far I have the beta on both a desktop, and now my lenovo laptop. The display scaling issue is fixed. Also it is happy with Emsisoft's EIS, Appguard, and HMPA. I have modified the exploit settings to avoid confict and tested with both Softrights and the MBAM test tool and all seems well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.