Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LagerX, Mar 24, 2014.

1. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

One thing I love about Immunet3 is it only takes 3mb of Ram, yet offers unprecedented protection. (SPEROS, ETHOS, TETRA)

I have a lot of ram on my machines, but feel I still want to 'limit' the amount of ram products take otherwise it gets out of control. Given I play some 'extreme' games, that require most system resources... I make an exception for Adguard because it offers so many layers of protection (6 Databases, WOT, etc). But draw the line there really. Adguard folks continue to lower ram use every patch so I am good with it.

With a strong AV Suite, Adguard, MBAM, Appguard all running I lose about 30% of my system ram. Too much IMO. If I drop the AV suite back to IMMUNET3, I am using less than 12% of total system ram. Acceptable. So when you layer, you become a bit more aware of consuming solutions.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes that's right. MBAM is using 130 MB of my RAM. ESET another 80. No noticeable impact on performance. Memory should be used if it can help AV to perform better. Since I don't use other apps with high memory consumption, AVs can use it as they like. I don't mind.

hqsec

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you document this?

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Unless your system does not have enough RAM installed, e.g. less then 4GB, then memory usage does not matter at all.

Which is unfortunate, as memory usage is not an indication of the impact on system performance. If security software causes high CPU or disk use, it will impact system performance, no matter how little RAM it is using. Conversely, if security software uses lots of RAM, but keeps CPU and disk usage low than it will be "light" and not have much system impact.

It really does matter, because as I just said, memory usage does not correlate with system performance at all.

People should stop worrying about memory usage, and only worry if their security setup is slowing down their system.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

I agree with rogers and as long the system is running fast and smooth :):thumb: no problem

6. siketa

siketa Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

7. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Hey guys, just letting you know we're monitoring this thread for concrete bugs. If you have something useful to add to the conversation, please do. We can't really do much with "settings kind of don't work" so please be concrete.

Regarding memory usage, well that's just a deceitful path to go down. We can easily make it use 25 mb by flushing everything to disk. But you will get terrible performance. We are completely transparent about this, our entire 35 mb database is loaded into memory and stays there for optimal performance. If you want lower memory usage, you'll pay for it every time you run an application because we'll need to access disk to read signatures. I'd rather be transparent and fast than fool you into thinking we're using little memory and get you to blame other factors for a slow computer.

8. zach

zach Registered Member

How do I get the icon out of the tray everytime mbam loads up? I am running mbam on demand.

9. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Right click on the tray icon to see if 'Start with Windows' is checked. Uncheck it if it is.

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I have not used the final release, but even with this unchecked, the beta would load up with windows to tell me signatures were out of date. Kind of annoying.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Oh wow Roger spot on :thumb: For once you and I do actually agree about something how wonderful :D

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Very good, keep it as it is :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

13. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Don't waste your breath. There's no way to dissuade those who judge performance and efficiency based exclusively on the metrics presented in Task Manager. It's been part and parcel of the pathetic heavy-light dialogue here over the years. And the inspiration for my signature, "If it's too heavy on your system, your system is too light." More accurately for this thread: If it's too heavy on your brain, your brain is too light. :cool:

Well said.

14. guest

guest Guest

Maybe you can add this in the help file or something, or in the about section

15. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Installed MBAM 2 on top of previous stable build (1.76?). Went fine. Asked me to "fix" the out-of-date definitions, froze and stopped responding, had to restart program after 4 minutes of not responding. Working flawlessly after that. Even exclusion settings were properly applied!

Now, how do I remove all the "bling bling" with advertisement when scanning? I don't want advertisement in my Premium product! Even if it's about Malwarebytes' blog or Business/Enterprise protection.

I love the GUI, but please make the advertisement (or information about other Malwarebytes' products... whatever you call it) optional.

Automatic quarantine was checked upon detection by default. Do we really dare to trust this after the scandal that happened last year?

Checking the box about self-protection makes the GUI freeze for a while. On the other hand, clicking the systray icon instantly starts the GUI which took two seconds in 1.xx.

That's about it so far!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  16. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Runs great here.

Just one GUI related problem so far. While clicking on the General Settings button, I have to click on the bottom one-third of the button to show the general settings.

Mouse is over button with no focus on button. Text is white but should dim when focused.

Attached Files:

17. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Don't like 2 so uninstalled and back to 1.7 to stay.

18. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

We're working on fixing that, thank you!

19. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

I'll submit this as a feature request, the bling bling part :).

20. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

It looks nice, but I think I will wait another month before upgrading. It should be less likely to encounter bugs then.

21. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

One annoying thing since I have been testing, from when it was launched in December, is every time I boot, I get the 'One of your protections is disabled'. I know... I don't need to be reminded every time I boot.

22. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Can you try a clean install? If that doesn't work, can you shoot me a message?

23. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I don't like uninstalling a program unnecessarily.... I followed the directions all the way from when the beta was launched last December. So, I will just live with it...for the moment

24. jiskefet

jiskefet Registered Member

If i enable Malicious Website Protection my browser doesnt load a page anymore :doubt: If i first start the browser (i use Firefox) and start that protection it seems to work but if i close the browser again no site will load o_O

Edit:
    Im using Panda Cloud antivirus free and also installed that url filter from them, uninstalled the url filter, and eureka ! It works :) they dont like each other.

25. zach

zach Registered Member

It's not checked

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.