Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LagerX, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium 2.0 combines the impressive malware cleanup abilities of the free-for-personal-use Malwarebytes utility with lackluster real-time protection and malicious URL blocking.

2. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

Meh... as a second opinion scanner, I'm still a happy camper! :thumb:

3. haakon

haakon Guest

Boom.
    https://press.malwarebytes.org/2015/12/09/malwarebytes-tops-100-million-run-rate/

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

A quick question for those using MBAM Premium:

Have you noticed MBAM scanning twice a day where you only have one scan scheduled? It will complete one scan then start another straight after.

I'm not after support for this, I'm just curious if anyone else has seen it. Actually I do have a brand new Support Case open so I'll see what they say about it.

I've completed a clean re-installation numerous times and that works for a few days then the double scanning starts again. The same with deleting the scheduled scan and recreating a new one. This has happened on both of my Win10 x 64 machines. It appears to mainly happen when the machine is not idle at the time of the schedule.

Thanks.

5. ozbadcat

ozbadcat Registered Member

G'day Krusty - I have noticed this happening on my MBAM at times too. I notice when I initiate a scan LATER than the scheduled time or miss a day on the computer that it reverts to a single scan for a few days, then goes back to double scans .... thought it was just my computer ...

6. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Had been using it for about two years in active mode. Silent, so silent I decided to remove. DID like the Web-site blocking.
    Plus it is not an anti-virus.
    Excuse me for just stepping in with my 2 cents.

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

G'day ozbadcat,

Glad to hear it isn't just my machines.

Oh, welcome to wilders security forums!

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

It seems pretty easy to reproduce this on my machines.
    • Have the Reduce priority of scans to improve multitasking setting enabled.
    • Ensure the machine is not idle when the scheduled scan starts, like have a browser open.
    • A second scan will start just after the first one finishes.
    Possible work-around is to disable the Reduce priority of scans to improve multitasking setting, but I will have to confirm this.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Are you saying that's a good thing or a bad thing?

11. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Confirmed! Disabling the "Reduce priority" setting and MBAM only scans once if I am using my machine at the time the scan is scheduled.

12. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

THX, for Your update.

Anyway, I disabled automatic scanning and starting with windows, because I feel no need for it, although I have three lifetime licences.

MBAM is still a good on demand scanner.

13. simisg

simisg Registered Member

I think these days the only way to need mb is to download torrents ,cracked software or not have a protection like ublock origin in your browser......
    but still very good to clean infected pc.....

14. anon

anon Registered Member

15. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Congrats MBAM :thumb:

16. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

As I have a lifetime license, I see no need *not* to use it alongside a free AV solution like Windows Defender or Avast Free.

17. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Likewise...

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I'm thinking about doing the same.

19. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

MBAM set to start with Windows, real-time Malware Protection and Malicious Website Protection disabled, but scheduled to perform Threat Scan daily.

20. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have MBAM set to not run at startup, and do no scheduled scans. I don't feel any need to use the realtime protection, and prefer to just use it for very occasional on demand scans. I'm happy just to my av as my sole form of protection. Because I only run a scan every now and again, I prefer to run scans manually rather than scheduling them. I don't use the web protection as it may block sites I want to visit. Rather than having to add exclusions for blocked websites, I find it much easier to just have no websites blocked. I don't know how much of an impact on my browsing the web blocking would have as I have never used it. I have never felt I needed any kind of web protection, as I always feel safe on the web no matter where I go.

One good thing about using MBAM this way is that the tray icon and MBAM's service don't get loaded at Windows startup. The MBAM scheduler service is disabled on my computer. I can't remember if I did this myself.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Roger,

Exactly! Unlike some other anti malware programs, MBAM doesn't leave a service running when not started with Windows.

I don't see why MBAM should start with Windows just for a scheduled scan, which I can do without, so I've just disabled MBAM from starting with Windows and from here on in will manually run a scan if and when I feel like it.

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yep! That sounds about right.

23. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I haven't had MBAM start at boot for ages, so much so that I have just been reminded that is there, on my system.

ScreenShot_MBAM_haven't used this in months_01.gif ScreenShot_MBAM_haven't used this in months_02.gif

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Tarnak,

As I mentioned here, mbam has really only been wasting my system resources so far, and I agree I can live without it starting with Windows.

Cheers!

25. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.