Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50 Public Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ViVek, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ram usage is a lot less then some AV products I could name, but wont. And it is alot less then it use to be. For me it has been cut in half.

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Great release, fast with scanning and excellent support as usual listening to feedback. Great work fellas. :)

MBAM + Hitman Pro, great combo. Running it myself.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

trjam - What ram numbers are you seeing? It's 35meg on my machine.

To all - what kind of disk io are you guys seeing?

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

clocks, not at home will post later for Vista and 7, 32 and 64 bit.

But I really like what they have done.:thumb:

5. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

My 1.46 Pro runs with AVG 2011 Free just fine with the usual MBAM items added to the Resident Shield exceptions.

I'm not interested in running the beta but I will be upgrading to 1.50 Pro. Exactly what AVG exceptions are needing to be entered in MBAM's Ignore List?

Thank you.

6. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

By that point it may not be needed as we work with the other companies to get this issues resolved.

When 1.50 is final there will be a dedicated section on our forums to deal with exclusions app by app (both excluding them and for them to exclude us).

7. justenough

justenough Registered Member

An on-demand scan is now at least twice as fast on my multi-core machine. Is there an equal improvement in real-time protection efficiency?

8. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

How could you tell?

9. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Applications that load a lot into memory would feel snappier but as you are implying this is no where the exact science running a scan is.

10. nessy90

nessy90 Registered Member

Well for me when running 1.50 the icon in the the task bar next to the clock is not red and all protection except website is on, and it slows everything down IE takes 4 to 5 secs to load and when it does load my favorites bar and alike then has to load and it slows my surfing down as well.

Im Running

OA Premium

Prevex SOL

Mamutu

Spyware Blaster
    on a Win7 32bit system with UAC turned off

nessy

11. justenough

One way would be how tasks on the computer 'feel' to us. Another way would be testing the actual time those tasks take, such as Raymond has done here:

http://www.raymond.cc/antivirus/

Nosirrah probably knows about their own tests like those, and might give us an idea of the results.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I think read io bytes could use some optimization. It is chewing up billions of read bytes for me, much more than most other anti-malware solutions I have tested.

13. justenough

Wow you are right. Just checked, MBAM is at about 2,500,000,000 I/O read bytes and climbing fast.

14. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

About the same here. All versions are the same. It installs fine, first few minutes of browsing is sluggish and slow. Favorites menu become almost inoperable. Then it kinda planes out for about fifteen minutes. After that, CPU makes system inoperable. It's not anything to do with Mbam processes but it has something to do with the the MS service of Base Filtering Engine. Mbam and DefenseWall both have the same problem on my system and I can't use either. They both do something to or with BFE that causes the system to choke.

15. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Guess I will be the third one to confirm this as I see this as well. Definitely need optimization there. Other than that the only real issue I see so far.

16. Saraceno

nessy, you're running too much. OA Premium is enough on its own.
    Mamutu + prevx SOL enough on its own.

Try MBAM with another combo, such as MBAM and Mamutu.

17. nessy90

Thanks Saraceno
    Would MBAM and MAMUTU together offer the same protection that Prevex as far as stopping bugs trojans and other nasties from getting into my system, I did ask some time ago if MBAM would be alright as a stnd alone AV and was told no it is a supplement to an AV. as for OA I wont be getting rid of it as Im a strong supporter of the program
    Thanks Nessy

18. Saraceno

Mamutu is strong as when it comes to drive-by downloads, programs that aim to toast your system. For example, Mamutu will protect a program from installing invisibly, making a connection to the internet, creating an autostart entry, keyloggers and so on. It might not be able to scan a bunch of files, but launching a problem file should see it quarantined and removed easily.

MBAM on the other hand, is going to block a lot of problem downloads, it's able to be used as a right-click scan for unknown files/folders, and has great cleaning ability. You could even throw in an install of Hitman Pro to scan files and scan your system daily. The two, which are both classed as 'second opinion', can form an opinion as strong, or stronger than a single AV.

Prevx is a fantastic program, no further explanation needed.

All depends on what you do on the net. Want problem sites blocked, for example, friend/family use your computer, I'd go for MBAM as a priority (others might just allow an OA or Mamutu alert). But if you're into installing unknown programs, downloading torrents, then either OA or Mamutu will come in handy in preventing a file from doing damage to your system.

Slowdown may occur with Mamutu analysing files and OA doing the same. I'd personally stick with a setup around one or the other.

Setups could be:

Setup 1
    OA premium, Prevx SOL, MBAM on-demand, Hitman Pro

Setup 2
    Mamutu, Prevx SOL, MBAM (real-time, then wouldn't go prevx, otherwise keep prevx and use on-demand), Hitman Pro

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  19. nessy90

Appreciate youre time Saraceno Ill try youre setup 1 suggestion and let you know how it goes, again thankyou very much.

nessy:thumb:

20. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

If you were not seeing a decent drop in scan times with the beta try again after you receive definitions update 5102, there was a small but significant optimization (on some systems).

It had no effect on my scan times but some staff did see good results.

21. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

OK. Thanks for that perspective. Over the years as always have a screaming desktop (an i7 right now) I often loose sight of the fact others may not be as fortunate and would not only be subject to system drag but actually notice it. My bad.

However, I was thinking more along the constraint of after an upgrade to 1.50 from 1.46 Pro and in a few weeks you're browsing the Web or drilling a USB stick and MBAM Pro throws out an alert ("mystuff.trojan is trying to steal all your gold"), I can't conceive how anyone could observe, "WOW. That was alot faster than 1.46!"

Best wishes for a successful beta program and a speedy roll out of the public release. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2010
  22. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

I see Bruce no longer places a space after commas and periods. Just an observation from reading many of his posts over time. :D

23. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

That started way back in the castlecops days. I like things symmetrical so to me it looks better but alas, I am not just some forum guy anymore.

24. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Loving 1.50 beta. On my laptop (Dell 1505 1.6 celeron 2 gb ram) the mbam process is down from 75-80K to 30-35K. Seems a little faster with scan times too. The new options for scanner settings are great. Even the little protection enabled box is awesome. Good work bruce and team.

25. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Runs very well. Scheduled (2)hourly updates and scheduled daily scan work perfect.

Gerard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.