Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by siljaline, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i can see in capital letters *RESTRICTED* on top of my browser i feel so secure just because of that lavel:D

2. iFront

iFront Registered Member

I really wish MBAM paid soon has automatic updates and a strong self-protection in the upcoming future version. :cautious:

3. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

MBAM pro has automatic updates.

Self protection is overrated. If you cant stop an infection at step 1 self protection has already become moot as any targeted attack designed to undo specific self protection will succeed.

Making a big deal about self protection is like wearing a bullet proof vest inside your own home. The house is your protection tech, the person is the application, the vest is self protection and the house if full of things you want to keep safe. If a "bad guy" can easily break in, swipe your stuff and kill you with a targeted head shot what good is the vest? Just stop the "bad guy" from getting inside.

Expanding the house analogy it actually works for just about any kind of security you can think of.

sandbox = "bad guys" can break into your clubhouse but the real house is on the moon ("bad guys" can neither see nor reach your real house)

online backup = copies of everything in your house stored in a safe deposit box

image rollback = time machine that lets you live in any past version of your house even if the house at some point burns to the ground (HDD physical failure)

alt OS/install for banking/online shopping = main house contains nothing valuable

IMO if self protection ever becomes a factor in your security setup then the issue is the setup itself. At the very most self protection is the final brick in the wall.

I think of self protection the same way I think about archive scanning and email attachment scanning. If you cant detect the threat in the archive or the threat attached to the email it is meaningless to have the ability to look there. How many people do you know that got infected through an email attachment that was not flagged by their AV? If anything making a big deal over attachment scanning makes novice users less safe as they are more likely to trust attachments in general.

We made the decision long ago to start with the protection tech that will actually keep you safe and then work backwards towards the bells and whistles. Of the three I mentioned above self protection will likely be the first to be added. The self protection will be basic and novice user friendly assuming that advanced users wont ever need it anyway.

BTW, ask anyone that does IT for a living how "fun" it is to deal with a security app that has strong self protection when it becomes corrupted or it fails to stop a powerful infection.

4. iFront

iFront Registered Member

Thank you Bruce for the detailed explanation, I agree several layers of security protection are needed to be prepared for worst case scenarios.

o_O o_O

Well then how do I enable it?
    I have the paid version but still I have to update to latest definitions by using the MBAM's System Tray icon->Check for Updates :doubt:

5. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

did you try to create seperate schedule for update?:)

6. iFront

iFront Registered Member

No I didn't :(
    Can you please tell me how to schedule MBAM to update to latest definitions as soon as I go online like in Avast?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Open GUI. Select Protection tab, click the Scheduler button, select Update tab. Write back if it's not clear past that point. Realtime updating is one of the several frequency options. Note that when you add a schedule, it will be in addition to any other schedule(s) that may already be active.

8. blasev

blasev Registered Member

What I want is background (silent) update and scan. Those update and scan windows interupt me in one or another way

9. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

@Bruce ,

and what if a "bad guy" is actually a "nice guy" , but you kill him anyway ?

10. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Not 100% sure what you are asking but it sounds like you are addressing FPs. All scanners have them, it is not possible to have highly predictive tech and never FP.

We are having less over time and I don't think anyone will complain about our response time when it does happen.

11. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

While the Scheduler button under the Protection tab is an obscurity in an otherwise tab-centric UI, MBAM's overall configuration mapping is a no-brainer. In defense of the common user however, there is no help in Help other than "See the Scheduler section for details." That section in my 1.50.1.1100 Help file (as upgraded over time from 1.45 Pro) does not exist.

Create a Frequency update of Hourly with a one hour "Recover if missed by:"

If you create a Realtime schedule, the update will occur X minutes after you go online as determined by your "Repeating every:" value. (That's an over simplification of Realtime but should suffice for this discussion.)

There are settings you will find if you poke around in MBAM's UI which will reduce chatty behavior. But if any interruption is a critical detriment to your computing mission, perhaps MBAM is not for you.

Panda Cloud AV excels in that feature set!

Departmental images took care of that for the rank and file in some of the savvier enterprises I worked for. But for the glass office executives running as admins on their laptops it was always... "Yes sir. It got blowed up by a rootkit. But opening that video attachment from your college drinking buddy you gave your corporate email address to, well that could happen to anyone, sir. We'll drop everything right now and get to work on it." :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.