Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ZeroVulnLabs, Oct 15, 2013.

1. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

MBAE is out of beta. Did you disable realtime protection of Norton AV and Zonealarm firewall before installing MBAE ?

2. LittleDude

LittleDude Registered Member

MBAE installs and runs fine with Norton Internet Security(for me anyway) so Norton could possibly be eliminated as the cause.

3. ZeroVulnLabs

ZeroVulnLabs Developer (aka "pbust")

MBAE is out of beta already. Can you please post or PM all the logfiles mentioned here? Thanks!

4. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

5. ZeroVulnLabs

WOW, just when you think you've seen it all along comes some clueless "tester" with something as funny as this.

Those links are not exploits. Even if they were, the "tester" didn't even know how to trigger them. For example one page clearly showed a missing plugin. *IF* that page was an exploit, it most likely needed the plugin to exploit it. The others have no clear indication of being exploits, or maybe even exploit different browser such as IE and non-installed plugins like Flash, Java or Silverlight.

I'm trying really hard to not call this guy a clueless **** (please mods, censor me) but it's proving really difficult.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  6. guest

guest Guest

i will not say idiot but "ignorant" , that is the problem with (most) youtube testers, they don't know about what they test and even don't bother trial the product to see what it does...then they use it on a VM (that may cripple the product ) and after they say "products x is bad"

7. vojta

vojta Registered Member

"Malware Test

Nobody is a stranger there, such a friendly place.

8. crapbag

crapbag Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I ran scans with HMP and MBAM and my system seems clean. I'm not running HMPAlert and uninstalled EMET a few months ago because it gave me similar trouble opening browsers under its default settings. Weird. EMET doesn't appear on my list of programs but it may have left something behind as Sandboxie always picks it up under its software compatibility feature.

I've had a look at the MBAE folder left behind after uninstallation. Is the info you require in the log.data.dat file?

9. guest

guest Guest

indeed ;)

10. ky331

ky331 Registered Member

jpcummins wrote: "I looked in Task Manager but did not find a process related to Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit..."

Older versions of MBAE (0.09.x) launched the program via a Scheduled Task... the more recent versions (0.10.x beta and 1.x official release) use a START-UP PROGRAM (mbae.exe) and a SERVICE (mbae-sve.exe), both of which should appear in your WinPatrol under the respective tabs.

"I will wait for the next version, not a beta..."

The current version [1.03.1.1220 as I'm writing this] IS an official, NON-Beta, version... and has been out for several weeks already.

Well, I see that other people have already included some of this information, as I was slow in typing ;-)

11. ZeroVulnLabs

Yes, you are right of course. Sorry to everybody for the outburst. I'll edit my post which is a bit out of line.

The file log.data.dat is not from MBAE. Please take a look here for detailed instructions on how/what logs to provide.

12. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding; when I said "not a beta" I didn't mean to imply that the version I attempted to install was a beta because it was in fact the latest version. As I said previously when the next version is released I will try again and if necessary delve into why it did not install. I honestly thought it was something I might have unknowingly done and thought it might be something simple to correct. I am not giving up on MBAE just addressing more pressing problems. Again, thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

John

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well you are a Mod on that crazy forum so you could tell him a few words. :D
    You could also mention to this user that they are not FP's: http://malwaretips.com/threads/eset-smart-security-7-test-and-review.29561/#post-222266

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  14. guest

guest Guest

hahahaha, i wish but mod means "you have to be polite even if you are mad" ;)

by the way we are not "crazy" just different :D

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha yeah sure, but he is far from the only member doing that on your forum. And i'm sure they would appreciate if someone said anything about how they can improve.

I think you know what I mean by crazy, people with too little knowledge signs up and starts testing products against malware on their real systems, that is crazy not different. ;) Guidelines are needed.

Now back on topic....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  16. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

After you uninstall a program, to get rid of Software compatibility settings that are not necessary anymore, go to:

Configure>Software compatibility, double click the setting thats obsolete, click Remove, OK. After you do that, when you reopen the Software compatibility window, the old setting should not appear anymore.

Bo

17. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

18. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Yeah, I watched that test also. My chin just kind of dropped with a dumbfounded look on my face lol Many exploits will not just automatically run by just going to the page. If there were exploits on those pages then the tester needed to locate them, and trigger them assuming the tester had the vulnerable applications installed on his machine with the needed plugins (java, flash, silverlight, adobe reader, etc..). Also the tester should have used a process monitor so we could see if any new processes were being spawned. I could go on, but there's no reason to bash the tester anymore than he already has been. I think Malwaretips needs to limit who can post test of products on their forum. Horribly inaccurate test results like those hurt the reputation of a product, and cost them money. The developer also has to waste time responding to the fallout. I test security products from home, but I send the results to the developer so if there are any discrepancies they can consult with me about my testing methods. I only do it from time to time to contribute to improving the products I use so the developers seem to value my findings.

19. crapbag

crapbag Registered Member

Thanks Bo!

20. The occasional "hanging" of Chrome at Chrome launch is gone, since this seems to be no new release it was probably related with Chrome.

21. ZeroVulnLabs

Thanks for confirming!

22. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Looks like it's soon gonna be time for me to give this a test drive. I wanted to at least wait for stable builds. I think I'll give it a tad longer to mature still, but you could say it's on my on deck circle.

23. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

24. guest

guest Guest

When it will be fixed the compatibility with HPA? If I remember well the issue was in MBAE, right?

25. guest

guest Guest

the real issue is they post it on Youtube first THEN malwaretips , the damages are already done...

I am in charge of the review/test section, and if you knew how many videos are posted every day, sometimes i don't even want to watch them :D

the problem with youtube testers are when a product is updated/appears , they fire up the VM (what i find grotesque already, they should do it on real system), collect some samples in MDL or Malc0de, then test the product without even using it for a while to know how it works.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.