Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ZeroVulnLabs, Oct 15, 2013.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

No updates in a while -- all is well?

2. anon

anon Registered Member

o_O

Dec 20, 2017

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Strange events on XP-SP3.
    Yesterday, during installing 1.11.1.48, as admin, when extracting looked done, Word opened. Totally weird.
    I was baffled, stared at it for a while, eventually closed Word and saw MBEA notice to reboot placed over that extracting thing and behind the empty Word window.
    After reboot, my firewall (Sunbelt) wasn't there and network was limited. Hmmm.
    I shutdown. Booted again, same situation. I could not restart the firewall. Just nothing. As if it didn't exist.
    Windows event log had just one related event around the installation time that MBAE didn't start within 30.... miliseconds (I don't recall exact number of zeros).

Uninstalled 1.11.1.48, rebooted, firewall is back, network is fine.
    Today XP booted up just fine. I installed 1.10.1.24 and all is well. MBAE, Firewall icons are there. MBAE injects its DLL just fine as it always did.

Any idea what went wrong with the installation in such a strange way? Should I try again or give up?

4. bellgamin

Runs fine on my XP-3. Could it be a conflict with some specific aspect of your computer's set-up?

5. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

1.11.1.48 still running ok on my XP-3

6. act8192

Yes, but which aspect? My system hasn't changed in ages. The only thing I can think of:
    1. I did not do a clean install. Instead I downloaded and installed on top of what I had.
    2. Perhaps this installed wasn't patient enough with me delaying while answering alerts from SSM and the firewall.
    I have no other security running on XP. And opening Word was totally out of the ordinary.

@Tinstaafl, that's what I read in the last few pages of this thread. It's supposed to be ok.

Anyway, thank you both. I might try again.

7. bellgamin

(a) If you have a recent C drive image, I suggest you restore to that, then try again on the MBAE install.
    (b) If you are not making a C drive image at least weekly, I suggest you start doing so -- this is especially necessary for those of us foolish/stubborn enough to still be running XP. A good imaging software is, in my opinion, THE BEST security app you can find.
    (c) I used to use SSM, & I loooved it, but SSM is a terrible grouch when installing something. No matter how fast I answered SSM's pop-ups, SSM still managed to foul-up some installs -- it looked like the install went okay, but the program acted weird or wouldn't run at all. I finally got to where I ALWAYS disabled SSM when installing. It was risky, but I had a lot fewer headaches.

I hope you get things fixed soon. Shalom & Aloha.

8. act8192

I cleaned up things. Diddn't have to reimage. Uninstalled MBAE. With SSM and Sunbelt firewall still ON, MBAE 1.11.1.48 installed just fine inspite of having to slowly answer about 6 alerts from both securities. Firewall and SSM icons and functioning intact. MBAE icon came in and it didn't insist on rebooting, which I do anyway.
    ProcessExplorer says mbam.dll is injecting as it should and the Calc test confirms that all is well on XP.

9. bellgamin

:thumb::thumb:

10. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Just got updated to v1.11.1.79 a short time ago....

MBAE_1.11.1.79_install_05.JPG

12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

...and this was the prelude: ;)

MBAE_1.11.1.79_inxtall_01.JPG ...> MBAE_1.11.1.79_install_02.JPG ...> MBAE_1.11.1.79_install_03.JPG

13. anon

anon Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018 at 12:17 AM
  14. anon

anon Registered Member

1.11.1.79 installed on top of 1.11.1.68 [Premium],
    Windows 10 Pro x64 (Version 1709 - Build 16299.248 ).
    Browser: Edge, IE11 and Vivaldi.

No problems so far.

15. anon

anon Registered Member

FP.....