Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by puff-m-d, Nov 14, 2016.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

2. XIII

XIII Registered Member

3.0.6.1458 does still not install on my system, unless I set the TMP/TEMP environment variables to a hard drive (J: ) instead of a RAM drive (Z: ).

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

My first issue after several weeks today. Would not upgrade to v3.0.6 so I manually did it from MajorGeeks but now Ransomeware protection can't start!

edit: So I rebooted>manually started the ransomeware protection and all is good again!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I use Process Lasso which automatically restrains processes that hog the CPU.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I installed v3.0.6 over v3.0.5 without issue. A reboot is not required, but I did so anyway. The only issue I've been having with v3 is that there isn't a way to turn off the warning when a protection feature is disabled. (I use HitmanPro.Alert for exploit protection on all of our machines and need to turn off exploit protection in MBAM). This isn't a critical problem, but I hope the fix comes soon because some family members can't tolerate persistent error messages and I've had to keep them on MBAM v2 for now.

6. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I had previously uninstalled MBAM 3 and installed Zemana Antimalware. However, decided to try MBAM new version 3.0.6.1458, so I made Zemana on demand and installed the updated MBAM 3. So far everything is going fine...no problems. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it continues that way. I'm still keeping family members on MBAM 2 until I am confident that the new update is continuing to work properly tho.

7. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

With the newest version, did they fix the Settings>Protection>Manage Protected Applications Edit or Remove being grayed out? Still not able to reset/clear Protection History? Otherwise, I have no problems with 3.0.5.

Win 10 Pro x64 v1607 build 14393

Thanks,
    Robert

8. JohnBurns

No, they are still greyed out.

9. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Thanks, John. I will wait till it becomes available through the internal updater.

Robert

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It appears that the default list of protected apps in exploit protection cannot be removed. Is that what you're referring to? They can be turned off though; is that not sufficient?

11. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

12. boredog

boredog Registered Member

My version doesn't seem to be auto updating. Is this new version one that has to be installed manually?

13. JohnBurns

Please explain - what do you mean? Would like a little more explanation.

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe it's a manual update at the moment.

15. boredog

Victek

He is talking about this one where the edit and remove buttons are not usable and grayed out.

Attached Files:

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, we're talking about the same thing. This is the exploits protection section and it appears that the default list cannot be edited. Apps not on the list can be added though. I'm not seeing what the problem is...?

17. boredog

"The one notable issue that was not able to be included in this release was problem with imaging programs (such as Macrium Reflect) where large artifact files are left System Volume Information file if a backup is created with anti-ransomware protection enabled. That one should be coming soon after this release!"

I don't know about you guys but I still get those files and I have ransomware protection turned off all along.

18. boredog

Victek

I think they mentioned they tried to add another app but after could not edit or remove even the new app. I might be way off though, since I have not tried adding another app.My screen shot above shows app protection and this one shows what I call anti-exploit protection settings.

Attached Files:

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I just tested it by adding Notepad. Afterward I was able to edit the entry and then remove it :thumb:

20. boredog

Then I am not sure what they are talking about. I just added write.exe and could not remove or edit it and clicking the restore defaults did not take the addition away either. Are you using the new 3.06 version? I am still using the 3.05

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  21. JohnBurns

I have no problem with System Volume Information - and I'm using Macrium Reflect to backup on external disk.

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, I'm using 3.0.6. I didn't try it in 3.0.5 since I normally keep exploit protection turned Off due to running HMPA

23. boredog

The thing that bugs me is when I turn off exploit protection and then look at advanced they all still show up making me think it was never turned off.

24. boredog

John which version are you using? 3.06?

and you are not seeing files that look like my screen shot in the sys vol folder? to delete them I boot up to a Linux distro. otherwise my system won't allow them to be deleted.

Attached Files:

25. Telos

Telos Registered Member

Same here. In fact, I no longer run MBAM (it's still installed) and I have its service set to "Disabled" and the artifact files continue to accumulate with each daily image.

Since 3.0.6 does not address this, I am skipping this update.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.