Malwarebytes 1.60 beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by stapp, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

And a faster start wouldn't be bad. MBAM takes forever to launch

2. pinktuxedo

pinktuxedo Guest

Mr. Pink, I recognize you from last years family reunion. I don't come here often so I am a ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ :) when it comes to knowing the best palce to post this.

I apologize if it has been said 500 times already but can't they stop MBAM from detecting SPYWAREBLASTERS internet explorer restrictions as bad malware. Am I only the 7,000th person to ask this question?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2011
  3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I use both and MBAM does not detect them here nor does MBAM detect the custom blocking list I use as malware either.

4. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

MBAM has a delayed start by design, so as to reduce potential conflicts with other security software if my memory serves me.

5. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Excuse me?!?!?! lol

6. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've instructed Samuel to sign up for Wilders and keep in touch with our community here.

Happy holidays everyone!

7. exile360

exile360 Registered Member

Yep, I'm still here and paying attention to every response :).

8. exile360

If you're referring to the amount of time it takes for the protection module (tray) to load on Vista and 7, that can be changed. Please refer to item #17 of our FAQ :).

It is also correct (as pointed out by The Seeker) that we delay it deliberately to try and prevent conflicts during startup with antivirus software, but as long as you change the startup type for the service (as detailed in the FAQ item indicated above) and have no issue during boot, then you should be fine. If you do encounter problems, you can boot to Safe Mode and change the service startup type back to Automatic (Delayed Start).

9. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

I guess he might be referring when you double-click on MBAM icon on your computer desktop, it takes an eternity to load the GUI so you can work on it.
    I've noticed that.

Thanks.

10. exile360

Ah yes, unfortunately, short of perhaps shrinking the database in size, I don't think there's too much we could do about that (it's loading the entire database into mbam.exe for scanning). Does anyone think that perhaps some sort of loading image/splash screen when the scanner is launched would be a good idea? At least then, a user not familiar with the delay would realize that the scanner is loading.

I'm not personally a big fan of such splash screens, but I can see why some might want one in such scenarios.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

If you were to go that route, a 'percentage completed' screen would be informative. We'd all see that the scanner was loading, and the numbers flipping past would make it appear to be going faster.
    Since I have to wait anyway, I wouldn't find it objectionable at all. :)

12. exile360

Ah, you mean similar to what we currently have for the updater window, where it shows the percent complete of the database download?

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yep.
    Just an idea. :)

MBAM counter.jpg

Or even a smaller dialog down by the system tray, just to show rapid progress of scanner window loading.

14. exile360

Cool, thanks for the ideas, you've definitely given me some good ideas to ponder :).

15. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

According to me, MBAM has always been slow the surfing and it's heavy on ressources, a light version will be nice ! ;)
    That's the main reason, I abandoned this very secure software.

16. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

I have the free version on XP lol.

This.

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

@mrpink... This.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Does the "chameleon" technology slow the startup at all? Also, it would be nice to hear more about how it works. I remember having to change the name of the MBAM executable on occasion to get it to run on infected machines. Is that part of "chameleon"?

19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

There is a new Chameleon folder in the MBAM program files, there are all kinds of files in there(.exe, .com, .scr, .chm, MS-DOS shortcut) with all different names, so I guess it's kinda the same but now automatic.

20. exile360

Really? It does use a bit of RAM (though reasonable by today's standards, considering the amount of RAM a new system comes with is generally 1GB at absolute minimum). If you had slow browsing and slow system performance, these would likely be resolved by setting proper exclusions for MBAM's exe's in your antivirus (mbam.exe, mbamservice.exe and mbamgui.exe). Doing so usually resolves any performance issues in the majority of cases.

No. It doesn't execute anything at startup.

If you refer to the Help file (accessible via START>All Programs>Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) it explains how to launch Chameleon. Chameleon uses a Help file (Chameleon.chm) to launch, which is accessible via START>All Programs>Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware>Tools that contains instructions and a list of links to try in order to get MBAM running when blocked by infection.

21. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

It's quite snappy here on XP PRO SP3 with a Sempron @ 2.7 GHz and 1 GB RAM

22. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

I suggested this feature via ther forum couple months ago :D and finally they hear :cool:
    can't wait this GREAT feature and improvement.

23. exile360

Yes, it's been one of our most requested features for a very long time now, I'm also glad we were finally able to get it in :).

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

will there be any changes in the interface?.....most other security products says you're protected or something like that....and somehow highlights the realtime/on-access protection or feature.....mbam shows scanner first .....says protection module enabled and a green tick mark in the second tab......but it still feels only like a scanner.......mind you every other product also scans......but exhibits on-access feature more center forward in the spotlight........

25. exile360

No, there won't be any major updates to the GUI yet, though we do have plans to overhaul the user interface eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.