Malware Vs. Malicious Code

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by big4guy, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big4guy

big4guy Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering, whats the difference between Malware and Malicious Code. Do they mean one and the same or is there a difference in the way these two terms are used. Can anybody explain?

Regards
    big4guy

http://www.big4guy.com

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I personally have always accepted the definition of MalWare as Malicious Software.

Malicious code then would be a by product of Malware.

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi!

malware
    (MALicious softWARE) Software designed to destroy, aggravate and otherwise make life unhappy. See crimeware, virus, worm, logic bomb, macro virus, Word macro virus and Trojan.

ma·li·cious
    adj.
    Having the nature of or resulting from malice; deliberately harmful; spiteful: malicious gossip.

ma·li'cious·ly adv.

Looks like they have the same meaning. IMHO

rico

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Malware is specifically software, but malicious code can include scripts on websites that exploit vulnerabilities to load malware. Mobile code, while it falls under the same catagory, doesn't really constitute malware in itself. The terms are often used interchangably, though. Just take out the 'malicious' part, and I think it's a little easier to distinguish, 'code' can be different than 'software'.. websites are code, but they aren't software :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.