Malware roundup - May 08

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Saraceno, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

looks like fortinent commercial

3. Saraceno

Has some useful information for beginners on spyware/trojan installs.

4. Saraceno

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Last week here at work I had to replace a mobo in a Dell SX270 because of busted caps. Afterwards I booted up and the first thing I saw was the biohazard wallpaper and I thought to myself "Oh, @#%&!". The user did not mention any of this beforehand. It is a nasty ware with pop-ups galore and BHO hijacks.

SmitFraudFix took care of Vapsup and the combination of SAS and Spybot took care of the rest (Virtumonde and some others).

6. Saraceno

I bet the user would have crapped his pants once he saw his wallpaper had been locked with that dark red color and there were more popups than explorer windows. ;)

The worst part is that the ad designs are becoming slick. They used to have a big red x and some blinking text, it looked fake, now the ads are complete with windows security logos and visa/mastercard icons.

The text to persuade the user is becoming well written too.

New net users are good as doomed. They'll be clicking and accepting every window that pops up.

Did the user say which site he visited (games, adult, warez, and so on) when it was first installed?

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Saraceno, the user mentioned none of this about the spyware. He just told the SysAdmin the computer just quit which it did have swollen capacitors on the motherboard. It had to been infected for a while and I don't see how he got anything done having to knock down all those pop-ups all the time. The short time I had experienced it I was ready to throw the computer into the trash, lol.

I am so glad MS left active desktop off of Vista. The malware used it to show the biohazard wallpaper. In fact, the only time I have ever seen active desktop used was for malicious acts. It is about time MS got rid of that useless feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.