Malware Research Group Flash Tests

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by G1111, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sveta MRG

Sveta MRG Registered Member

We included Hitman Pro in these tests at the request of the vendor.

We have updated the report to indicate it was the full version of MBAM that was used.

Regards,
    Sveta

2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Doesn't make sense to me. You put all that effort into the testing (and I can see that it must have been a lot of effort), but then record the results as a simple pass/fail - a real imbalance between the 'field work' and the final write up. There could have been some real interesting discussion if we'd been able to see the detail behind the results.
    And sure, it's not standard practice for a testing organisation to do that, but there's no rules against it. You've never been an organisation to abide by 'standard practices' in the past, e.g. your browser security test where you highlighted which security apps protected the customer even where they'd allowed the malware to infect the system.

I stand by what I say...a real lost opportunity. But thanks for all the work and effort you did.

3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I bet you know malwares and anti-malware programs won't run in a virtual environment like they do in real environment.

This only "detail" should disqualify your test as reliable.

4. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

You missed the critical word "some". Some malware doesn't run in a VM. And if you're not testing VM aware malware then it's irrelevant. I've only come across one or two anti-malware apps that don't run in VMs.

5. pykko

pykko Registered Member

@Scoobs72: Yes, some.
    But some others run with limited actions. There isn't "all or nothing". It could be also "some" ;)

6. Sveta MRG

It is true that some malwares are VM aware and it would be pointless to test them inside VM's don't you think. When we need to, we conduct testing on real systems.

Regards,
    Sveta

7. Sveta MRG

Every sample is always verified before the testing begins, missed samples sent to vendors......

Regards,
    Sveta

8. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

thats why MBAM deserves even more "respect", its a single engine scan and put dozens of AV on shame :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.