Malware protection

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by pm1979, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pm1979

pm1979 Registered Member

Im running the latest ESET Smart Security software.

But yesterday I was infected with "Vista Total Security 2011" malware program.

I'm just curious why Eset didnt pick it up. I did a scan and it still didnt pick it up. I managed to remove the malware manually by following some instructions from the internet.

I also downloaded a spyware/malware scan program (Seems pretty legitimate). It scanned my computer and found about 9 threats and about a 100 suspected threats.

Shouldnt ESET pick all this up?

Any help would be much appreciated

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Hi,I get something for you:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011and refer to "Automated Removal Instructions for XP Anti-Virus 2011, Vista Total Security 2011, and Win 7 Home Security using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" to ensure your PC is free of this rogueware.

4. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I tried a link from MDL which redirected to a fake scanner page. It showed a popup that eset found suspicious activity in your computer. How did it know I was using Eseto_O? I was using chrome under sandboxie. I have Eset Smart Security installed. I don't know if it is okay to give the link here (In delinked form).

5. yongsua

May I know what is the fake antivirus name?

6. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I don't know. The website popup said E-Set was detecting suspicious activity in your computer. The downloaded file had AVG icon. I didn't execute the setup file. Only the web page showed fake scan.

7. yongsua

Hahaha,never mind.Try this to remove it:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-e-set-antivirus-2011 to ensure you are really free from this rogueware even you never execute the setup file.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  8. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I am pretty sure there is no infection as I have emptied sandboxie contents automatically after closing browser:) Thanks for the link anyway:)

9. yongsua

You are welcome.Luckily you are using sandboxie.Hehe.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.