malware infections

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by maugrimx, Jan 28, 2016.

1. maugrimx

maugrimx Registered Member

is there websites out there that can infect my computer no matter what security software i have? i currently use avast antivirus free, spywareblaster, ublock origin, wot, https everywhere, malwarebytes free and also have noscript. can some malware get past noscript?

2. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello maugrimx and welcome:

Malwarebytes is a corporation and has many products. Specifically you may wish to at least add the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, the premium version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and thoughtfully populate the %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS file.

Yes - malware other than malicious javascript can easily penetrate a Windows system. Yet NoScript is still useful.

HTH

3. amarildojr

amarildojr Registered Member

I'd consider using a sandbox for your browser. COMODO is free, has HIPS, Sandbox, and a good Firewall. So by using it you'd have a very good amount of browser protection (as long as you configure comodo the right way).

4. maugrimx

i installed malwarebytes anti exploit now, have never tried it before. i have used hphosts and mvps hosts files in the past and used hostsman some days ago with hphosts but i couldnt edit the hosts file with hostsman only update it, it was freezing so i gave up. do you know about another hosts file editor/updater that works?

5. maugrimx

you mean i should use only the comodo firewall without the antivirus? or should i uninstall avast then and also install comodo antivirus?

6. amarildojr

amarildojr Registered Member

None of the above :p You can use COMODO and Avast together, specially since COMDO doesn't focus their product on Antivirus (their AV engine isn't that good).

My security setup on Windows was:

- COMODO Firewall;
    - COMODO HIPS;
    - EMET 5.2 at Max Settings;
    - COMODO Sandbox for sandboxing;
    - Avira, it has the best AV scanner;
    - non-Admnistrative account;
    - UAC at max (this way I needed to type the admin password anytime a system change was made);
    - MalwarebytesPremium;

I think this was it.

7. maugrimx

i also liked avira and used it several years ago until it stopped working on my computer for some reason.

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

With uBlock Origin and Noscript (I hope properly configured) there is little chance you will get infected just by visiting a website. You will probably have to run something by yourself to trigger infection. Just update your browser, flash and java if you have it installed.

9. maugrimx

everything is updated, i use a program called patchmypc just to be sure that nothing is outdated. does someone know a replacement for hostsman that can update and edit the hostsfile?

10. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I have been using NoScript for a little over 7 years, to this day, I never seen anything that resembles malware while browsing. I mean nothing that looks like a fake scanner or ransomware or anything like that. NoScript blocks a lot of stuff silently. I think its a great program. If on top of Firefox with NoScript and perhaps Adblock plus, or something simlar, you run the browser under Sandboxie, I doubt you ll see malware again...,ever, unless you recover the malware and run it out of the sandbox.

Bo