Malware Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ibrad, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

still in development

may i ask a question about torchsoft Malware Defender ?

is full free now ?

in the torchsoft is nore in the list
    the home is
    -http://labs.360.cn/malwaredefender/index.html

but is in chinese or japanese i guess

is still in development this GEM of software?

or is sadly gone ?

ps i got some problems installing the free version , is there a cleaner for it ?
    a tool to make a clean installation

there is even a firewall in beta..
    thanks
    cheers

2. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Re: still in development

Yes.

Yes, that's the new home for Malware Defender because its author now works for that company, which develops security software, which is why Malware Defender moved there as well.

It's chinese. The author is chinese, and it's also hinted by the domain: .cn.

Yes, it is. Development is slower because most likely its author now has to work on other projects as well, and because Malware Defender is quite mature so there is less and less to fix/tweak. That was said by the author himself as well, that as the program matures there will be new versions less frequently.

No, it's not gone. Not yet at least.

You did uninstall the previous version and restarted your computer (just in case), before installing the new version?

We're still talking about Malware Defender here?

3. shadek

shadek Registered Member

What happens to the plans about an upcoming version to x64?

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

64 bit version?when?

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I've never heard of a MD x64.
    But if it does come, OMG I'LL GRAB MY ONE PLEASE!! :argh:

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

me too man:D

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Re: still in development

thanks a lot

could be used like a firewall , to stop incoming or outgoing programs?

i 'm looking for the manual to download before install it

8. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Sorry, there was tired at the moment and got Malware Defender and DefenseWall mixed up. DefenseWall is getting x64 support within half a year or so.

Sorry if I made you all jumpy and happy for nothing!

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks buddy and yes defensewall 64 bit cant wait no more:D :thumb:

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

is there a way to add folders to the trusted zone to avoid many pop ups ?
    thanks

11. Night_Raven

Well, yes. You can add global file rules: right-click -> New Rule -> File rule... or you can double-click the wildcard (*) under Application Rules, go to the File tab and add files/folders with the desired permissions.

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    is dangerous add this files in the global rules ?
    sadly there is Not a exhaustive for me

by the way malware defender is the only FREE HIPS ,isn't it

would like to know if malware could pass this test https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=297649

13. Night_Raven

Which files? If you mean is it dangerous to add flobal file rules in general, then the answer is: it depends what rules exactly you add. If you don't create rules correctly, you will get a bad level of protection, or you will have problems with your everyday work.
    In other words: HIPS programs are aimed at advanced users, especially those like Malware Defender. If you aren't prepared to answer popups and/or don't know how to create additional rules, you shouldn't work with HIPS programs in the first place.

This I didn't understand at all.

Well, it depends how you look at it. Comodo Firewall/Internet Security, Online Armor, Outpost Firewall/Security Suite and Privatefirewall all have HIPS components and all of them are either free or have a free version. However they are not as pure and raw as Malware Defender is. There are other raw/pure HIPS programs but they are abandoned.
    So, in terms of pure/raw HIPS that is still alive Malware Defender is the only one (free or paid).

I've said it in that topic but I'll repeat it here: Malware Defender fails in that test with default settings. It could pass if loading of DLL files is enabled but that would also be rather impractical as it would lead to a lot more popups.

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

for example the program i use a lot
    like photoshop ,word , firefox and other , give full permission should not be a security break ,shouldn't it?

i mean there is not a exhaustive manual , or a internet resource that can teach me how use malware defender

and..
    yes i did
    but i like to make a clean install
    uninstall , reboot and run a cleaner

thanks!

15. Night_Raven

In my opinion it's wrong to give full permissions to any program. Better to create the rules that the program needs to operate normally.

No, there isn't such a manual. At least none that I know of.

Well, I've never had any issues with uninstallation/installation and I'm not aware of any cleaning tools for Malware Defender.

16. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

That's a good rule of thumb for the mainstream Web surfer, social networker, yoo toober and POP3 emailer. But it's an an otherwise tedious tact which subjects the user to a never ending fanfare of vertigo inducing popups even after aggressive learning mode sessions.

I don't see any reason for a non-Intenet/network app working with known-good local files and functions to be excluded from Trusted Applications.

While I have 76 Normal Applications rules I also have 45 in Trusted. The latter include classes the likes of CCleaner, Defraggler, Revo Uninstaller, CPU-Z (you get the idea), Sandboxie and all my AV apps as well as multimedia re-coding and editing apps, DVD/CD burners and zip and rar utilities. Any unlikely threats those might handle would be snagged by a four layer realtime/on-access design which includes MBAM Pro.

Of course, if MD is your only security app then a world of near-perpetual decisions is the one you have to live with.

Allowing the need for simplification within the scope of this discussion I consider MD my front line security app and the granularity of configuration within even the Trusted grouping to be without equal in its class.

That said, I believe configuring rules for everything to be a misguided and unnecessary strategy. As much fun as that might be... ;)

17. kiko78

kiko78 Registered Member

hello
    I am running Windows seven 32 and malware defender does not start with windows, you have a solution?

thanks

18. Night_Raven

Your account is a standard one or an administrator one (with or without UAC)?

19. kiko78

kiko78 Registered Member

my account is an administrator and the UAC is disable...

20. Night_Raven

Please open Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Task Scheduler. Click Task Scheduler Library and check whether there is a task named Malware Defender (in the middle section).

21. kiko78

kiko78 Registered Member

thank you for your answers, but I found the solution, I disabled the Windows Task Scheduler consequently malware defender will not start (aside the service)

22. mantra

mantra Registered Member

it doesn't work for me
    i did it
    butwhen i run a program inside the global rules, malware defender pops up...

23. Night_Raven

Wait a tick... By trusted folders you meant any program inside those folders should be allowed to run and do anything? Because I had the impression you wanted to have folders that can be modified by any program.
    If you want to have trusted programs, just add them to the Trusted Applications list.

24. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes i do
    for example , photoshop , the legit office , the antivirus ,firefox ,7zip and so on

i would like to avoid many pop ups for the program i use more

25. Night_Raven

Well, as I already said, add them to the Trusted Applications under Application Rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.