Malware Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ibrad, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I installed MD and I let it be on learning mode. It felt
    really nice, the only problem I had was that for some reason my System
    Restore was stopped. The Windows Event log show something like: The
    system restore filter encountered an error while processing mdhook.dll on
    the volume hard disk. It has stopped monitoring the volume.
    mdhook.dll enabled or disabled caused the same SR error on the Windows log.
    If you or anybody can tell me how to take care of that, I would appreciate
    it a lot.

Bo

2. David2041

David2041 Registered Member

Just to announce you that the new MD2.7.2 (Beta) has been realeased,no changelog yet.
    The link: -http://dl.360safe.com/md_setup_en.exe- :)

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Downloaded and installed 2.7.2 beta. Exported my existing rules first, scanned MD setup.exe with Hitman Pro and then installed over existing MD version after turning off protection and exiting GUI. Installation was no problem. Existing rules were intact after install. Opened the GUI and checked the various tabs. All opened except for "kernel module" which hung. Did a reboot and now it opened. One other curious thing before reboot the "hooks" module showed hooks being used by Malware Defender. After reboot the hooks used by Malware Defender do not display. Hooks used by Microsoft, Kaspersky and DefenseWall seem to display properly. Hooks used by Malware Defender did not display in previous versions either. Tried to download a file with MD File Protection active and I get a prompt from MD whether to permit or deny or deny and kill process. Thus far latest beta seems to be working properly.

4. icr

icr Registered Member

Thanks for the link David:) Will give MD a try again, Hope the change logs come soon

Have a good day:)

5. icr

icr Registered Member

Tried MD installed smoothly on my Win7 ultimate 32bit. I do have to say I liked the new GUI and I was figuring out for some changes in this version but failed to find any except the new polished GUI:p

Will be testing against some new variants of TDSS:cool:

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

It seems like a nice program, anyone ever had a BSOD or other system damaging issues with MD?

7. icr

icr Registered Member

Well that would be me again, when I tried MD for the very first time:D I was fed up with its endless pop ups and finally gave a Permit rule for anything happening on my VM which ended in BSOD X-o

8. test

test Registered Member

could you attach some screenshots? :D

9. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I would like this too. I'm still running the last paid release version

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

+1
    Any pictures? :argh: :argh:

11. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Ugly! No way to turn off the blue window borders. Sigh. :(
    MD.png

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

HMMM. . .
    Doesn't looks bad but not that good either :p
    I think i still prefer the old one :D

13. icr

icr Registered Member

@ Noob

I didn't find it that bad infact I prefer the new one;)

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Do you have MD running with applocker as well?

15. icr

icr Registered Member

No I am not using it with Applocker:)

16. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Is there some benefit to running MD over applocker? I am on my way setting up applocker now but I am predicting it will eventually be a pain. Is MD as secure as applocker?

I'm also considering Comodo with D+ because I like their sandbox feature. Is the HIPS feature in D+ similar to that of MD?

thanks

17. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

The new interface is OK. Its basically the same interface but with so it's actually more of a color change than anything else. Still it does have a nasty bug in it: on my machine it maximizes improperly because I keep my taskbar on the left side. If I move the taskbar at default bottom position MD's main window maximizes just fine.

18. icr

icr Registered Member

Applocker is more restriction based its suitable if you want to block a particular application coz in applocker you can block a particular application based on its hashes or version, But in case of MD where a rule created for blocking an application can be bypassed by just renaming that application:)

So as you said that you are creating rules for applocker so I guess you are intrested in blocking some specific applications.

MD is a classical HIPS it takes time to understand but as you become more familiar with it you will get to know it more better while D+ is preconfigured and is very much easy to understand at first go and it is similar in terms of features but MD is more naked in showing the behavior of an application:)

19. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Eek, that GUI looks well... bad. I'll be sticking with 2.6 which Xiaolin released and hope Windows updates never breaks it.

Speaking of Xiaolin he released an update for Registry Workshop the other day if anyone owns that also.

20. subset

subset Registered Member

True, I hope there will be more themes to choose from with the final release.

A really smart idea is also, that the Beta 2.7.2 has the same download link like the previous final 2.7.1. o_O
    Even from the official site (labs.360.cn/malwaredefender) everyone gets the Beta...

However, there are no hook, driver etc. tabs anymore, instead there is this Application sub-rules tab.

271vs272.png

I don't like the new style, because it makes things difficult to control, as there may be many, many rules in this tab.
    Others may like it, because there are all advanced app rules at once.
    But we both have no choice. :thumbd:
    Don't know why developers always tend to force such "benefits" upon people instead of making things optional.

Cheers

21. icr

icr Registered Member

Any specific reason for not using the v2.7.1 coz it has the same GUI as previous versions:)

22. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Yes when i installed it in a VM i had a few issues (freezing) which did not occur when i loaded 2.6 plus i've never seen a changelog for any 2.7.X release so i have no clue what i would be upgrading for. If i recall it was said 2.7.0 only had icon/branding changes but people reported new bugs, so clearly other things were done to it and i don't know what.

So i don't see any compelling reason to upgrade when 2.6 has performed flawlessly for so long.

P.S Your MD signature link is RIP.

23. icr

icr Registered Member

I couldn't use v2.6 as my tiral was over and I didn't find any errors when I used v2.7 with some occasional freezes when installed on my Win7 but when I installed it in a fresh Win7 System it worked flawlessly:)

BTW thanks info:) Updated my link:)

24. subset

subset Registered Member

Beta 2.7.2 also breaks the usage of the v2.6 mdresxxx.dll.
    The MalwareDefender.exe crashes if the new 'Default Permissions' tab is accessed.
    Customers of the non-English Torchsoft versions are locked out in the future. :thumbd:

Cheers

25. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'm still using 2.6.0 and will also stay put until there is a compelling reason to "upgrade". I miss the old days when Xiaolin would drop by to visit us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.