Malware Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ibrad, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Like most of my security software I like to understand how to use it before I install it. Do the fact I finally decided I should use a Classical HIPS again I want to make sure I do it right this time.

After reading few threads on this software I see that you should run your machine in learning mode for a few days, does Malware Defender do this automatically for the first boot or do I have to manually set that up?

While installing software do I just put the software in learning mode or do I have to take the time to answer a alert for everything the installer is trying to do?

Do I have to manually uninstall and reinstall this app for every update?

Are the default rules ok, or do I have to go through and set everything up?

From what I have read Malware Defender has a firewall built into it, will it conflict with any other software files?

Is Malware Defender very stable? I don't want to have to reformat my machine after trying to install it.

2. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

It automatically changes to Learning Mode after installing. When you think it is necessary (=it has learned enough), you can change to Normal Mode..

You can choose to answer all alerts, or simply choose in the popup the option to treat that setup as Installer or Updater. In this way you would be alerted only for most critical actions.

No, usually newest MD releases can be installed over the previous version (only a reboot is needed). Anyway Xiaolin explicitly suggests when is recommended to uninstall-reinstall, often when there are big changes..

MD will warn you for new actions seeing the ruleset (= if it does not know if an action is safe or not, because in the ruleset there are not rules about it, it will warn you)

It is suggested to not install 2 firewalls together. if you use any another software firewall simply disable one of them.
    It is important to not install 2 firewall/hips together.

MD is very stable...

Anyway these are my opinions..

Regards

3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

MD places itself automatically into learning mode on installation. I would recommend you reboot a few times in learning mode, then spend 10 minutes opening every application you can to generate rules. I would also recommend changing the default application rules "Send message to other processes" and "Duplicate handle from/to other processes" to permit. This will reduce the level of security a bit, but will also make MD much less chatty.

Disable MD when installing software assuming it is software you trust. If you don't trust the software then either you shouldn't be installing it or you should be using some other containment method. You can use learning mode and then "Remove Stale Rules", but I don't find that approach necessary.

No

The default rules are good. There should be no need to change them, aside from the change I mentioned above...which some people may disagree with, but which makes MD a lot more user-friendly for me.

Potentially. If you want to use a separate software firewall then just disable the network protection. However, if you're behind a router then MDs network protection adds outbound filtering to your already strong inbound protection from the router's firewall.

Yes, very stable in my experience. I've never had a single crash or problem with it.

My only other comment is to take time to learn and understand MD. It is very powerful, but can be initially quite confusing and result in uninstalling it due to frustration. When you get a pop-up take time to read and understand it, don't rush your response. Then post pop-up review the rule it created so you can begin to understand how the rule structure works. A key point to remember is that rules go from bottom to top. It is an awesome application and can be 'enjoyed' - which is rare from a security application.

4. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

I don't agree, switching to Learning Mode means that installer has full power.. that has no sense if you want to be protected by an hips, imho..

5. Scoobs72

1st rule (for me) - don't install software you don't trust. As long as you are installing software you trust then learning mode can be used to view the changes made by the installer. It is purely for curiosities sake. Personally I don't use learning mode like that (I disable MD) and for monitoring the install I use Total Uninstall. But I have read that some people use learning mode during the install then delete stale rules afterwards.

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I only install software I trust, most of the time when I am installing something it is a game I have from a disk.

Also if I do go the learning mode route would I have to delete all the stale rules manually or does it automatically remove them for me?

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I don't believe so, there is an option under "rules" to remove stale rules and remove temporary rules. You can easily delete then manually. Also, I export (save) a rule set every so often as a backup. This way if you think you messed up a rule you can always import the previous rule set. You can also reset it back to default rules if you wish. The great thing about MD is you can configure it to your heart's content. Do some research on some of the past posts here at Wilders. Folks have been very creative with coming up with rule sets. There is a 30-day trial period so you can test the program. I have had no conflicts with my current setup.

8. Scoobs72

"Remove Stale Rules" option is effective so manual removal shouldn't be required. But I wouldn't recommend installing in learning mode as standard practice.

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

This thing is much more powerful then anything I have ever used, I could really mess my machine up with it :p

If I disable Malware Defender before installing anything do I have to reboot to enable it again?

I have been reading some old threads on Malware Defender and it seems so advance and hard to understand, but I am in need for a new challenge. (The last time I used a classical HIPS was Online Armor 2 or 3)

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Have you read the help file?

11. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I have found no help file online and my schedule is busy this week. I actually plan on backing up my important stuff and installing it this weekend. That's why I am trying to learn everything about it now.

12. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

No, there is "pause protection" button in the tray icon. Just re-enable protection, you don't have to reboot. You can also choose from file, registry, network and program protection. The help file is attached to the program (in the upper part of the GUI). After installing MD leave it in learning mode and reboot a few times. Run some of your programs. Then select "normal mode." You can leave the default settings and still have good protection. I would suggest moving your trusted security programs to the "trusted applications' folder.

13. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Sorry, I thought you already had MD installed. (That'll teach me to try and read without my glasses)
    Good plan on backing up before installing MD or any new program to your system.
    Some good advice and tips for everyone here.
    When you do install, I do recomend reading the built in help file, might help getting a better grasp on MD, I know it helped me.
    Personally, I left MD in training mode for a few days, rebooting several times, under a tight Sandboxie setup as so to avoid being infected when surfing the net while MD learned my system. Looking through MD's logs and rules to make sure nothing that shouldn't be allowed was allowed. Opening all normal programs a few times. Once MD was trained, Sandboxie was put away and I fired up ShadowDefender to compliment MalwareDefender, but that is just my personal preference, as is running MD in "silent mode" most of the time to act as an anti-executable with a white list.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good idea about training MD and then put it in silent mode;) nothing new will be introduce to the system;)

15. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

I use Total Install for monitoring installs also, because it helps with program removal where Malware Defender doesn't. But i don't disable MD completely during installs, i leave network protection only enabled this way it catches phone homes or my data potentially being sent out.

Seems a good balance.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am addicted to trying out new software, especially security apps. Therefore, I always image at least weekly. As a further fail-safe, I usually (not always) use MD during installs as follows---

1- I install/trial new stuff in Shadow Mode, with MD in learning mode. Then I study MD's logs.

2- If I see something in the logs that I do not like, I reboot and POOF! -- it's all cleaned away.

3- If I like the program, & the logs in Shadow Mode look okay, then...

3a- I leave Shadow Mode, put MD into "Pause Protection", & install the program.

3b- IF the install requires a reboot, I enable MD before rebooting. That means I will get a plethora of pop-up's from MD after the reboot -- such is life when you are paranoid. :argh:

17. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

/me do it other way round:

- install software into sandboxie
    - examine sandbox and registry
    - kick it off (most of it) or keep it (i'm almost maxed out with tools)
    - install it and set MD to learning mode while gambling around with my new toy

that covers almost 99% of all activities. :cool:

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have been having a look at Malware Defender, albeit just from general use (not testing with leaktests).
    I do quite like the app and thought it a possible replacement for my current hips, after getting the nag screen on startup (from 9 days left) I decided to purchase, however, the link from the website to Paypal causes error.
    I have attempted to purchase through other online sources but wherever I attempt to purcahse I am given an error of "The affiliate store you are accessing is no longer available for sales of this product. "

I did send an e-mail directly to support[at]torchsoft.com, but as that was almost 4 days ago with no reply I am wondering if this product is still actually available/supported.

- Stem

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes it is but maybe xiolin is bussy given some kunfu clases for the weekend:argh: ;) :D wait maybe on monday he will appear:)

20. subset

subset Registered Member

I'm not really sure what is going on, but I read in the Chinese MD forum something that they are currently also not able to purchase MD.

And from xiaolin (sandworm) "The recent replacement of domain names and hosting services provider, there will be some problems."

But that's all Google translator information. :doubt:

Cheers

21. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

silent mode? didnt know it had that? hows that work?

how do i do that then?

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

silent mode in md means block all new stuff without any alerts;) those apps that are trusted and or introduced in learning mode will be allow;)

23. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

if your computer is malware free (Clean) is there a way to tell MD to trust all files so there are no popups only new files/changes asked?

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes learning mode first then reboot and allow all regular programs;) and then put it in silent mode that is how it works:)it will be like anti-executable and without any pop ups

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It sounds like Xiaolin/Torchsoft might have changed web hosts.

I sent Torchsoft a message. I hope all is well with Xiaolin, & that he will reply here soon.

Stem - I am a long-time user of MD (Malware Defender). It is very reassuring when someone with your high degree of computer expertise finds MD to be a good enough HIPS for you to use personally. :thumb:

I expect Xiaolin will have his hosting problems resolved shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.