Malware Defender 2 beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by xiaolin, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muchinga

Muchinga Registered Member

I agree, but Xiaolin can implemente a light, and configurable firewall in a new tab. ;)
    "Enable firewall" must remain an option.

2. spidey

spidey Guest

Keep Malware Defender lean and mean. There are other bloated all-in-one apps to choose from if that's what you desire.

3. Muchinga

Muchinga Registered Member

It was a suggestion, only a suggestion !
    Usually I don't like all-in-one apps.

4. spidey

spidey Guest

Sorry, my comment wasn't directed at you. I don't like all-in-one apps either and was just making a general statement.

5. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

wat0114,

But, what about the example of Online Armor ? Doesn't it appeal to both basic and advanced users by using a model of combining a full featured firewall (which can optionally not be installed) and hips together ? And at same time, provide a level of increased sales for the vendor ?

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You have a good point, for sure. It's just that MD is geared more towards the tech savvy as opposed to OA, which is designed to appeal more to the basic user. xiaolin would have to completely re-design the product for an all-in-one package that appeals to the masses.

7. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

I don't see any reason why MD will not have fully functional FW, it is very logical direction in developing, to control every Windows API... Tall Emu started as HIPS only and look at their product now, it is great
    wat0114 why don't you suggest for example OP to drop all anti-leak features? It will eat so much less resources :rolleyes:

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The two products can't really be compared. OP went from primarily a firewall first, to one with some added HIPS-like functionality. With MD we're talking about the reverse. And technically, MD's HIPS is far more advanced than OP's, with an interface that will scare the less technically savvy than that of OP's. In light of your suggestion, if xiaolin wants to bolster the firewall to full-featured, by all means he can and probably will.

The main point I was only trying to make was that MD in particular may not appeal to such a wide-range of users as some might suggest if the firewall is enhanced to full-featured.

9. Einsturzende

So, wide range of users do not like FWs o_O
    Again, I cant see why addition of full featured FW will not appeal to users Xiaolin already have and also to more wide range of advanced users which will like Xiaolin way (granularity) copied to FW also.
    FW is natural way of further development of MD, I would also like to see it on Matousec tests (whatever we think of Matousec, that is great way of security soft. promotion)

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No, wide range of users don't like firewalls with HIPS. You'll find lots of evidence in these forums to support this statement.

Don't you think most, if not all, the users xiaolin currently has are to some degree advanced? Not everyone wants a combo product either.

Some would agree while some won't. Really it doesn't matter. In the end it's up to xiaolin, and to tell the truth, whatever he does I'll support his decision fully. He's clearly a highly skilled security software developer.

I'm waiting patiently for those tests, and I'd be willing to bet that even with this current version, it would perform extremely well :)

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

While I feel that addition of a firewall to MD will enhance its marketability, I feel that installing/running the FW component of MD should be optional -- as is the case for Online Armor.

12. Einsturzende

Well said Mr. bellgamin... I don't see many "behavioral based" one man show fully featured HIPS (or so called pure HIPS) out there which stays too long with us...
    HIPS software are not recognized as stand alone applications and it needs to be attached to something which market recognized, as I said logical course in development should be FW (even as an option)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.