Malware Defender 2 beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by xiaolin, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Running Sandboxie as well. What version/build of Avira? Network drivers sometimes cause similar problems with firewall apps...NVIDIA, in my experience, is one example.

Nick

2. xiaolin

xiaolin Registered Member

Malware Defender 2.0.0 beta3 is released

http://www.torchsoft.com/download/md_setup_2.0.0_b3.exe

what's new?
    - Added support for displaying location of remote IP address in Network Ports window and Alert window.
    - Added support for displaying detailed tooltip when moving mouse to the first column in log window.
    - Added an option to force MD to use fixed driver name.
    - Fixed a display bug in Alert window.
    - Fixed the bug that cause chkdsk error when startup (again:).

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Re: Malware Defender 2.0.0 beta3 is released

Hi xiaolin,

here's something I've seen before but forgot to report it. Sometimes the MD Service does not start. With all previous versions I've been able to start it from the Services window, but with this latest version it won't start and - unlike previous versions - this time I get a message to the effect: "The Malware Defender service is stopped. Some services stop when they have no work to do". The program otherwise is working fine and the tray icon is present as well. I've attached a ss for you to see. I even chose the "Restart the service" option for the service if it doesn't start, but that does not help. Is this supposed to work this way? Is it some sort of "dynamic" service that runs only when it needs to?

Attached Files:

4. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Thanks Xiaolin for the new beta and the support for fixed driver name. I had seen the same thing about the MD service as wat0114.

Lu Chin

5. xiaolin

I have made a mistake when creating the former installer of MD 2.0.0 beta3. The mdservice.exe cannot start. Please download again if you have installed beta3. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://www.torchsoft.com/download/md_setup_2.0.0_b3.exe

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

All looks okay now. Thank you xiaolin!

7. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Confirmed here also.

Thanks Xiaolin.

8. Hunter42

Hunter42 Registered Member

Installed beta 3 together with kis 2009 and PrevX. Runs perfect !

Thx for the hard work!

Hunter42

9. xiaolin

Malware Defender 2.0.0 beta4 is released

The beta version is available for download at http://www.torchsoft.com/download/md_setup_2.0.0_b4.exe

what's new in beta4?
    - Fixed a bug when handling registry value name which contains '\'.
    - Fixed a bug that may cause BSOD in Windows Vista SP1/2008.
    - Fixed a display bug in Network Ports window.
    - Added support for detecting connections to 127.0.0.1.
    - Changed not to log actions which are denied by ASK rules in silent mode. This will improve the performance when blocking massive actions.

10. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Re: Malware Defender 2.0.0 beta4 is released

Thanks much for this fix xiaolin :)

And MD's coming nearer & nearer to being an indispensable part to a true secure setup, IMHO...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Re: Malware Defender 2.0.0 beta4 is released

Great Xiaolin

I am using Malware Defender as a rock bottom base protection (processes + network), leaving the less important intrusions to ThreatFire.

Thanks

12. xiaolin

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Fast and excellent Xiaolin! MD is rapidly out-stripping all other classic HIPS. :thumb:

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Agreed!

15. Muchinga

Muchinga Registered Member

Xiaolin,

I am playing with MD 2 beta 5, and I like this soft.
    But 3 questions:

1) Why no checksum feature ?
    (never seen HIPS without this feature)

2) Why you don't make MD a full featured firewall ?
    (More buyers for full firewall + HIPS than HIPS + partial firewall)

3) When will you seperate the create/delete from write action ?

Sorry for my poor english !

Thanks.

16. xiaolin

IMHO, checking check sum of .exe file is not enough, all executable files (.exe, .dll, .sys) can be infected. It's better to protect executable files with file rules.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will think about it. :)

I will implement it in v2.1.

17. Muchinga

Muchinga Registered Member

Thanks Xiaolin, I will order a licence.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  18. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

MD beta 5 running nice here w/o any problems.
    xiaolin, please consider Muchinga's suggestion about making MD a full FW.
    I for one would welcome it.

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I heartily agree with Muchinga's comments. Many "average computer users" have NO idea as to what a HIPS is & does. Basically, average users are only aware of two security applications: Firewalls, & Antiviruses.

In my half-baked *Opinion* -- If you categorize Malware Defender as a "Firewall + HIPS" you will attract more users -- the "firewall" part will attract average users, and the "HIPS" part will attract advanced users. As a generalization, I might add that a "convential firewall" is a security wall between the OS and the internet, whereas a "HIPS" is a firewall between the OS and its kernel.

Secondly -- it is my further opinion that equipping Malware Defender with a good bunch of "set it & forget it" default rules will endear Malware Defender to a much broader customer base. In fact the ability to set custom rules, or to modify default rules, should be carefully concealed behind a button labelled "For Advanced Users ONLY".

20. xiaolin

Highly appreciate your invaluable suggestions. :)

21. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Xiaolin,

Xiaolin,

I also agree with the above comment from Muchinga and the comment from Bellgamin, since most software Firewall Pgms are incorporating HIPS now, for you to get more basic buyers that go only for a firewall pgm because that is all they know about besides antivirus pgms, I also think you should consider adding:

1) Full featured Firewall - With "Inbound protection" ....... Appeal to basic firewall buyers

2) Incorporate as previously suggested by Kees1958, described in his previous MD tips threads, "An Internet Facing Application Group" for placing (by MD default) your browser(s) and email applications into, and bulid security into this group to give "Limted User access" restrictions like Policy based HIPS.
    .... Appeals as a HIPS Enhancement for Advanced users (and basic users benefit also, they just don't realize it) with HIPS that eliminates the need for running a second sandboxing/policy based type of hips pgm alongside of MD for covering all the bases.

With all this, you should get an edge over most of the existing firewall software vendors which only have very "basic" hips protection compared to MD and at the same appeal to buyers that only go for complete firewall protection pgms.

IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  22. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Well commercially you are right, it will bring more profit, but as a user I wish it remains as it is, a traditional fully featured HIPS with network outbound protection, exactly what I need to complement my AV and router.

23. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Well, I am sure it should be possible for Xiaolin to implement the Firewall as a option when you install MD the first time, so everybody would be happy.

24. Murderlove

Murderlove Registered Member

All I know is that if these features were to be implemented I would be all over Malware Defender. Not only that, but I would recommend it to friends and family and later on make them buy it like I did with SB, OA and DW. Yes you read it right, MAKE :D :argh: :D.

25. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Sorry to play the Devil’s advocate, but I believe still only advanced users will buy the product. Less advanced users not wanting a HIPS (which will surely be the case because they don’t know how to or want to use one) and only a full-featured firewall have many dedicated products to chose from. Why would they buy this if they are only going to use half of it? We need look no further for an example of a full firewall/HIPS combo that frustrates the heck out of less tech-savvy users than that of Jetico 1 or 2. Also keep in mind those of you who crave Spartan resource usage, a full-featured firewall will increase resource usage considerably. Just food for thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.