Making system/file back up with Acronis True Image Home 11

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jjscotman, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjscotman

jjscotman Registered Member

Very grateful for the additional helpful comments.

Have succeeded in accessing BIOS to amend boot order which was a major relief.

I think I'm already to go tomorrow with making my first full back up on Acronis but just need quick confirmation of 2 more points.

With reference to one of my earlier posts (see above), I presume I back up my entire Disk 1 (containing Acer (C) and Data (D)) Is this correct ?

And, do I also back up Disk 2 (containing NV Cache) ?

Once again, my apologies if these questions are very basic but I want to be sure I get things right.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I had seen you mention that Disk 2 (NV Cache) earlier and was (and still am) puzzled by it. Usually the Disk numbers indicate seperate physical hard drives. Do you have another hard drive, besides the internal Disk 1 and the external My Book, Disk 3, attached to the computer?
    In any case when you boot with the Rescue CD, in the window to select what to back up, put the check mark against Disk 1, no other for now. And in the window to select the Destination for the Backup Image, select the MyBook drive. You will also have to give your Backup a name.

3. jjscotman

DwnNdrty, many thanks for prompt response.

No, I don't have any other hard drive - only the normal one in my Acer 5920G laptop and the newly bought Western Digital 500GB My Book.

In the Partitions Selection page of the Back Up Wizard, it shows up as follows:

Partition Flag Capacity Used Space[/UType

Disk 2

NV Cache Pri 512.6MB 507.0MB FAT32

The mention of FAT32surprises me as,having had to re-format the new My Book, I know my drives are NTFS.

Having googled "NV Cache", the only thing which springs to mind is the Intel Turbo Memory which is one of the features of this 5920G.

In any case, since it is small, can I just back it up along with Disk 1 to be on the safe side ?

4. DwnNdrty

I asked my Google Gods about NV Cache also and it seems to be associated only with that model of Acer and probably to do with Ready Boost. It might be a small solid state drive on the mother board. If you have the space, I would make two Images, one without it and one with it.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Just another of my guesses which sounds better than I don't really know. I wonder if he has some device that allows Vista Readyboost to run?

You sure learn a lot of things in this forum when you combine it with Google or equivalent! Never heard of Readyboost before.

6. DwnNdrty

LOL. We're thinking along the same lines. ReadyBoost is a regular feature on some of the Sandisk Flash drives - supposed to enable Vista to use the flash drive as extra memory. But I don't know how much of a difference the 500mb on that Acer is going make though. Why not just add 500mb of standard memory! Gotta be a method to the madness. :D

7. jjscotman

I think it could be Readyboost as I sometimes use a small USB flash drive to hand carry pics to/from my kids and when I plug it in I notice one of the options is to increase performance by using Readyboost.

In any case, good suggestion to make 2 back ups - one with Disk 2 and the other without.

Having bought a new 500GB My Book for the specific purpose of creating the Acronis True Image back up, space is about the only thing I have in abundance - computer knowledge sadly lacking !!

Thanks to help from everyone on here, I'm now all set to go but have to postpone actual creation of back up until tomorrow when I will have more time and won't be interrupted.

Will keep you all posted !!

Many thanks again !!

8. jjscotman

Mission successfully accomplished - 2 versions backed up and able to be seen in folders in My Book !!

Many sincere thanks to all who contributed !!

Only one remaining question for future exercises -

Instead of twiddling my thumbs and watching the countdown from days ( ??really Acronis??), can I do other tasks such as normal browsing and emailing while True Image creates the back up and verifies it ?

Seeing the minimise option in the operation in progress box suggests other work is possible but to be on safe side this time round I just sat and watched.

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Yes, if ATI doesn't work, it's not going to be because it was running in background; it will be something more collossal like wrong drivers (if using the BootCD) or low level conflict such as with a security program that hasn't been told to allow ATI progs to run.

Run it while doing other stuff to confirm for yourself that it works in background -- note, you will wnat to have the resources priorirty in ATI options set o normal at most or it will hog so many cpu cycles that working on other progs will be painfully slow. It's not bad if the priority is set to normal or low.

10. jjscotman

Thanks once again for quick reply.

I see my version 11 was set at "Low" as a default. Perhaps this was why it seemed to take a little while.

Btw, being a true Scot, all the programs I use are freeware and Acronis True Image was the first I had actually purchased since retiral meant I was meeting the bill myself.

It was well worth the money and I shall be recommending it - and this excellent friendly forum - to others.

In a way I hope you don't see me on here asking more questions but once again - Many thanks to everyone for their guidance and patience !!

Bye !!

11. Joan Archer

Joan Archer Registered Member

Glad to hear that everything went well for you, I've still to take the plunge which hopefully should be soon :)

Thanks for letting us know you managed the task ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.