making bigger then 2TB partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by you-are, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. you-are

you-are Registered Member

hi, i am new here. i have a raid-array of level 6 with 11 hdd, each of 250GB. this means that my array is 2250GB big or 2,25 TB. i firstly had partition of 2TB, but after the expansion with the 11th hdd i got partition which is bigger than 2TB....if i want to make my partition bigger so that i can use the new free space. i get error from DISK DIRECTOR (Server Edition running on win server 2003+sp1) that the partition has its maximum size. in other words DD doesnt support partitions bigger than 2TB?

how can i make my partition bigger than 2 TB? i have 1 big partition on my raid-array. and also my partition is almost full of data. so i cann't create 2 partitions each of 1 TB. any ideas to solve this problem? DISC MANAGER of win server 2003 neither does help me

2. Chipster

Chipster Registered Member

You need a larger cluster size:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140365/

Try the advanced function in DD - change cluster size.

Otherwise...

Maybe... Create a new partition in the unused space - use at least 1024 cluster size (at the rate you're going, you might want larger!).

Then you'll need to move files to the new partition. Then resize down the old partition and increase the new - and repeat the process again, and again, and again, and again....

Or... if you've got the hardware - backup, reformat to larger clusters, restore...

Either way, you'll *lose* space due to increased slack (unused bytes in each cluster).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  3. you-are

the cluster size of the partition is already 4KB, or 4096bytes. and accodrng that KB-article from MS i should be able to make partitions bigger up to 17TB.....but this is not the case....and also i have to convert my BASIC disc in DISC MANAGMENT of win server2003 to GPT disk. but this option is greyed out in DISC MANAGMENT. SO THAT IS MY TROUBLE FOR NOW.
    but there is more......in DISC MANAGMENT of win server2003 i see that there is also 47,5 GB unallocated space available. but i cann't format or make partition of this unallocated space. and DD even doesnt see that extra 47,5 gb of unallocated space.

what i did....i made a new LOGICAL partition of 184 GB (only this size was available in DD), then i changed the cluster size to 64KB, then WIZARDS >> INCREASE FREE SPACE and i increased the bigger partition. but i kept also around 15MB partition from this action. this way i got my big partition yet bigger. it was first 1,81 TB, but now it is 2,00 TB (this is 2198995673088 bytes which means this is 2047,97 GB ). and if i want also to make my 2TB much bigger with that remainging 15MB, it is not possible.....simply, DD doesn't support partitions bigger than 2TB. i still got 47,5 GB unallocated space which is not to see in DD. how can i work around this?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello you-are,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please be aware that the maximum partition size supported by Acronis software is 2TB. Of course, not all file systems support partitions up to 2TB - then Acronis software supports the maximum partition size for that particular file system.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. you-are

so, may i assume that there is also no support for GPT (GUID Partition Table) disks? and if no, when can we expect it?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello you-are,

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Yes, you are right. I'm afraid that Acronis software does not support GUID Partition Table disks at the moment. This feature will probably be implemented in future versions.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.