Making Avast the lowest overhead AV available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kees1958, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It seems to me that you are going around your left leg in order to get to your thumb. :)

For the lowest overhead AV, why not just use Prevx right out of the box, instead of all the bother with Avast?

2. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45 Registered Member

I'm not sure if Kees's bag of tricks does something else, but if you're referring to the persistent caching and transient caching, you have nothing to worry about.

If a file is found to be clean AND has a valid digital signature from a trusted source, then it will never be scanned again.

If a file is found to be clean but doesn't have a valid digital signature, then it will not be scanned again until either the AV signatures have been updated OR the computer is restarted.

Fuzzy

3. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Excellent suggestion, but with SafeOnline.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I hope you don't mean me bellgamin:D I'm tooooo old for such a manoeuvrer. All I want is best prevention from my AV on a W 7 64 bit notebook.

I agree that the focus on performance can be counter productive BUT not all users have my kind of cpu horse power.

Kees has shown the power of policies for me and that is valuable learning as til now my os's haven't had that function.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Not to spoil the party or get too far OT but I have Avast 5.0 free running without the P2P or IM shields, everything else is fired up and for the most part, maxed out in sensitivity. Also, have Prevx paid running alongside and the combo is still lighter than any single av I have used in the past, at least on my machine.

7. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

it is true that avast is very light AV, maybe the lightest

8. Kees1958

Let's just say that I got the Unbearable urge of Being Light :D it can always be configured lighter with nearly the same practical protection

9. Escalader

Out of curiosity, do you turns off p2p and IM because you don't use those functions?

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I don't do any p2p but I IM at times. I just don't download files from IM's.

11. Escalader

Right! Got it. I don't use either (yet) but do you guys know if using IM even though no downloads is a risk by itself?

Sort of like a visit to a site which gives a drive by virus just by visiting.

12. iravgupta

Would you be kind enough to explain that if one does not download files via IM, or click any links shared via IM, how is one at risk, and how will avast's IM shield protect from that scenario. As per my understanding, even if a malicious link is clicked, it will be taken care of by the network or web shields. So what role does the IM shield play anyway?

13. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I never understood that IM shield (from any Vendor) nor P2P for that matter.
    I mean, whatever you download it will be picked up by file shield.

IMO, that exists only for marketing purposes , average Joe can say .. WOW , it can protect me from IM even, that's awesome ! :)

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Shouldn't be if you keep your IM up-to-date. Almost all drive-by attacks only affect unpatched software.

15. Escalader

Not 100% sure that is the whole story on IM or drive by attacks.

Anybody else here have information:doubt:

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive-by_download

I'd say IM is safe, if you're not talking to strangers.

17. progress

progress Guest

The same goes for web shield, mail shield ... :)

18. iravgupta

Really, so whats next a PDF Reader shield? An Office shield? A media player shield? coz as you said drive by download can affect any unpatched software..... But then it bugs me, why did avast! guys choose only IM to protect against drive by attacks. Come on man, make some sense.

19. Kees1958

The group policy which invokes this, see pic

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Attachment Manager

Attached Files:

20. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I believe the reason is that, by default, the settings for downloaded files from IM and P2P programs are tilted more towards safety and less towards performance, compared to the file shield.

21. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

So my Avast! 5 Free is has only File, Network and Behavior Shields.. Is this good enuf? Feels lighter :D

22. Kees1958

23. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I have just installed Avast using those three shields you are using, Eugene. Only 8,000k usage!

I've had Prevx SO installed for about a week, and will be using Kees recommendations for changing the settings week by week. But at the moment Prevx is only using 6,000k. I don't know why, it was at about 16,000k last week, and I haven't changed any settings yet.o_O

If this combination actually provides good protection, that is really amazing, the total usage is only 14,000k.:thumb:

EDIT: Now they are down to 8,400k total. Is that even possible? They both seem to be running normally.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  24. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

@Kees1958
    thanks for the info :D

@justenough
    Good to know :D

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Avast is running better then any suite I have ever tried. So good, it has a 3 year license. Guess I am locked in.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.