Making a new partition on the hdd does not work

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by paesc, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paesc

paesc Registered Member

Sounds nice. So when it needs around 15% of the partition size, that where in my case 15% from 92.1 GB: 13.815 GB. So when I want to install more programs, I think I should leave more empty space for partition C:... Or works ist also with less than 15% left?

Greez
    Paesc

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Paesc:

Yes; I would allow 15% of the partition size for the System Restore files and it would also be prudent to allow 15% or so for future expansion if you decide later to install more programs.

However, if you already have System Restore enabled on the C: drive then System Restore has probably already taken its 15%, so I would check to see if System Restore is already enabled on the C: drive before deciding on a final size for the partition.

Here is an article that describes Shadow Copies and here is another that describes how to change the amount of disk space used by System Restore.

I can relate my experience with Shadow Copies as follows. I have System Restore enabled on my C: (programs) and D: (data) partitions so that shadow copies are generated on each partition. Both partitions are 40 GB each and system restore uses 15% of the disk space, or 6 GB, on each partition. On the C: drive there are constant changes going on with Windows creating log files and modifying the system files and consequently the 6 GB gives me shadow copies on the C: drive going back in time about a week. On the D: drive where I store my data files the changes are less frequent and consequently the 6 GB gives me shadow copies going back in time about a month. Combined with bimonthly images created with TrueImage, this gives me a backup solution that works well for my needs.

3. paesc

paesc Registered Member

Thank you for the detailed notes. I checked the shadow copies settings, and they are still activated for C:. But in Windows help ist mentioned, that when I rebuild an older version of a file or folder, the current version will be deleted - irrecoverable. So everyone has to take care when using shadow copies.

So when I go to the Windows Explorer and check how much space is still taken, then the 15% are still included? If yes, I can go down with space I give to partition C: by creating the new partition K:.

Greez
    Paesc

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Not if you save the file under a different name.
    Yes, the total includes all of the used space on the partition including the system restore files and shadow copies.

I just thought of something else. If you want your newly-resized C partition to reserve 15% of the disk size for shadow copies, and you are resizing by shrinking the partition, then you should probably do the following. First turn off system restore on the drive. Then resize the partition. Finally, turn system restore back on. The result will be that the space reserved for shadow copies will be 15% of the new size of the partition instead of 15% of the old size. You will lose your restore points when you do this but Windows will start creating them again.

5. paesc

paesc Registered Member

Thank you very much for your informations. Now I created the new partition D: Data after deleting the old one D: Recovery (I decided to call it D: Data, not as primarily K: Data; that is clearer).

One question: when I am later deciding to shrink C: one more time, can I combine the new space with the new existing partition D: data? I simulated it, but the new space were only able to combine again with C:. Maybe it was not possible because D: is after the new free space...? That were really nasty.

Greez
    Paesc

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Paesc:

Yes, you can do this. If you're simulating then do this:

a. Run DD and choose "Manual" mode
    b. Resize C: to be smaller, leaving uncommitted free space to the right of C:
    c. Resize D: to be larger by moving the left side of D: to the left, incorporating all of the uncommitted free space.

This should give you the desired partition layout. When you are ready to actually make the changes you should not resize C: while running Vista. Instead, do the following:

1. Run DD from the rescue CD and Shrink C: and leave uncommitted free space between C: and D:
    2. Commit and reboot into Vista
    3. Check to see that C: is now the size that you want.
    4. Run DD in Vista. Expand D: to the left to incorporate the free space between C: and D:
    5. Commit and check to see that D: is now what you want. This operation may take a while to complete if you have a lot of files in D: because the files must be moved. If D: is empty then it will complete quickly.

You can do all of this in the rescue environment while doing the first step, but I prefer doing one thing at a time and checking the outcome before moving to the next step.

7. paesc

paesc Registered Member

That's great... I'm really glad to hear, that I can resize both partitions C: and D: also later.

Can you give me the path? Is it just combinating two partitions?

Greez
    Paesc

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Paesc:

No, you don't want to combine partitions. Basically you are just resizing. You first make C: smaller, leaving free space between the partitions. Then you make D: larger, incorporating the free space. To do this you right-click on the D: partition and choose "Resize". Then drag the left boundary of the D: partition to the left until there is no free space left.

9. paesc

paesc Registered Member

I would like to thank you all very much to help me and for the information! :thumb: You did help me a lot. Good work.

Greez
    Paesc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.