Make your SSD Speed Really Offensive

Discussion in 'hardware' started by DVD+R, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

the 2GB was minimum and maximum, the 1GB was minimum (maximum 16GB) and when i checked the page file size it was at 3.9GB

although i dont see how having 100GB free rather than say 20GB free makes a difference to SSD throughput. the OP used windows experience index to check SSD 'performance' hence the discrepancy in results when changing page file. i bet if you actually copy a file from A to B then it makes no difference in speed if your page file was set to 16GB or 1GB, has anyone tried this?

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Brain,

The above is by Microsoft maximum recommended Pagefile.sys for Windows 7 and Windows 8, this recommendation is shown by Microsoft where you set the Pagefile.sys

Best regards,

3. aladdin

Dear Brian,

Where do you get the maximum 16GB from?

It is based on which type of Windows you have?

I have a 16GB RAM laptop, and according to Microsoft where you set the Pagefile, the maximum recommended Pagefile.sys is 24GB and not 16GB. For Windows 7 it is 1.5 times the RAM on the system.

Best regards,

4. aladdin

Salaams TreeHouse786,

Where did you get 16GB from?

And, something is wrong with your system.

Wa'Salaam

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Affirmative WA Time here :cool:

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Christ! you people are getting all muddle :blink: @treehouse, I can't possible see how the pagefile you set would increase with your settings, it's not physically logical, check your windows task manager and read the cached size.

7. treehouse786

salaam KOR

i got 16GB from OP's opening post.

lol why is something wrong with my system?

8. aladdin

Salaams,

Ramadhan Karim!

The OP is talking about setting the maximum based on the amount of RAM available in one's system. Because he has 16GB RAM on his system, therefore, he set it to 16GB maximum.

Do you 16GB RAM in your system?

If you set it up properly, then on setting and restarting your Pagefile.sys should have been 1GB, which is the minimum.

Wa'Salaam,

Mohamed

9. treehouse786

i'm not sure i follow. i set the page file to a minimum of 1GB and a maximum of 16GB, so why cant the page file take up between 1GB and 16GB like i have stated in the settings? why should it be at 1GB? the maximum is 16GB so why cant it decide it wants to use some of it lol?

@KOR
    ramadhan mubarak!

i have 8GB RAM but i set it to 16GB in PF settings, would putting it to 8GB really make a difference to the results?

EDIT- so to clarify.

originally my page file was set to 2GB min/2GB max. i checked the page file size on my SSD and it was 2GB just like i expected.
    i then set my page file to 1GB min/16GB max, restarted system. i checked the page file size on my SSD and it was 3.9GB just like i expected (between 1GB and 16GB.

whats with the confusion?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

@treehouse :blink: Ok look lets start at the beginning, how much RAM is installed in your computer? If you have 8GB installed set the custom initial size to 1024MB and the maximum to 8192 and then click set/ Apply/ OK, and then it should ask you to reboot. Your pagefile should then be 1024MB = 1GB Thats It! thats all you need to do remember were setting minimum at 1GB = 1024MB so for the maximum 8x1024 = 8192 are you ok with that now :p likewise if you have 16GB installed like what I have then we set at 1024 Min and 16384 Max Your system will most likely never use more than the Minimum setting, but has the potential to use the full 16GB should it find it necessary, which it wont!.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  11. aladdin

Salaams,

If you 8GB RAM, then according to Microsoft the maximum you should set is 12GB for Windows 7, so you have not set it right.

Wa'Salaams

12. treehouse786

thats exactly what i did, maybe you will understand why my system shows 3.9GB usage if you read your own post again, here it comes.

why is it so hard for you to understand that my system is different to yours and my system is for some reason using more than 1GB of the page file

@KOR

i dont think my system is affected by me imposing any sort of limit on my page file. i have decided to set my page file to 1GB min and 8GB max per OP's suggestion just for the heck of it. although early speed tests show no noticeable transfer rate increases which the OP was suggesting.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Oh for Gods sake will you reset the pagefile? tick the box for windows to automatically manage the pagefile for all dives? then reboot, and everything should then be back to windows default then try again. ~~ snipped personal comment ~~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
  14. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Posts with negative personal comments and bickering removed.

I think this thread has played itself out. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.