Make an extracted .exe into an .exe again

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I extracted an .exe with 7-Zip and wanted to make some modifications. If I modify the appropriate file, then is there a way to make it into an .exe again? I found that simple renaming it doesn't work. Do you have to have special software? Thanks. :)

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

3. allizomeniz

Thanks for that, but it's not doing what I'd like it to. I followed the instructions but I might not be doing something right.

What I'm trying to do is modify CCleaner's entry for Avast. It says Avast 6 but I have Avast 7. By extracting the CCleaner.exe file in C:\Program Files, I found the .ini file that has all the names on it, Avast! Antivirus 6 simply has to changed to Avast! Antivirus 7. But then I need to put the files back together again so CCleaner will work normally.

I tried using a winapp2.ini file and it worked, but the entry for Avast 6 is still there along with Avast 7.

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

What I suggested probably would not work for you, sorry. I thought you just wanted to change a file in a self-extracting zip file. I think for your purpose you may want to try Resource Hacker but I do no have any experience with it.

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

5. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Resource Hacker will definitely work for what you are wanting to do. I've used it on CCleaner to edit the relevant ini resource.

6. allizomeniz

Dang, that was easy with Resource Hacker. I have a feeling I'm gonna like this little program. Thanks friends. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.